The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 04:44 AM

Default New Eastman E20 OO 12fret - What to expect?

Hello,
Been a while. Had an itch to scratch on 12fret as never played one before.. The Eastman was my shot at a poor mans Martin 012-28 Modern Deluxe....until they make a Bourgeois Touchstone equivalent :-)

The Eastman is all solid rosewood back and sides, Adirondack top and Scale Length:24.9"

Initial impressions are very good...its somewhat heavier than my Furch Vintage Dread which is a surprise but doesn't really bother me..chunky neck doesn't seem to bother me

Other Eastman owners of this guitar what can I expect over the coming weeks, months, years?

Does it change much? any preference on strings etc?

Any views appreciated
Old 01-07-2024, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I am primarily a Collings player.
I'm also a 12 fret freak.
I have three Collings dreads, a 000 and always had a wish for a 12 fret Collings 00, but , well, hens teeth.

In 2019 a music shop in London was holding a closing down sale.
I fancied a really small guitar. They had an Eastman E20-00 and an E20-P I chose the E20-P, half expecting to return it after a while, after all - Collings were my thing.

It was great out of the box (nice box!)

Issues ? - the pick guard was "meh", the pins were ebony, and the top was really pale. Otherwise ? Frankly, outstanding.

Here's a comparison I made with my Collings 0002h back in December 2019, about two months after I got it.

Here in January 2024, it is by my side, and it is still a remarkable instrument.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andy's Eastmans.jpg (50.4 KB, 169 views)
Old 01-07-2024, 11:07 AM

Smile

Thanks Silly tach I’ve seen a few of your videos, thanks for doing them btw

It seems very good value …I’m looking at a Furch as I have the Dread vintage 3 also …the necks are so very different but don’t mind either

Did you replace the pins if so with what and also the tuners? I’m in no rush as this is new new and pale as a ghost!
Old 01-07-2024, 12:55 PM

We have one of the Parlors (E20P) and it is a fun little guitar.
Yes! Eastmans always seem heavier than their counterparts.
We have had it for a few years now and It still sounds awesome.

Like most rosewoods it has that 'evil dark' tone to it and is conducive to a lot of blues/single note playing..and even classical. A little throaty on strumming. Really LOUD for it's small size. Nice having a guitar with that HUGE Nut for some variation

Really weird..normally I think of lighter guitars resonating better? BUT Eastmans are all a bit on the heavy side and still sound amazing...so there ya go!
Old 01-08-2024, 10:28 AM

Thumbs up

Expect it to be on the heavy side. Expect to be amazed at the tone!
Old 01-08-2024, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had mine about a year, still love it. Hard to say if it changed much, doubt it but maybe. As far as strings go, so far I’ve tried EJ 16 (sound great), Martin Silk & Steel (also sound great but quieter) and DAddario XS PB’s which are still on it and also sound great and last forever. When it’s time to replace them I’ll probably put another set of XS’s on as it’s more of a chore being a slot head. Definitely a keeper

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion