The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2015, 04:39 PM

Default Advice on a Dreadnaught under $800

Hello all.

First post but I have been reading intently for several weeks. I am getting back into guitar playing and am looking for another guitar. I haven't been playing much in about two years except for a little picking here and there. I've mostly concentrated on clawhammer banjo but I want to get back into playing my guitars because my family hates banjo (or hearing it)!

I am not a great player but not totally a beginner either and I do appreciate playability and tone in a guitar. I plan on taking lessons again. I've had a Guild GAD JF30 for about 4 or 5 years. I like the action and feel on this guitar a lot but it is not the most comfortable guitar to play. It has a lot of punch! I've gone and played quite a bit over the weeks at GC and playing most of the guitars in my my price range and a lot of dead wood in that range. Some have seemed okay. I first was leaning toward a Taylor GS Mini to play around the house and sitting on the couch but I find the fretboard a little cramped with the shorter scale. Maybe it is because I used to playing the Guild Jumbo and I'd get used to it.

I've actually taken to the tone and feel of the Dreadnought. Not a small guitar but it is a lot more comfortable than the Jumbo I've been playing.

Ones I've looked at is:

- Seagull S6 (neck seems a little beefy on some of these)
- Yamaha FG730 (some seemed real stiff others okay)
- Epiphone MB (i played a DR-500MCE - not sure I need all the electronics on this)
- Taylor GS Mini (but I think I want a Dreadnought now)

Locally I have seen a Guild GAD 50 for sale but I have yet to play it but I know what to expect of the older GAD line. There is also a Blueridge BR-160 for sale locally too but I have no played that either.

Off all the ones I have in my hand so far I think the Epiphone Masterbuilt I played today had the best feeling neck and tone of all I've played so far in my range. The only thing is I am not sure I want the electronics. Maybe I will later?

Anyway I am open to suggestions but I almost put the Epi Masterbuilt on hold because it felt and sounded so good. The neck felt great. Should I look at another Epi Masterbuilt model? Are their necks pretty much all the same feel? It says it has a shallow D. I had an older Epi Sheraton II that had a shallow D profile and I really regret ever selling that guitar.

Thanks all

Rich
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM

Eastman E6D = it will blow everything on your list away, hands down. All solid woods w/bone nut and saddle. Hardshell case included.

Eastman AC320
- not quite as bold as the E6 but loud with excellent tone.

I have played and/or owned everything on your list. None of them come close to these Eastmans.

My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 PM

Patience will be your reward if you can find a Martin D15 used for <800.00
Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 PM

Removed for inappropriate content.

Last edited by Wardo; 09-12-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soao View Post
Patience will be your reward if you can find a Martin D15 used for <800.00
I actually played one of these today. It has a mahogany top? I'm not sure I am crazy about the that top on that one.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 PM

There are some nice Larrivees for Sale right here, right now at that price or below!
Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 PM

Try the Blueridge if you can. They are pretty good sounding & playable guitars in my opinion
Old 09-10-2015, 05:39 PM

Some fine choices.
Sweetwater does have a couple of Guild guitars that keep coming up, like this, that are all solid wood.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D150CENat/
It is possible by the time you look at it the link will redirect you somewhere else as these sell within minutes of being put on the site. When they are gone, they are gone, as these are discontinued due to the transition of Guild from Fender to Cordoba.

I have two different Seagulls. The S6s are not all solid wood guitars, but they do have solid tops and are well made instruments. The nut width on the can vary - the Original S6 has a 1.8" nut while the S6 Entourage (for example) is 1.72" (slim).

I have a GS Mini and I play it more than any - but it does not have the volume a dread would have.

(Buy that Guild or you WILL regret it!! Well probably anyway! )
Old 09-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Used Martin MMV show up on ebay for under $800 quite often.Also Martin D-16RGT if you are patience.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

+1 to what TitanNV said. I just received my Guild GAD D-140ce today and it's really nice for $500, but I think Sweetwater is out of them.

I'm trading for an Epiphone DR-500MCE tomorrow. I haven't played it, but the reviews are good. Might check those out.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:47 PM

Alvarez's "Artist Series" models are also very good bargains in the sub-$800 range. I recommend taking a look at the AD70 (Spruce top/Rosewood B&S) or the AD90 (Spruce top/Koa B&S). Don't be put off by lack of solid back and sides -- Alvarez does laminated well. Either can be had with factory electronics if you choose, and well under your budget.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 09-10-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanNV View Post
Some fine choices.
Sweetwater does have a couple of Guild guitars that keep coming up, like this, that are all solid wood.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/D150CENat/
It is possible by the time you look at it the link will redirect you somewhere else as these sell within minutes of being put on the site. When they are gone, they are gone, as these are discontinued due to the transition of Guild from Fender to Cordoba.

I have two different Seagulls. The S6s are not all solid wood guitars, but they do have solid tops and are well made instruments. The nut width on the can vary - the Original S6 has a 1.8" nut while the S6 Entourage (for example) is 1.72" (slim).

I have a GS Mini and I play it more than any - but it does not have the volume a dread would have.

(Buy that Guild or you WILL regret it!! Well probably anyway! )
The Guild GAD for sale is even earlier than the one you linked. It was when they had the Crown or what ever it was on the headstock and the tweed case.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Eastman E6D = it will blow everything on your list away, hands down. All solid woods w/bone nut and saddle. Hardshell case included.
+1 to the E6D. As much as I love my Epiphone DR-500M, my Eastman E6D is on a whole different level.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:56 PM

Check out the Recording King RD10, all solid wood -

http://www.bucketlistguitar.blogspot...ing-rd-10.html
Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 PM

I could swear I saw a Taylor DN3 on here for sale in that price range.

I love mine. In fact it is my favorite guitar, even though it is from California!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion