The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Default pickguard help

In a bit of over-enthusiastic playing, I put a deep nick in the pickguard of my new 2013 000-18. It appears now that some of the surface layer on the pickguard is beginning to peal. I am not obsessive about nicks and scratches; is there something I can do or need to do? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM

Are you sure this isn't the pickguard's peel-off protective shipping layer? You'd have to be playing with carpenter's nails instead of fingernails (or a pick) to nick most pickguards, and I've never heard of the top layer of a pickguard peeling other than what I've already asked about.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

Last edited by reholli; 06-16-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: ...spelling...
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
I you sure this isn't the pickguard's peel-off protective shipping layer? You'd have to be playing with carpenter's nails instead of fingernails (or a pick) to nick most pickguards, and I've never heard of the top layer of a pickguard peeling other than what I've already asked about.
Exactly what I was thinking. Did you ever peel off the protective plastic?
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
I you sure this isn't the pickguard's peel-off protective shipping layer? You'd have to be playing with carpenter's nails instead of fingernails (or a pick) to nick most pickguards, and I've never heard of the top layer of a pickguard peeling other than what I've already asked about.
+1... is the the protective plastic layer on top? if so, just peel it off and go.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:11 AM

A MAJOR RED FACE!! Why didn't I think of that? The long drive back from our campsite in far SE OK must have dulled my wits and deadened my good sense. Once again AGF provides the right answer. I just removed the protective plastic layer; all is well. MANY THANKS TO ALL WHO PROVIDED JUST THE RIGHT ADVICE.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 AM

So glad all is well...

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion