The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM

Default Nut width is really not that useful of a spec...

I think string spacing is much more valuable to know. I have picked up many guitars with 1 3/4 nut widths that have different string spacing. There are some 1 3/4 nut width with the same string spacing as 1 11/16 and therefore essentially feel the same to play.

It seems that is much more important to know than nut width.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I think you're nuts

Old 11-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Guest 1928

Not to be a contrarian, but I think string spacing at the nut as a spec is largely irrelevant. I agree that it absolutely changes the feel, but I need to know how much real estate is available. If I like a guitar, but not the spacing at the nut, I can recut it or make a new nut to customize string spacing. The bridge spacing matters much more since changing that is substantially more invasive.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I think string spacing is much more valuable to know. I have picked up many guitars with 1 3/4 nut widths that have different string spacing. There are some 1 3/4 nut width with the same string spacing as 1 11/16 and therefore essentially feel the same to play.

String spacing is adjustable. Nut width is not.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:

This makes a ton of sense to me and is a great post.

But is it now a right hand/left hand issue relating to accuracy and fretting.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM

Default Nut width

For me it's a combination of nut width, string spacing and neck profile. There are too many variable to make a blanket statement about a guitar based on just one of those criteria.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Humanist

If you're going to take an approach other than "if it feels good, play it", and try to understand *why* it feels good you need the following...and understanding what works well for any given individual, measurement-wise, can be quite valuable, IMO:

1) Overall nut width

2) E-to-E string spacing at the nut

3) Overall width of fingerboard at 12th fret

4) E-to-E spacing at the bridge

5) Scale length

6) Fingerboard radius

7) Some idea about back of neck profile (shape), thickness of neck, etc.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-20-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
For me it's a combination of nut width, string spacing and neck profile. There are too many variable to make a blanket statement about a guitar based on just one of those criteria.
Well said. I was exaggerating to make a point that nut width by itself, is not that valuable without considerating string spacing as well as the others you mentioned.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Nut width can be adjusted by replacing the nut with one that has wider string spacing. On some (few) guitars with a 1 and 11/16 inch nut, there is room aboard to widen the distance between strings. I had this done on one of my guitars and it made a big difference. The guitar had a 1 and 7/8 inch width but the nut was closer to 1 and 11/16. I put on a nut with spacing for 1 and 3/4 and it works really well. Much easier to play fingerstyle and classical.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Nut width can be adjusted by replacing the nut with one that has wider string spacing. On some (few) guitars with a 1 and 11/16 inch nut, there is room aboard to widen the distance between strings. I had this done on one of my guitars and it made a big difference. The guitar had a 1 and 7/8 inch width but the nut was closer to 1 and 11/16. I put on a nut with spacing for 1 and 3/4 and it works really well. Much easier to play fingerstyle and classical.
You kind of prove my point. If you had thought about what string spacing you wanted from the beginning you wouldn't have had to widen the string string spacing.

Also, I have found that a new nut only gets you so far. You risk slippage from the E strings depending on how you play.

Better to know your preference for string spacing before you buy a guitar rather than do 'hacks" after the fact.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Larry has it correct.
It's the combination of several factors that determine how a guitar frets or plays.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:40 AM

I would think that if you chose a guitar that had the exact string spacing you wanted than the nut width would probably be acceptable to you.

I might be wrong but what I do know that when I first got into guitars, I purchased several 1 3/4 nut width ones that were as cramped to play as 1 11/16 guitars.

Since then I look for the string spacing first and so far that seems to work for me as the nut widths seem not to matter.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:44 AM

Larry P has it, done. Close the thread.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM

Agreed, I care much more about string spacing as well. I absolutely hate it when the strings are too close to the edges of the fingerboard. It makes certain chord shapes in dropped tunings almost impossible without pushing the string over the edge.

My Epiphone and Martin has the same nut width, but I far prefer the string spacing on my Epiphone as I can drop the high E string to an A, do unconventional chord shapes and not have any problems.

I'm most likely getting a new nut done next year for my D-28 just because of this.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:56 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:

To each his own. I've gotten to the point that I sold all my 1 11/16 and 1 7/8 guitars strictly for 1 3/4, and each of my 1 3/4 guitars mostly have different sting spacing. But, I guess that's why we don't all buy the same guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion