The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-04-2024, 12:11 PM

I do appreciate a pickguard when other people play my guitars. Some of them get kind of crazy town.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 04-04-2024, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Despite how well built my Gurian is in every other respect, its pick guard just fell off one day in the early 80s, probably due to the temperature extremes I subjected it to back then. The little black teardrop is still in the case, and to this day the top has a “tan line” in the guard area.
You make a good point regarding what I call the "farmer's tan." A strong argument (if one is inclined to remove a pickguard) for doing it early on, before the wood starts changing color. It's one reason I didn't wait any longer on my 3-year-old Eastman. Luckily, I didn't find much contrast under the pickguard, thanks to the whitest top I've ever owned (Sitka spruce I think). No doubt your Gurian is very well built (weak adhesive under a superficial plastic pickguard notwithstanding).

Before pulling mine off, I did some research to see if I could buy an exact replacement (no dice) or have a replica made (Holter pickguards) if I needed to cover it up again. Since there's no tan noted I won't need to replace it. For what it's worth, mine came off in one piece anyway and kept its shape, so it can be glued back on if that urge ever strikes. That's not the Eastman in these pics BTW.

For those who don't have a pickguard and want one (but don't like the looks of them), I've seen clear ones. My Larrivée C-03 in the pics below had one, semi-matte (non-reflective) finish. Very handsome IMHO, you couldn't tell it was there. Ironically, the only visible wear I put on that guitar was on the unprotected edge of the sound hole. Nothing a pickguard would've prevented regardless of the color.

I regard this as normal wear and tear, and nothing that might diminish the value (for me anyway) of a working guitar. Another reason (among many) that I don't buy $10,000 instruments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7978.jpg (29.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7576.jpg (52.6 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-04-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I’ve done it. But for aesthetic reasons. Never heard a difference.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-04-2024, 01:16 PM

I don't use 'em, but I don't remove 'em. Wish they put 'em above the soundhole and fretboard, where I need 'em.
Old 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I don't use 'em, but I don't remove 'em. Wish they put 'em above the soundhole and fretboard, where I need 'em.
That's where a clear one might be useful, a left-hander upside down above the sound hole - if they make one.
Old 04-04-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Despite how well built my Gurian is in every other respect, its pick guard just fell off one day in the early 80s, probably due to the temperature extremes I subjected it to back then. The little black teardrop is still in the case, and to this day the top has a “tan line” in the guard area.
The original black one on my JR also came off. But being from 1978 I decided to go with a very non-traditional tortoise replacement from Holter. Looks great!
Old 04-04-2024, 08:18 PM

Benefits of removing a pickguard? I'm glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
I do appreciate a pickguard when other people play my guitars. Some of them get kind of crazy town.
I fingerpick using my nails as picks. Thus I really don't really need a pickguard. I have nothing against one. But I am glad to have guitars with pickguards, because I will not let anyone play one of mine that lacks a pickguard. Sorry, not sorry.

I am ambivalent about pickguards, cutaways, and on-board electronics. I have guitars that lack one or more of that trio. Best pickguard on a guitar that I own is on my rosewood Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra. The pickguard is a slice of diagonally striped rosewood, and is accompanied by a tasteful streaked ebony fretboard. And no bearclaw need apply.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 04-04-2024, 08:58 PM

Pickguards are there for a reason.

I trust the people who build guitars for a living to decide whether or not a pickguard is a good idea.

YMMV et cetera ad infinitum.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:09 PM

I take all mine off, just like the looks of it. Any change in sound is very slight, if at all.
Old 04-04-2024, 11:00 PM

I had mine taken off on both my guitars, a GS mini and a Martin Junior. I felt that it made the guitar much louder and more resonate.

However if you like to remove it, do it early before a tan line appears!
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 04-04-2024, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I guess that I’ve not noticed a marked difference one way or the other. I’m picky about the look of a pick guard. Of my 5 guitars, 3 have clear pick guards, 1 is a faux tortoise, and one was shipped with a black pick guard in the case and I never found a need to put it on.
I’ve also never felt strongly about removing one but certainly understand why someone would want to if they didn’t care for how it looked. Definitely another one of those personal preference things.
Best,
Jayne
Old 04-05-2024, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Funny. In 60 years of playing guitars I have never once considered removing a pick guard. Never found them aesthetically unappealing and figured they were there for a reason. I have 2 guitars I purchased long ago, my Breedlove 12 string and a Marin classical, that came without pick guards. Both have seen considerable wear and tear where the pick guard would have been. So for my style of playing I would say they server a very useful purpose.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion