The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 AM

Bohemian, I didn't have a problem with pitch pockets. Although I know this wood can be pretty resinous I think the fact that it was 80 years or more since it was harvested meant that the resins had had time to harden and maybe this makes this wood work better than fresh DF or even roadkill DF.

The guitar in the photo was made using only temperate woods, mostly from the UK. The bridge is holly which has a very tight-textured grain and worked very well. I like the negative effect of the almost white bridge on darkish soundboard - a little reminiscent of those ivory-bridged Martins from the 19th century.

I'm glad you liked the baritone Sevenpalms. Do you no longer have it?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
I've always wanted to try a guitar with a fir top. But sadly, I've always felt too guilty. Fir is murder, after all.

FWIW, here is the good news...it's not murder after all.

Douglas Fir is not a true fir. It is its own species, called pseudotsuga. True firs are called Abies.

The cones and foliage are quite different.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 06-16-2014, 01:00 PM

The ad for the house I live in said it had "fur floors throughout". THAT I wanted to see.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
The ad for the house I live in said it had "fur floors throughout". THAT I wanted to see.
Well, it's live fur, so it's humane: they've got wall to wall weasels lined up and in place, all of them wearing tiny little nylon webbing muzzles so they can't bite your toes off as you walk barefooted from one room to another. So warm and comfy during those bitter New England winters!

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion