The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
OH, you mean this piece of crap...

I've seen a lot of this wood over the years (I think Lance and I went to look at some for the first time about 15 years ago) but really nothing I've seen has compared to this set. Anybody who knows anything about quilted wood knows that when it's "book matched" it's never really the same on both sides, this piece is almost a perfect mirror image from one to the other

Just to be clear Harv, I hate you right now!

It still hurts to see that set...I'm glad I have a guitar made out of one just as nice. I regret doing a cut-a-way because I lost he mirror image of the "Thumbprint in the upper bout. Excuse the photo I just held it up to my old laptop camera.

As to my wife...do not show her anything with Nylon strings...or really easy to play...all my life I've managed to not perform with a lover or spouse of mine or anyone else's in the band...it's too late to start now...
Old 01-09-2012, 01:01 PM

A lot of those woods are very unique looking, but it's just too much bling for my taste. I'm pretty traditional when it comes to acoustic guitars.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnvol View Post
A lot of those woods are very unique looking, but it's just too much bling for my taste. I'm pretty traditional when it comes to acoustic guitars.
I understand but have never considered wood "bling" myself. I think of bling as something added to the design like your name inlayed on the head stock or fingerboard. I guess if I wanted fancy inlay I'd want a more plain wood. I think having both is rarely a good idea.

There is something special about a fine flamed Koa or Maple. I find beauty in fine straight grained Brazilian Rosewood too...and prefer that over the curly Brazilian. I does some down to sound and "The Tree" has something very unique in Honduran Mahogany. It's got more power and complexity IMHO. It stands alone tonally. But then again I love the stuff so I will find praises to sing about. Even if only in my own mind.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
*mahoganut*

****sigh****

Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
I understand but have never considered wood "bling" myself. I think of bling as something added to the design like your name inlayed on the head stock or fingerboard. I guess if I wanted fancy inlay I'd want a more plain wood. I think having both is rarely a good idea.

There is something special about a fine flamed Koa or Maple. I find beauty in fine straight grained Brazilian Rosewood too...and prefer that over the curly Brazilian. I does some down to sound and "The Tree" has something very unique in Honduran Mahogany. It's got more power and complexity IMHO. It stands alone tonally. But then again I love the stuff so I will find praises to sing about. Even if only in my own mind.
I hear you and I agree. I have electrics with insane flame and exotic woods. I just love the understated look of a plain old spruce/mahogany acoustic. Just my preference.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Kinda hurts don't it...ouch.

I'm sure Harvey would build a phenomenal Voyage-Air out of it for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
****sigh****

Old 01-09-2012, 05:43 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Kinda hurts don't it...ouch.

I'm sure Harvey would build a phenomenal Voyage-Air out of it for you!
Oh you're no help at ALL!!

And, for the record, I sent my PM to Harvey BEFORE you posted this...

Sigh. Such is life. I promised that 7, being of course one of the perfect numbers, was the limit. Which means I lose one or break my word. Decisions, decisions!!!

Sorry for the derail, folks. Maybe there should be a "tree" subforum? Harvey, Jay, and I could keep it going!

One on-topic comment - someone posted earlier that the wood was hard to bend. While I'm sure that's true, several builders (Baranik, McKnight, many others) have been using double sides in their builds and that lowers the likelihood of a bend problem substantially I'm told. So, don't be "afraid" of this highly figured wood if you like how it looks and sounds.

Phil
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM

...it's the only wood I'm actually afraid to bend... I think my favorite quote is for people who ask "Can you do a soft cutaway?" is "sure, as long as you don't mind if it's pointed"
Most woods give you some sort of warning but with the Tree you sometimes don't know you've cracked it until you take it out of the bender. The sausage tend to be harder to bend than the blister in my experience.

As for availability, I expect it will keep turning up in small amounts. The original milling of the log yielded 12,000 bf of lumber, as has been mentioned, most went to furniture (and paneling at Skywalker Ranch) but like Brazilian, a lot of furniture can be replaced at the going rate for this wood.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post

Ya know Jay, I have some really nice LS that I cherry picked from several hundred sets :^)

p.s. what was your wife's cell # again???
Harv, Yeah, maybe if I gave you the whole board you'd build me a guitar with that set and an LS Top!! Maybe! My wife would certainly make me life in that guitar so it would have to be a jumbo! This stuff is stiff enough, I've got some matching backs, we to do an ALL "Tree" guitar.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Harv, Yeah, maybe if I gave you the whole board you'd build me a guitar with that set and an LS Top!! Maybe! My wife would certainly make me life in that guitar so it would have to be a jumbo! This stuff is stiff enough, I've got some matching backs, we to do an ALL "Tree" guitar.

An all-tree would be interesting...
...I'm really wanting to do a Millennium RW/Tree guitar... it'd have more figure than Beyoncé!!! Probably sing like her as well!

Harv

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion