The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo View Post
At the outset I must disclose my bias in that I am a die-hard Kottke fan since the early 70s. I've seen him about a dozen and a half times since I first caught up with him in the early 80s, and the majority of those shows have been in the past 15 years or so. Most recently saw him in 2010 and 2009.

A few observations: other than a couple of shows where he shared the billing with other acts, I've never seen him play less than 1 1/2 hours. Over the years, I've noticed there he goes through periods where he will stand for the entire show (the majority of shows I've seen), and he goes through phases where he will sit for the entire show. I note the standing/sitting because the shows where he was standing have generally been more energetic. I suspect that he has some back or knee issues that dictate whether he stands or sits. It's also clear that Leo does not work off a "set list" of any sort (I've also heard him state this in interviews). For those who claim he does the same old tired songs, I suggest otherwise. None of the shows I've seen have been at all like any other. The only song I've heard him play nearly every concert is "Rings," which, despite some poster's disdain for the song, is one of his biggest crowd pleasers, AND Leo has stated often that it's simply one of HIS favorites. Hey, it's a good song.

I'm disappointed that some posters here will readily accept other posters' assessment of Leo's supposedly declining abilities without actually having seen Leo in recent years. For those expecting the pyrotechnics of his youth, and then being disappointed when the concert doesn't live up to those expectations: I suggest that the underlying reason is not that Leo has "lost it" in his advancing years, but that he has often revisited older tunes with simply a more mature approach. He has done this throughout his career on his records, reworking old Kottke classics to reflect a different attitude. You see it even more in concert how certain tunes evolve over the years. Yeah, he's gotten mellower, but I've seen no diminishment in his abilities.

The only show I've ever seen where he wasn't totally "on" was the most recent in 2010. I attribute that, however, not to any decline, but to the fact that it was an outdoor concert on a stinkin' hot evening with humidity beyond imagination. It was clear that his fingers were sticking to the strings and inhibiting much of his fretwork. He even commented and made jokes about it. I wouldn't have wanted to be playing a guitar under those conditions, let alone in front of a large audience. It was still a great show, and he was as funny as ever. The year before in the same venue, it was a beautiful night, and he was amazing.

Regarding his sense of humor: it's certainly oddball humor, and at every concert I've seen, a good proportion of the audience simply doesn't "get it." To each, his own, I suppose. As for me, I think he's one of the funniest humans on the planet, and have to control myself when laughing during his shows. I'm not suggesting there's something wrong with those who don't appreciate that style of humor, just that it IS his style. The rambling, wandering stories have always been that way, so when someone says Leo rambled, and attribute it to some aging decline, well, it just doesn't hold up. That's who he's always been.

The only thing I can say that has shown any diminishment in Leo's arsenal of talent is his voice. The clear, resonant baritone of his youth is more subdued now, but nevertheless enjoyable and engaging. His mature playing style and older voice actually encourage a more intimate concert atmosphere than the concerts of years ago.

At 54, I certainly don't belt out the tunes the way I used to, and don't have quite as full a range as yesteryear, but I'd like to think I'm a better singer and player as I've approached my music in a more mature way, if somewhat mellower. I can't fault Leo for doing the same. It's fun to listen to the old Leo stuff from 6 & 12 String Guitar and the like, but overall I actually prefer his more recent stuff.

-- end of rant --
Exactly my feelings, you just stated it so much better. Thank you.
Christian
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkenweg42 View Post
Exactly my feelings, you just stated it so much better. Thank you.
Good on both of you guys!

Birkenveg42, I seem to recall from an exchange of PMs that we were both at that last one at the Tower Theater. I noted a great change in his artistry; emotional connection and communication. Notes with more purpose rather than a scattershot barrage. More maturity showing through those awsome technical chops. Were you at the last one before that, Birk, I think in Visalia? I was worried about his health then, he looked so pale and sickly. There was nothing wrong with the music, though. He looked more like his robust self at the Tower. The Road does not allow for sick leave.

' Strang

1945 Gibson banner headstock J-45
2002 Taylor 614 LTD
2003 Martin HD28V
1962 Goya TS-5
1966 Epiphone FT112 Bard
1966 Gibson B45-12
1967 Gibson B25 12
1969 Gibson B25 12
1976 Guild F-112
2001 Guild F-212XL
1978 Guild G-312
1990 Guild JF-65 12
1990 Guild F-512
2003 Taylor 600 SPECce 12 string
2004 Taylor 855ce
2004 Taylor 855ce all koa upgrade
Old 07-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Default Leo

Sorry cant feel anything other than a sense of loss.

Last edited by Portland Bill; 07-28-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninmass View Post
SSS,
I am assuming you went to the Newburyport, MA concert, was this at the high school auditorium? Friday was the second hottest day in Massachusetts history 103 degrees and humid, with no breeze, not even at the coast. I don't know if it was air conditioned at the school, but, even if it was, maybe the outside heat just wore him out that day.
Yeah that was the show. It was hot that day but not too bad around showtime. The auditorium was definately not air conditioned. Let me state it wasnt really his playing that was off. Im sure even his worst playing is better than most. I was more surprised by the amount of talking in between songs. It was more talking than playing in retrospect. The last time I saw him it wasnt like that thus my curiosity about whether or not this is the new norm. But yes it was a scorcher that day and could definately have influenced the show.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStingString View Post
Yeah that was the show. It was hot that day but not too bad around showtime. The auditorium was definately not air conditioned. Let me state it wasnt really his playing that was off. Im sure even his worst playing is better than most. I was more surprised by the amount of talking in between songs. It was more talking than playing in retrospect. The last time I saw him it wasnt like that thus my curiosity about whether or not this is the new norm. But yes it was a scorcher that day and could definately have influenced the show.
OK, here's the thing: in extreme heat and humidity, it's often difficult to keep your guitar in tune for any length of time. If Leo spent a lot of time tuning up between songs because of this, it's no wonder that he also spent a lot of time telling stories and rambling on. Nothing's more boring than watching someone just tune his guitar endlessly between songs.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 PM

It would be virtually impossible for me to fault Leo Kottke…for anything. I’ve always felt that he was one of the most imaginative and technically gifted guitarist I’d ever heard and the debt that we owe him, for what he given us, is enormous. His music has always taken me on musical journeys I simply could never have imagined. I’m sorry to say that I first began listening to his music in 1978…I should have been with him from the start, but it was simply a lack of exposure. There are few instances in your life when you remember exactly when the earth and the sky changed for you. For me, one of those times was an evening in 1978 when I was watching the movie “The Days of Heaven.” All of a sudden there was this jangling, odd, driving and strangely beautiful music (“The Train and Gate” – from “Burnt Lips”). My first thought; “What band is that?” Interestingly, this is the same reaction Keith Richards had when he first heard Leo. I’ve been a fan ever since and bought everything he’s ever released and seen him about a dozen times over the years.

His humor is an extension of his music; it takes you into odd places, places that you would have never imagined.

I’d always thought of him as the very best of what this country represents and has to offer. If we could point to something and say that it is a uniquely American point of view, musically speaking, it would be him and his music.

I last saw him perform about a year and a half ago in Santa Barbara. Half of Los Angeles was there including the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet (as fans). He held us all in the palm of his hand...a great show musically and for his stories and humor.

He’s a national treasure.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 string View Post
Good on both of you guys!

Birkenveg42, I seem to recall from an exchange of PMs that we were both at that last one at the Tower Theater. I noted a great change in his artistry; emotional connection and communication. Notes with more purpose rather than a scattershot barrage. More maturity showing through those awsome technical chops. Were you at the last one before that, Birk, I think in Visalia? I was worried about his health then, he looked so pale and sickly. There was nothing wrong with the music, though. He looked more like his robust self at the Tower. The Road does not allow for sick leave.

' Strang
Yes, I thought the last one in the Tower was excellent. He had a great raport with the audience and his playing was in the zone. He played a couple of pieces I had not heard before and at least one that he hadn't recorded yet (Ants). I did not see any decline of his skills at all.
We were sitting in the from row just in front of him. Great view but the sound was terrible so far up front.
I also was at the concert at the Visalia Fox. I don't remember thinking that he looked frail but I remember that he played a lot of his classics and told the story about his canoe trip and the Girl Scouts on Crow River. He did play a lot of music from the Armadillo album. That was an exceptional show.
Christian
Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom46 View Post
Wow, how funny is that- I used those exact same words to describe Leo recently in a review I did of one of his concerts here in Miami Beach. He's the Garrison Keillor of acoustic music IMO. Live long & prosper Mr. Kottke!

For the record- I. too. have been listening to him since that late '70's

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad

Last edited by sharkydude50; 07-29-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Agreed!!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I’d always thought of him as the very best of what this country represents and has to offer. If we could point to something and say that it is a uniquely American point of view, musically speaking, it would be him and his music.
Very well said!

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 07-30-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Very well said!
I just have to add the same thoughts. Craigo summed it all up perfectly!
I have been a Leo fan since 1969(!) - Yes, own original issues of "12 String Blues" purchased back then. First date with my wife was to a Kottke concert in 1970. Saw the show where he had as his opening act the famous "Wally Pickle" - who jumped on a pogo stick while playing three trumpets. That is what typifies Leo....
Saw him this past January in Rochester, MN. Still an excellent, intimate show. He's deepened his music, and may have moved on from the "fire and flash" - but haven't all of us who have gotten a little more mature?
For those who expect everything to stay as it was, I'm afraid that just doesn't happen, for anything, anywhere. He is still the premeir solo guitarist performing (dare I say it?) in the world today.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM

I first saw Leo in 1971. He was opening for a BIG NAME act who's name I've completely forgotten. Leo's playing was spellbinding that night and I couldn't wait to get home, grab my 12 string and flail away.

Instead, I just stared at my fingers, then at the fretboard, then at my fingers, then at the fretboard, etc., etc.....

He remains my #1 choice in guitarists after all these years.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghead View Post
He remains my #1 choice in guitarists after all these years.

Mine too, only I don't go back as far as you, Peg. In my real early teens, when Home and Away aired on PBS. I remember my mom recorded some of it, but it didn't really have an effect on me until years later. I did decided to by a cassette tape however, and the latest was, My Fathers Face. Theme from the ' Rick and Bob report, did something to me. I loved that tune, but it wasn't until 8 or 9 years later, when I got into Fingerstyle did I realize it was only one guitar. Been hooked ever since. I've seen him a lot of times, and lucky enough to meet him twice. And thanks to the TabPigs, I've learned lots of tunes. Leo is the reason Fingerstyle guitar is where it's at today. If he wasn't "your" reason for playing, he was the reason the player you like plays.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 07-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Default Ah, Leo!

Aloha,

Leo Kottke's music changed my life & the way I hear music. I was very spaced out one night in Greenwich Village in '69 & a friend put headphones on my head, playing Leo's "Watermelon." And I felt like I was home.

Ironically, about three years later, I opened for Leo at my college (I was kinda the campus acoustic guy then). On my first song, I broke a G-string & kinda froze on stage. Leo handed me his Bozo 12-string (luckily in the same open tuning) to finish the song (we used mic's then) & strung up a new G-string on my Harmony Sovereign for me. Great guy!

I've seen Leo probably 55-60 time over the years. He always feels like a comfortable pair of old slippers. Good for the soul, his unique spirit. Leo comes out to Hawaii every few years. I usually go, but not always now. He plays an expensive venue.

But yes, Leo has really slowed down in terms of energy level - as have all of us 60-somethings (Leo is 66). Anyone who saw Leo in his early 20's would swear he had sparks coming off his hands. That was an unparalelled, monster right hand double-thumbing technique. MONSTER! He was 'blow-you-away' unbelievable. It was the sheer force of the energy behind his choir boy, aw-shucks looks that would get ya.

And that relentless technique finally gave Leo such a nasty case of carpal tunnel that he had to quit for a couple years, re-technique, & come back with the very different style he uses today.

Today, I go to see Leo in concert more for what he's meant to my life than hot licks or fresh material or an anthology of his classic pieces. I can see why younger players might feel cheated paying good money (usually $35+) for the low energy noodling & occasional classic that Leo puts out these days. It's all about energy output for giggers, friends. Still, Leo remains a very funny, dry wit if not quite the monster he was. Flashes comes through at all his concerts though.

Leo is truly an acoustic master, but on the wane. We should all be grateful to Leo.

What I can't figure out is why anyone would ever go to hear one of the great old rock groups. For most of them, cigarettes just killed their voices, not drugs. Can't sing that loudly or under control after 50 in most genre's anyway - Bono's certainly hit that wall - and in their 60's???? Fuggedaboutdit.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 07-30-2011 at 02:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion