The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-07-2024, 08:16 AM

Default Jazz amp w/mic input, does it exist?

I've recently purchased an archtop and am doing a deep dive into the jazz standards as well as Sinatra/Bennett/Torme, but in addition to playing the archtop, I also do vocals, stuff like "Fly Me to the Moon", "Satin Doll", "The Way You Look Tonight", "Since I Fell For You" etc.

I'm looking for a "jazz" amp, something that will complement my Epiphone Archtop and provide that warm, rich sound, while also having an XLR input so that I can use one amp for both guitar and vocals.

There are many "acoustic" amps that have an XLR input, but I don't know that they are voiced specifically for an archtop and for that warm jazz sound. Is there something out there, preferably under $1000 that would do what I'm looking for. I did see one video on Youtube in which the AER Compact 60/4 came highly recommended for archtops. Unfortunately it is well north of $1000. I was hoping to find something a bit less expensive, anyone have an amp closer to the $1000 price range they really like the sound of with their archtop?
Old 04-07-2024, 08:50 AM

You might be able to find a used Henricksen amp within your budget. These are widely hailed as superb amps for archtops. But aside from that, I find acoustic amps can create beautiful tones paired with archtops. I play many outdoor venues that do not have current available, so I use a battery powered Fishman Loudbox Mini, often with my Gibson L-5 CES, and I have no trouble dialing in satisfying tones with that combo.

Last edited by Bluemonk; 04-07-2024 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-07-2024, 08:54 AM

You might consider the Taylor Circa 74 guitar / vocal amp.

Old 04-07-2024, 09:33 AM

I've just bought one. An Acus One for Wood 10
Has three xlr's for mics and a couple of guitar inputs as well as a specific jazz guitar input. An amazing bit of kit. 350w

Very rare on the ground so I'm not sure how easy it'll be to find one.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:04 AM

I know that electric guitar people go on and on about tubes and amp classes and such, but I've used a modestly priced Roland AC-60 and gotten what sounds to my ears like a classic jazz sound. It's also fairly lightweight (21 pounds), with two channels (one with an 1/4" XLR jack with phantom power), decent signal processing, and more output connections than I've ever used.

I now tend to bring a Henriksen Blu Six, mostly because it weighs even less than the Roland (12 pounds)--though it's single-channel. If I'd felt like spending more, I'd have gone with the two-channel Bud Six. (And if my shoulders were ten years younger, I'd have gone with a Bud Ten--10" speaker, two channels--but 20 pounds).
Old 04-10-2024, 10:16 AM

I borrowed a Fishman Loudbox for a gig like this and it worked splendidly.

I did bring my Tech 21 Blonde pedal to use as a Fender voiced preamp for the guitar (A Heritage 575) but the guitar sounded great plugged into the instrument channel as is too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops