The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-03-2022, 07:11 AM

I generally find D'Addario strings too bright the first week and with less than great longevity. They're not bad, but for me they're not great.

My Lowden came with Elixirs. It's never had another set after the first. They're OK, but I only use them on my 12 string because I rarely play it and I don't want to change the strings.

I've tried a lot of strings and I keep coming back to Straight Up Strings. I like the sound, the feel and the nearly legendary longevity.

But players like what they like, and the sorry answer is you won't really know until you purchase a set of each.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-03-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Unfortunately the D'Addario EXP's have been replaced with their XT range which I haven't tried yet...

Correction. Although the XT strings are thinly coated, my understanding is that the EXP replacement is the XS strings, which I have purchased, but not yet tried. I have been using the XT Strings and do like them. I really liked the EXP Strings and used them for years. Fortunately I still have a few sets to use, but first I'm going to try the XS strings.
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 03-03-2022, 09:08 PM

I've tried to tell folks to try the new Black Diamond strings but they mostly turn their nose up at my suggestion because BD's are not known as the cOoL brands used nowadays and I've tried them all. I took a great big $6 gamble on a set awhile back and won big time.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Unfortunately the D'Addario EXP's have been replaced with their XT range which I haven't tried yet - I used the EXP38 12-string PB set for many years.

I preferred them over Elixir for feel - Elixir are simply too slippery for me.

DR Sunbeam Lights are superb strings, great feel, balance and tone on the right guitar - lifted my relatively inexpensive laminate Epiphone EJ-200 to a different level - round-cores, take care installing them.

Action on all my guitars is as close as I can get to 2.25mm at the 12th fret 6E string.

I use .012 lights on all my guitars, I'm mostly a strummer.

Still enjoying experimenting with strings on my Gibson SJ-200 but I've nailed it down to rotating between these 3 pictured.

The Curt Mangans are great!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion