The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2024, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Big Baby Thoughts

Been playing guitar for 50+ years! (Not all in one sitting!)

I have a Baby Taylor that I just don't play that much, a little too small for me.
I'm thinking I'd like to get a Big Baby Taylor and see how that suits me.

I prefer the slightly smaller than full-size as I have some health issues preventing me from playing a full-size guitar.

Is it worth it to get the one with the built in pickup. Not sure I'd use it much, but the tuner would be handy. Maybe not $100 worth of handy...

What are your thoughts on this model is it still relevant in 2024 or are there better choices?
Old 04-20-2024, 05:29 PM

I had one a few years back that I always enjoyed. It was comfortable to play and certainly a damage resistant guitar. I passed it along to a friend several years ago. If you can find one used for a reasonable price, I think you will be very happy with your purchase.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:38 PM

I had a Big Baby as my first "real" acoustic guitar, used one of my lessons to have my instructor accompany me to the store and pick it out. Ultimately, I found it was too small for my taste. I particularly came to loathe the relatively sharp edge of the fretboard. It was a very bright guitar and I kept silk and bronze strings on it to get a mellower sound. I gave that BBT away to a friend as soon as I determined I was going to keep playing...

So, I can't recommend the Big Baby. If you like the Taylors, I'd look into one of the Academy series guitars. The 12E is a Grand Concert (smaller body) steel string model, the 12N (also a smaller body) has nylon strings which will be very easy to play. Those Academy guitars are a great value. Hopefully, you live somewhere in the world where you can get your hands on one and try before you buy, that's really where it's at.

Good Luck,

Scott
Old 04-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
I had a Big Baby as my first "real" acoustic guitar, used one of my lessons to have my instructor accompany me to the store and pick it out. Ultimately, I found it was too small for my taste. I particularly came to loathe the relatively sharp edge of the fretboard. It was a very bright guitar and I kept silk and bronze strings on it to get a mellower sound. I gave that BBT away to a friend as soon as I determined I was going to keep playing...

So, I can't recommend the Big Baby. If you like the Taylors, I'd look into one of the Academy series guitars. The 12E is a Grand Concert (smaller body) steel string model, the 12N (also a smaller body) has nylon strings which will be very easy to play. Those Academy guitars are a great value. Hopefully, you live somewhere in the world where you can get your hands on one and try before you buy, that's really where it's at.

Good Luck,

Scott
Unfortunately, no Taylor dealers near me. Thanks for the message.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:55 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Taylor’s Big Baby and Academy series guitars are really nice, great playability and tone. I almost bought a BB a while back...a buddy has one he really likes and so do I when we play together. I helped his brother get an Academy 10 which is really nice. He loves it. You can’t go wrong with either. I lean to the Academy 10 or 12.
Old 04-21-2024, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the message! I will explore the Academy series. What is the main difference between the 10 and 20. Did he go with the built-in pickup because that is something I'm wondering about also...
Old 04-21-2024, 11:03 AM

Admitted Taylor fan here (not a Swifty, that is ). That you apparently are a seasoned player, may I suggest absolutely no, skip the BigBaby.

I get the appeal of the smaller bod, but the Big and small "Baby" isn't what you want if I am "reading" you correctly. Try their Grand Concert" body, a GC body has the suffix "12" on their models. So AD12, 112, or 312, etc. Side note: the Academy and 112 are tremendous guits for the dough, esp if you can find one used!). The GCs are fabulous Taylors! Smaller and more "intimate in feel," but have the fuller more satisfying tone you want. Or at least IMO.

Edward
Old 04-21-2024, 11:07 AM

The Academy 10 is a dreadnought shape/size so, maybe too big for you. Although, it does have a bevel that would make it more comfortable to play than one without. An Academy 12 will be close in size to the Big Baby, and they also have that nice bevel.

They come with or without electronics, the E designates a built in tuner which comes along with the $100 bump in price you mentioned. I wouldn't spend the extra cash for the electronics unless you're likely to play plugged in in the future. A TC Unitune clip on is a stellar tuner for $35.

Edit: Edward is absolutely right about the 112 being great. If it's within your budget definitely look into any of the series he mentioned.

Good Luck!

Scott
Old 04-21-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I've never even played a Big Baby, but I almost bought one. Seven or eight years ago, when I got back into guitar, I was looking for something and I got the Big Baby into my head. I talked to my guy at Sweetwater about it one day and he steered me away from the Big Baby and toward the GS Mini. It was a long conversation, but all I remember is him saying that the GS Mini was a much better guitar for not a lot more money. I'm not saying to get a GS Mini, I'm just saying that he was not keen on them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-21-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Admitted Taylor fan here (not a Swifty, that is ). That you apparently are a seasoned player, may I suggest absolutely no, skip the BigBaby.

I get the appeal of the smaller bod, but the Big and small "Baby" isn't what you want if I am "reading" you correctly. Try their Grand Concert" body, a GC body has the suffix "12" on their models. So AD12, 112, or 312, etc. Side note: the Academy and 112 are tremendous guits for the dough, esp if you can find one used!). The GCs are fabulous Taylors! Smaller and more "intimate in feel," but have the fuller more satisfying tone you want. Or at least IMO.

Edward
Yup, I've learned already the"Baby" is just too tiny for me.
I will try to see what's out there for the Grand Concert model "12"
Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I love big babies . It’s a real full scale guitar compared to the baby or gs mini. The tone is great. Whether it’s still “relèvent” is pretty subjective. Some folks might dismiss them since there’s no binding but if you value tone and reliability I’d say go for it.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:47 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayne View Post
Thank you for the message! I will explore the Academy series. What is the main difference between the 10 and 20. Did he go with the built-in pickup because that is something I'm wondering about also...
You’re welcome! I’m only familiar with the spruce topped/Sapele b&s Academy 10 (dread like the BB) and 12 (GC). I think the only difference with the 20 and 22 may be the all walnut. Any of the Academy series will be good. My friend didn’t care if it had a pickup or not. If it doesn’t really matter to you, it’ll depend on the deal you get. Depending on your budget, I agree that the Grand Concert size (112, 212, etc.) would be a nice step-up). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by Acousticado; 04-21-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:09 PM
Anticipation Junkie

In case you’re interested, there’s a 112ce for sale in the AGF Classifieds.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I've never even played a Big Baby, but I almost bought one. Seven or eight years ago, when I got back into guitar, I was looking for something and I got the Big Baby into my head. I talked to my guy at Sweetwater about it one day and he steered me away from the Big Baby and toward the GS Mini. It was a long conversation, but all I remember is him saying that the GS Mini was a much better guitar for not a lot more money. I'm not saying to get a GS Mini, I'm just saying that he was not keen on them.
Duly noted. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Fwiw, and jmo, the few GS minis I’ve played sounds boxy to me. I think a BB, Academy or 112 are better, in that order.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion