The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-08-2024, 08:41 AM

Default Larrivee SD-40 vs L-03

Wish I had the opportunity to try both! Since I don’t, I was hoping perhaps someone here has?

I have always loved the projection and tone of a dreadnought, but certainly appreciate the comfort of a 12 fret/slope shoulder/alternative.

I understand these two models have distinctively different bracing patterns.

Does anyone have a strong preference of one over the other?

I understand that tone is incredibly subjective, but I would love to hear the opinions of those that may have spent some time on these two instruments.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:17 AM

I had an L-05 which has the same woods as the L-03 but with a gloss finish. It was a wonderful guitar and I wish I hadn't sold it. I haven't played the SD-40 but I saw this the other day which is 12 fret dreadnought.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-natural-satin
Old 01-08-2024, 02:32 PM

I tried a few Larrivee acoustics before buying one. I liked the SD40 a lot may have one soon. But ended up with the D44r Legacy. I was looking for a full sized dread with rosewood back and sides that wasn’t a Martin since I have a HD28. Still want the SD40 I never had a 12 fret. The dealer gave me $500 off the Legacy . No other dealer I shopped at would move off there price.

Last edited by Cibby; 01-08-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishing View Post
Wish I had the opportunity to try both! Since I don’t, I was hoping perhaps someone here has?

I have always loved the projection and tone of a dreadnought, but certainly appreciate the comfort of a 12 fret/slope shoulder/alternative.

I understand these two models have distinctively different bracing patterns.

Does anyone have a strong preference of one over the other?

I understand that tone is incredibly subjective, but I would love to hear the opinions of those that may have spent some time on these two instruments.
I am blessed to have both - an SD40 and an LV03, both Mahogany. The SD40 has just a bit more bottom end and also more volume in general. Both sound very sweet and tonefull - not sure what other words to use.

They are both usually strung with Elixir PB 12's.

The SD40 being a 12 fret is not for folks who like to solo in the upper fret areas, the LV having the cutaway has more access to that part of the fretboard.

I play mostly with my fingers and natural nails but if I were more of a strummer or bluegrass player the SD40 with as set of 13's would be hard to beat. The LV can hold it's own for most styles of play, hence the "Swiss Army knife" comparison that is often used.

I also have an early O-O1 model and an OMV40, also both mahogany and each with it's own range of tone. I just recently acquired a C03TE model, my 1st rosewood guitar. It is the most lush and articulate guitar I've ever owned and i've moved through quite a few in my time on the planet.

As you can tell I am an abashed Larrivee fan and feel fortunate and blessed to own the ones I have.
2020 Larrivee SD-40
2020 Larrivee LV-03
2015 Eastman AR372 Natural
2011 Fender Thinline Telecaster
(=O=}====:::
Old 01-08-2024, 05:04 PM

I was under the impression that L body guitars are all 14 fret.

If you prefer a dreadnought sound, then get the SD40.

I actively avoid dreadnoughts, and the L body is fantastic - for me.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 01-08-2024 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianl55 View Post
I am blessed to have both - an SD40 and an LV03, both Mahogany. The SD40 has just a bit more bottom end and also more volume in general. Both sound very sweet and tonefull - not sure what other words to use.

They are both usually strung with Elixir PB 12's.

The SD40 being a 12 fret is not for folks who like to solo in the upper fret areas, the LV having the cutaway has more access to that part of the fretboard.

I play mostly with my fingers and natural nails but if I were more of a strummer or bluegrass player the SD40 with as set of 13's would be hard to beat. The LV can hold it's own for most styles of play, hence the "Swiss Army knife" comparison that is often used.

I also have an early O-O1 model and an OMV40, also both mahogany and each with it's own range of tone. I just recently acquired a C03TE model, my 1st rosewood guitar. It is the most lush and articulate guitar I've ever owned and i've moved through quite a few in my time on the planet.

As you can tell I am an abashed Larrivee fan and feel fortunate and blessed to own the ones I have.
Hello from one fan to another!

I've yet to try a non-40 series Larrivee rosewood in a body size larger than a parlour.

EIR has yet to sway me - do you prefer it to your mahoganies?

I do have Bhilwara rosewood but would like to try the above. I have a problem with my right ear, though - mild tinnitus and it doesn't like big vibrant guitars else my head starts feeling wonky thanks to my (hearing) damaged right ear. Given rosewood has deeper bass than mahogany AND it's a bigger body, I suspect it would agitate my hearing. But it sounds good on the YouTube videos I've checked.

I've heard great things about the SD series.

I have an L-05 and it's probably the best all round guitar I have. Incredibly lush, just a dream to either strum or fingerpick. Unfortunately, again, it's so powerful it agitates my ear. I'm trying to bear with it because it's my hearing and not the guitar that's the issue.. and I'm loathe to let go as it's an amazing guitar. The L-05 is one of the all time classics imo.

Go for the SD if you're more of a strummer. I'd personally not go for 40 series but that's personal preference.

Not what the OP is asking about but the last two special edition OMs I got were deeper body and man does that work well.
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05
PRS Cu24 + 57/08
Suhr Pro S4
Old 01-09-2024, 04:22 PM

Thank you all.
Great information!
Amazing resource.
Fantastic community!
Old 01-09-2024, 04:31 PM

I have an L-01 (basically the 3 without binding) and an SD-40R.

They are so different that the only way I could pick one would be based on the music I would be playing. The dread is boomier, bassier, and projects better. The L cuts a little better in a mix, but also has a more delicate sound. It comes off as less full and complex than the dread, but somehow livelier.

I don't plan on letting either go any time soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion