The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-13-2024, 12:58 PM
Musical minimalist

Default RIP David Sanborn....

a huge part of the soundtrack of my life for the last 45 years.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:01 PM

I love Benny from 'Upfront'..

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 05-13-2024, 02:31 PM

Oh wow. Sad.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:10 PM

A long and varied career, but I think of him as the host of the short-lived eclectic TV music show "Night Music."

The highlights of that series were as wonderful as anything ever done with music on American broadcast TV. Their prime trick was a crack house band with the host Sandborn also playing sax and combing forces with various musical guests for one-time collaborations that were revealing and entertaining.

Pick one that looks interesting from this rollup of the shows and don't be surprised if you spend some time playing other episodes.

Night Music TV show roll up

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-14-2024, 05:49 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

Pick one that looks interesting from this rollup of the shows and don't be surprised if you spend some time playing other episodes.

Night Music TV show roll up
Thanks for that - somehow I missed this.

The Hideaway album came out right after I started working at the record store in '79 and I've been a fan since.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:02 PM

When my wife and I started dating in the early 90’s we listened to a lot of David Sanborn, Bob James, Rippington’s, Earl Klugh….that kind of stuff. It was the background music to a great love affair.

Though I haven’t listen to his music in quite some time, being somewhat sentimental, this makes me at once happy and sad.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:51 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
When my wife and I started dating in the early 90’s we listened to a lot of David Sanborn, Bob James, Rippington’s, Earl Klugh….that kind of stuff. It was the background music to a great love affair.

Though I haven’t listen to his music in quite some time, being somewhat sentimental, this makes me at once happy and sad.
The song I posted the link to was the same for me - my first real girlfriend (senior year in high school) was Lisa. We listed to Hideaway a lot.

Old 05-14-2024, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I’ll always think of this clip of him, Eric Clapton and Sheryl Crow performing Little Wing. I love the expressions on the band members faces when he takes off. And, I swear, it looks like he split his lip in the performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnN9icrtl44

Last edited by K20C; 05-14-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

So sad...another great gone. RIP!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-15-2024, 08:44 PM

RIP. The guy could shred avant garde stuff, too. Back in the 90s I heard him at the Knitting Factory with John Zorn, Sonny Sharrock, and a couple others. Just about tore my face off. Amazing!
Old 05-16-2024, 12:54 AM
Charter Member

Such sad news. Saw him in the early ’90s at the Shoreline Amphitheater. Our seats were very close to the stage, and the concert was incredible. He contracted polio when a young child, spent a year in an iron lung, and had to relearn how to walk. A doctor suggested playing the saxophone to strengthen his lungs.

Lots more here…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/oth...78/ar-BB1mp3Ch
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

Last edited by seannx; 05-16-2024 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

RIP Mr. Sanborn. You will be missed by many.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 05-24-2024, 01:59 AM
Musical minimalist

I ran across Marcus Miller's tribute to David -

I've been struggling to put into words how deeply David Sanborn's passing is affecting me.

Dave was older than me by 14 years, which seemed like a huge difference when I met him - I was 19, he was 33 - I considered him MUCH older than me 😆.

But as the years went by, we became closer and closer in age - you all know how that works. So we did a lot of growing together later in life as equals, making music, navigating the art of making music - navigating the art of life.

I carry the sound of Dave’s horn in my ear - which is what allowed me to write music that worked for him.
SO many songs…

Dave used to say that playing them was like putting on a tailor made suit! I think that's because I paid attention.

I listened to his stories: stories about his early years growing up playing in blues bars at the age of 14.

I noticed when a tune came on the tour bus radio that made him smile. I studied the sax players he revered, like Ray Charles' sax player Hank Crawford. So I had what I needed to make musical "suits" that fit Dave well. I knew what he needed in a song.

I totally remember the feeling I got when Dave first played "All I Need (Is You to Love)”, one of the first songs I wrote for Dave. It was such a comfortable feeling. I remember saying to myself, "Yup, that's what I hoped it would sound like.." I'd already heard it in my head because I already knew his sound.

Dave knew me, too. He actually pointed out my future wife to me on a flight back in the early 80's. As I boarded the plane (I was late of course and the last one to board) Dave, who was already seated, said to me as I passed by, "Row 17, that's you, man!!" Then he sat back, smiling ☺️. He said he could hear me talking - said he'd never heard me run my mouth like that…
38 years of marriage and 4 grown kids later…❤️ Dave was proud of that. He'd tear up whenever he told the story.

One of the earliest and longest lasting bands Dave had featured Hiram Bullock on guitar and myself on bass. We would flank Dave and add crazy energy to Dave’s show. Hiram, with his wireless guitar, would jump off the stage and run through the audience, up to the mezzanine and back down again, while playing a WILD solo. The audience would go NUTS. I'll never forget seeing how much Dave enjoyed watching the whole thing. Or when I'd go into a crazy bass solo - Dave would sit back and enjoy it with a proud look on his face. It was HIS show but he had no problem watching us do our thing. Then Hiram got ME a wireless! Oh it was ON then! We'd be out there for like, 10 minutes! (Shout out to Buddy Williams, Don Grolnick, Sugar Bear and Ronnie Miller from that band..)

So many stories..

Sending love to Dave’s wife, Alice who arrived in his life in time to show him a love that he cherished and needed. I'll never forget the two of them showing up at the concert hall, Alice smiling, with Dave's sax on her back.. They met 8 or 9 years ago and she was by his side for every note and every breath - including his last..🌈

I'll have to do more than one post - too much to tell..
I'm full of never-ending gratitude for the chance to know, laugh and make music with David Sanborn. Working with him as a young bassist, I evolved into a producer, composer, arranger, a band leader, businessman and an artist - all because of the incredible confidence David had in me to do it all at a very young age. I worked with Luther Vandross, Miles Davis and a bunch of others, using all the skills and confidence David Sanborn helped me develop…

Love you man, we'll carry your sound in our heads forever..
Rest in peace, brother.
Marcus

Old 05-25-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I ran across Marcus Miller's tribute to David -

I've been struggling to put into words how deeply David Sanborn's passing is affecting me.

Dave was older than me by 14 years, which seemed like a huge difference when I met him - I was 19, he was 33 - I considered him MUCH older than me 😆.

But as the years went by, we became closer and closer in age - you all know how that works. So we did a lot of growing together later in life as equals, making music, navigating the art of making music - navigating the art of life.

I carry the sound of Dave’s horn in my ear - which is what allowed me to write music that worked for him.
SO many songs…

Dave used to say that playing them was like putting on a tailor made suit! I think that's because I paid attention.

I listened to his stories: stories about his early years growing up playing in blues bars at the age of 14.

I noticed when a tune came on the tour bus radio that made him smile. I studied the sax players he revered, like Ray Charles' sax player Hank Crawford. So I had what I needed to make musical "suits" that fit Dave well. I knew what he needed in a song.

I totally remember the feeling I got when Dave first played "All I Need (Is You to Love)”, one of the first songs I wrote for Dave. It was such a comfortable feeling. I remember saying to myself, "Yup, that's what I hoped it would sound like.." I'd already heard it in my head because I already knew his sound.

Dave knew me, too. He actually pointed out my future wife to me on a flight back in the early 80's. As I boarded the plane (I was late of course and the last one to board) Dave, who was already seated, said to me as I passed by, "Row 17, that's you, man!!" Then he sat back, smiling ☺️. He said he could hear me talking - said he'd never heard me run my mouth like that…
38 years of marriage and 4 grown kids later…❤️ Dave was proud of that. He'd tear up whenever he told the story.

One of the earliest and longest lasting bands Dave had featured Hiram Bullock on guitar and myself on bass. We would flank Dave and add crazy energy to Dave’s show. Hiram, with his wireless guitar, would jump off the stage and run through the audience, up to the mezzanine and back down again, while playing a WILD solo. The audience would go NUTS. I'll never forget seeing how much Dave enjoyed watching the whole thing. Or when I'd go into a crazy bass solo - Dave would sit back and enjoy it with a proud look on his face. It was HIS show but he had no problem watching us do our thing. Then Hiram got ME a wireless! Oh it was ON then! We'd be out there for like, 10 minutes! (Shout out to Buddy Williams, Don Grolnick, Sugar Bear and Ronnie Miller from that band..)

So many stories..

Sending love to Dave’s wife, Alice who arrived in his life in time to show him a love that he cherished and needed. I'll never forget the two of them showing up at the concert hall, Alice smiling, with Dave's sax on her back.. They met 8 or 9 years ago and she was by his side for every note and every breath - including his last..🌈

I'll have to do more than one post - too much to tell..
I'm full of never-ending gratitude for the chance to know, laugh and make music with David Sanborn. Working with him as a young bassist, I evolved into a producer, composer, arranger, a band leader, businessman and an artist - all because of the incredible confidence David had in me to do it all at a very young age. I worked with Luther Vandross, Miles Davis and a bunch of others, using all the skills and confidence David Sanborn helped me develop…

Love you man, we'll carry your sound in our heads forever..
Rest in peace, brother.
Marcus
Such a good tribute.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic