The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 09:07 AM

Default Round Core Strings

I've been on the search for the best set of strings for my Iris JB. About a month ago I put on a set of Mangen round core PB's. My first impression was that I had found the perfect set for this guitar. Loved the playability and tone. I was planning on ordering a few sets the next time I needed strings.

I slowly began to realize that I was spending an inordinate amount of time just trying to get the guitar in tune. I'm not talking about going out of tune, but just tuning it. Hearing the intervals, harmonics, etc. It's like the fundamental note is smeared.

I generally just get A440 and then tune by ear. I have tried using my Snark tuner, but I can't get satisfactory results with that either. I always need to sweeten it, and wind up fussing around again.

Yesterday I gave up and put on a set of Retros, and the tuning problems disappeared. So now I'm wondering. Is this typical? Has anyone else experienced this?

I know someone will bring this up, so to nip it in the bud. I know how to string a guitar. I'm not cutting before locking and winding. Never do.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:15 AM

Round Core Strings

You might want to check your string changing methods.

I use hexagonal core strings, but there has been a lot of chatter about not pre-cutting round core strings while re-stringing. They are prone to slippage that way. Wait until you are strung before cutting seems to be the order of the day. Check it out.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-05-2024, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

With some of the round cores I've used, the manufacturer recommends waiting until you're tuned to pitch before cutting. I haven't had any issues when doing that. OP, I'm not sure if "winding" means fully tuned to pitch, but disregard if so.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I tried the CM round core PB but they were not the fit for my bright guitar. I have the CM round core Monels now and they match much better, and are the most stable tuned strings I have ever had on my guitar. I rarely need more than the slightest tweak.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:33 AM

Guys, I appreciate the replies, but it's not about string slippage, or string changing technique. My problem is with hearing intervals and pitch while tuning. I haven't had that problem with other non-round core strings. Like I said above, it's kind of like the fundamental note is smeared and it's more difficult to match pitch.

It's probably just me.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:03 AM

I agree with Jamolay; CM round core Monels are my go to strings for all my mahogany guitars. I'm not sure why your guitar would not stay in tune with them, but I have never experienced that. At the least, if I were you, I would try the Mangen hex core Monels over the Retros for the increased volume and better tone.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:12 AM

I was endorsed by Curt Mangen strings for over a decade and still use them on a few of my guitars. I never noticed any issues like this with their round cores.
Old 05-05-2024, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Nope. Never had a problem tuning new strings, round core or otherwise and I don't always use a tuner but I find they are generally 'close enough for country music.' (Lol, I heard Doc Watson say that to son Merle who was tuning between songs when they were on the main stage of the Winnipeg Folk festival in I think 1981 or 82.)
Old 05-05-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosette View Post
With some of the round cores I've used, the manufacturer recommends waiting until you're tuned to pitch before cutting. I haven't had any issues when doing that. OP, I'm not sure if "winding" means fully tuned to pitch, but disregard if so.
Ya know, I think you may have hit on something that I missed when first reading responses. I bring them up to a tension so that they are not flopping around, but not necessarily up to pitch before cutting. Hmmmm....
Old 05-05-2024, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 View Post
Guys, I appreciate the replies, but it's not about string slippage, or string changing technique. My problem is with hearing intervals and pitch while tuning. I haven't had that problem with other non-round core strings. Like I said above, it's kind of like the fundamental note is smeared and it's more difficult to match pitch.

It's probably just me.
It's a known issue with round core strings, and it very well may be your technique. If you cut the string too soon both tone and intonation can become wonky. But, in my experience, that would happen even sometimes when I didn't.

I used to use DR Sunbeams on my Northwood, but stopped because of that very issue. Even following the installation instructions to the letter, about every 3rd or 4th string change I'd have one of the wound strings be unusable.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-05-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
It's a known issue with round core strings, and it very well may be your technique. If you cut the string too soon both tone and intonation can become wonky. But, in my experience, that would happen even sometimes when I didn't.

I used to use DR Sunbeams on my Northwood, but stopped because of that very issue. Even following the installation instructions to the letter, about every 3rd or 4th string change I'd have one of the wound strings be unusable.
Well, that's interesting. Just to show how clueless I am, I've been using DR SB's as the string of choice for my J45 for at least a year. I had no idea they were round core. Now, in my defense, it doesn't even mention the fact on the packaging except in small writing on the back.

So, it turns out I've been using round core strings with no problems for a while now. I install them with the exact same technique as the CM's.

Oh well. I'm liking the Retros at the moment. I might try one of his round core monel sets next time I order strings.

Appreciate you all.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

I always let round cores sit a day at pitch before trimming.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-05-2024, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I've used round cores for years, on electrics, acoustics, bass, and never had any pitch or overtone issues at all. And, I'm REALLY sensitive to that stuff. I also use techniques like wrapping the string over itself, putting tension on it while doing the first wraps, using minimal wraps, etc. Round cores have been good to me.
Old 05-05-2024, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I've used several different brands of round core strings over the years (including Mangan Rd Core Monels) and have not had any tuning issues.
Old 05-05-2024, 05:41 PM

I’m also a big fan of Curt Mangan strings. I use the round core phosphor bronze and round core monel strings on several guitars, and have been for several years.

I’ve never experienced what the OP described. I do bring the strings up to normal standard tuning before trimming the wild ends. Yes even on my slot heads. Even the 12 string slot head (yes I know it’s only necessary for the wound strings).

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion