The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-30-2024, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi, me again, The bloke that hates coated strings.

I now have three guitars (0,00 and 000) with XS light strings on.

My first set went on my new to me '99 Collings 00 and they came off after about three weeks to be replaced by Ej16s

I put the used XS on my E20-P (size 0) and seem bright and happy so far. (and very loud).

Second set went to my Eastman E40-00 and the match is near perfect. They have brought something more out of the guitar.

Same thing with the third set - on my Collings 0002h -fuller, clearer and louder.

So I moved to mediums - 1st set on my Collings DS2h - OK... I think, and I fitted another set on my DS1 this morning.

As I said initially, at 76, my eyes, ears and hands are going off now -and I'm playing less, but ...

Thoughts so far.
1. XS strings sound "odd" initially. A bit like an acoustic with a pick up.
2. This mellows down a little after 1-2 weeks, but still sound a little odd.
3. They "seem" to be louder than EJs
4. Comparing tensions according to D'add packaging - they are very slightly lighter.
5. They stay looking new! (obviously)
6. Mando Bob using them on his mando and has seen from feathering.

Awaiting delivery of 2 x XS medium PBs for my third Collings dread and my Santa Cruz RS.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Andy, I just put a set of XS PB lights on my 000-18.
I did the same the last string change for my 000-18 as well. I had Martin Monels on there before, which really feel good to me. The XS strings sound nice on the guitar and I guess we’ll find out how long they last. This guitar is kept in CGCFCE tuning. The bad thing about such a low tuning is that once the strings get thumpy you hear it right away.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-30-2024, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

As far as coated/treated strings go, they’re my favorites, over the XT and earlier EXP sets (though I’ve got one more set of those to work through someday), and have also supplanted Lifespans, which I used for years.

I’ve been using the XS PB sets in mandolin for a couple years and have not noticed feathering. Maybe it’s the pick material or just technique? (I’m not a super hard player but do play in bluegrass jams so not timid, either.)

I have noticed discoloration on the 80/20 set I have on one guitar, but they still sound fine. My skin doesn’t seem to bother PB sets so this was a surprise.

I’m going to try a medium set on my other OM, now that I’ve gotten my fingers used to the idea (with a less expensive set of Lifespans).
Old 04-30-2024, 06:58 AM

I like them...I have a set on my Taylor AD17e been on there for at least 6 months

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-30-2024, 07:05 AM

Andy: XS strings are “fuller, clearer, and louder.”

Yes, this has also been my experience. I think in nearly every guitar I’ve noticed a bump in the volume. I also love the tension of these strings. They’re just perfect for me. My string bag used to have various brands, but now I run XS strings on every guitar except one, which gets Martin Monels (great at toning down overtones!). I’m still mystified at how many guitars across the spectrum take the XS’s so well. Great strings.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Always been a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to strings, purchasing the most inexpensive uncoated/untreated strings I could find. But recently curiosity got the best of me and I tried using some Elixir strings...and immediately became a fan. Have a few sets of D'addario XS in my string stash waiting to be tested also.

Gotta say I really do like the slippery feel of the Elixir strings as I do a lot of slides while playing. And they sound gorgeous to me. Recently put a set of HD Light 13-53's on my HD-28. Really liking them.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion