The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Default Pro's / Con's - Active or Passive - or just plug the hole

This has probally been asked before but I still don't know the answer. Which is better, a active of passive pickup system? I just aquired a used DY72 K Yairi 12 string that was previously set up with a pickup. Whatever was installed has been removed and there is no end pin in the guitar, just a 1/2" dia hole. I'm trying to decide what type of system, active or passive, to install or would I be better off just plugging the hole? I don't gig, will never be a guitar god, never have a long line of groupies following me around or sign any autographs due to my music ability. I do want to be able to play with a good sound, though. Not loud, just good. Kinda interested in the K & K Pure but only know what I've read.
I know my cheapest route would be to get a larger end pin and install that in the guitar and have found an ebony one but it requires glueing. Whatever route I take I would to do before I change the string. Suggestions?????

Nela
Old 06-16-2014, 08:14 AM

If you don't think you'll ever amplify don't get a pickup. If you amplify occasionally get a passive pickup or just use a microphone.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Bob Colosi has an oversized endpin that will fit a 1/2" hole where the 1/4' jack receptacle used to be. Or there are dozens of options for pickups both active or passive? I like McIntyre Feather passive soundboard transducers or LR Baggs Lyric active soundboard mics. But there are a lot of K&K fans here too.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nela View Post
This has probally been asked before but I still don't know the answer. Which is better, a active of passive pickup system? I just aquired a used DY72 K Yairi 12 string that was previously set up with a pickup. Whatever was installed has been removed and there is no end pin in the guitar, just a 1/2" dia hole. I'm trying to decide what type of system, active or passive, to install or would I be better off just plugging the hole? I don't gig, will never be a guitar god, never have a long line of groupies following me around or sign any autographs due to my music ability. I do want to be able to play with a good sound, though. Not loud, just good. Kinda interested in the K & K Pure but only know what I've read.
I know my cheapest route would be to get a larger end pin and install that in the guitar and have found an ebony one but it requires glueing. Whatever route I take I would to do before I change the string. Suggestions?????

Nela
Nela.....i don't really see the need of having a pickup if you don't plan on
playing live. If you plan on recording then I'd definitely use mic's. I record acoustic guitars quite a bit and every pick up I tried just didn't cut it. So,
I bought mic's and never looked back.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:38 AM

StewMac also has an oversize endpin. It uses a screw to hold it in place. The screw is on the inside, and won't be seen.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'll be doing any recording, I do play with a group of folks a couple of times a month but can get by without a pickup. Found a couple of end pin plug I like but they glue in and would require drilling (reaming) if I ever decided to go the pickup route. I could just get a plug in end pin and install it without any electronics, too. Several options out there for end pins. Still like to gather some info on passive vs active systems, though.

nela
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Best place to get those answers is in the "Electrified" section of this forum. Be prepared to get as many different answers/opinions as there are models of pickups on the market. But there are a lot of folks with a lot of knowledge who are always happy to help you...best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nela View Post
Which is better, a active of passive pickup system? I just aquired a used DY72 K Yairi 12 string that was previously set up with a pickup. Whatever was installed has been removed and there is no end pin in the guitar, just a 1/2" dia hole. I'm trying to decide what type of system, active or passive, to install or would I be better off just plugging the hole? I don't gig, will never be a guitar god, never have a long line of groupies following me around or sign any autographs due to my music ability. I do want to be able to play with a good sound, though. Not loud, just good. Kinda interested in the K & K Pure but only know what I've read.
I know my cheapest route would be to get a larger end pin and install that in the guitar and have found an ebony one but it requires glueing. Whatever route I take I would to do before I change the string. Suggestions?
The K&K or some other passive SBT system would definitely be best for you (an active system requires a battery in the guitar and if you're rarely, if ever, going to use it then it'll be nothing but a problem). Personally, I prefer Schatten Design pickups and have their HFN passives in all of my instruments, except the J-09 (has an HFN active because the guitar originally came with an active UST pickup and preamp controls on the upper bout (like a Taylor) and I wanted to re-use the holes).

As others have suggested you can also just get an end pin to suit the hole. This option might be best if you play with a strap and put it on and off frequently (end pin preamps have notoriously lousy strap buttons).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:10 PM

I would go with something like a K&K.
But I plug in weekly.
I have two with transducers, and one with a magnetic pickup.
Both types have good and bad points.
My guitars with transducer have controls on the side, but are otherwise pretty invisible.
If you might one day plug in consider some kind of passive pickup.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion