The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2004, 08:55 AM

Default JLD Bridge System

This came up on another thread and I'm gathering info. Does anyone have experience with this device?? Fixes warped tops, prevents warped tops, improves tone.. Breedlove Guitars come with one (or a version of) from the factory..

http://www.jldguitar.com/
Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 AM

They are located out of Roswell New Mexico, so it's most likely alien technology.

I had a Breedlove SC25 and it sounded pretty nice. Top was nice and flat after 2 years.
The miserable faces of the lonely people walking by
Thousands, millions, lonely people
And I realize I should move

Corky and the Juice Pigs
Old 05-10-2004, 09:51 AM

I had one installed in my 35 year old American-made Epiphone 12-string, which was top-bulging so badly that it was unplayable. It corrected the problems, and the guitar has been fine ever since.

Yoda
Old 05-10-2004, 01:45 PM

I ordered one from Stew Mac. I'll see how it goes..

Now where's my drill??
Old 05-12-2004, 06:13 PM

Stew Mac rocks.. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Wed.

Can't locate my drill. Gotta buy one.. Arghghgh...
Old 05-12-2004, 06:23 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Head on over to the 13th fret and ask around. I recall some discussion of this years ago, and lots of luthiers hang out there.

http://www.13thfret.com/cgi-bin/futureforum.cgi

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 05-12-2004, 06:45 PM

Thanks, Jeff M. I've searched a few websites but not 13th fret. That's a new one to me. It seems to be 50/50 about the use of this thing. It does seem to give new life to a warped top condition, sometimes with tone, sometimes without. Installed on a cheap guitar, it makes the guitar better, or that seems to be the word. Yada, yada, yada..

The Yairi I wanna try it on is not gonna be worse for wear if it doesn't work. Even with a hole drilled through the bridge and top it'll prolly have more mojo if the JLD doesn't work.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:19 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Here is the link if you can't find it;

http://www.13thfret.com/cgi-bin/futureforum.cgi

Lots of well known (in the custom guitar world) builders visit there, and the others who hang out there tend to be VERY knowledgeable.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 05-13-2004, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up

Had one installed 10 years ago on my EKO 12 string with a badly warped top at the bridge. It corrected the problem and has been great since. Mine came from Stew as well.

Old 05-13-2004, 06:31 PM

Got in put in this afternoon... After putting a straightedge on my top a few more times to make sure if I wanted to do it, I went for it.. Easy installation even though I should have put a couple more thoughts into it. Chipped the area around the counterbore hole using the suggested brad point bit.. Should have masked the area I guess.. Maybe that would have prevented it. Oh well, no problem.. If nothing like that had happened, I'd be looking for snow covering the ground in the morning.. Other than that it was smooth sailing.

Installed per instructions for a warped top, tightening the rod more than normal, the sound was severely altered.. The bulge wasn't even taken all the way out as I didn't try to take it all the way down in the first try. It did take it down a bit as the action was lowered after restringing, even more erratic buzzes, but I suspected that to happen.. After removing the bridge doctor the guitar was back to it's old self, sounding pleasant. With it in, the sound wasn't even inspiring enough to do the suggested playing in time.

The odd thing is that you aren't supposed to torque it down when installing for volume and tone enhancement. Yet for fixing a top, you're supposed to crank it a bit more.. Increments are suggested for top repair so maybe my first increment was too much..

Next plan of action since I'm not totally giving up yet.. Get a fresh set of strings and don't torque it as much. Since the top isn't severely warped I think I will try for the volume and tone aspect of this thing next time. Since I have a new tone vent in the bridge, I might as well experiment.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:50 PM

And by the way.. I have spoken to Don Kendall of JLD twice (just wish I had asked more questions about fine tuning versus installation) and he is more than willing to talk and answer questions.. Very helpful man. I'll be calling him again it looks like..
Old 05-13-2004, 07:26 PM

When mine was first installed, the sound was noticably 'compressed' when the top was flat, but as things adjusted themselves, with a few tweaks, it now sounds good and looks good. Don't expect the wood to re-form itself immediately. Give it some time.

Yoda
Old 05-13-2004, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
When mine was first installed, the sound was noticably 'compressed' when the top was flat, but as things adjusted themselves, with a few tweaks, it now sounds good and looks good. Don't expect the wood to re-form itself immediately. Give it some time.

Yoda

You're absolutely right and I appreciate you reminding me of that. This afternoon prolly wasn't the best time to dig into it since it's the start of a four day weekend for me, but at least I got the drilling out of the way. Yes, I got anxious.. So now it's just about tweaking things..
Old 05-14-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsmitty
So now it's just about tweaking things..
One thing to remember is that you are adding a piece of hardware to your guitar that is exerting force on both the top and heel which in itself should have the effect of reducing volume a bit. You are however trading off to eliminate the warp and improve the action of the guitar. The Bridge DR gave my Eko 12 a more jangly sound which I do like. All in all the trade off was worth it.

Hope it works out

Old 05-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Don't Tread On Me

I have four Breedloves and the all have great sound and projection. I have read some threads on the yahoo Breedlove forum that may still be there. http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Breedloveguitars/

The bridge system should not be set to tight or it will inhibit the sound. Maybe you have to let the top flatten out and then back off on the tension to get the sound back.

"Sometimes a brain can come in quite handy." Jibjab

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion