The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-01-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Alternating different verses, no Chorus; what do you call it?

What do you call it when a song has no chorus, but it has two different alternating verses? Like in Feeling Good Again by Robert Earl Keen;

It' like a verse and chorus, but the chorus keeps changing.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:52 PM

I call it good songwriting!

Here's one of mine that does that:.

And here's one by Jason Eady:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_OPjuUi1Ec

Last edited by SongwriterFan; 05-01-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:33 PM

I'd just call it A-B.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:06 PM

I don't hear ABABAB. I hear a ballad with matching verses — to be exact, short intro/verses/solo/verse/long outro.

The verses are all eight lines (four couplets/sixteen bars) with two instrumental bars between each verse. The solo and long outro might be throwing you off.

But to answer your question, I don't know of another name for an ABABAB arrangement.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 05-01-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
What do you call it when a song has no chorus, but it has two different alternating verses?
Hi lowrider

I call it a good song to play between others with a more typical form…keeps the music from being boring (both to me as player and to the listeners).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-02-2024, 11:40 AM

I believe it’s called a refrain when REK ends each verse with the line “feels so good, feelin’ good again.”

Another slightly different but similar style from REK is “I Wonder Where My Baby is Tonight?”

I like and have written songs with no chorus … but there stills needs to be something for the listener to grab on to.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I sing it all the time and I never thought of it as just three verses with solos in between. I've always thought of it as Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, except that the chorus keeps changing.

The chords change and the rhythm changes between the A verses and the B verses. It's a wonderful song and a lot of fun to sing.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

my band picked up a song that has an intro then starts with a chorus, then the first verse. Every time we talk about it, I get screwed up....

We will be rehearsing and say "let's run through from the second verse..." and Ill start on the chorus.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-03-2024, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I sing it all the time and I never thought of it as just three verses with solos in between. I've always thought of it as Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, except that the chorus keeps changing.

The chords change and the rhythm changes between the A verses and the B verses. It's a wonderful song and a lot of fun to sing.
It's a great song I do not know if there is a specific name for the structure. I would call it a Verse and refrain type song. Which Keen does very well (another great verse and refrain type by him is "The Road Goes On Forever" )

The song has 3 Verses, with the repeating single lyrical refrain as the last line of the verses. Then the last 2 sections of the third verse is repeated again at the end and then the outro is the same as the intro.
The instrumentals between the verses are either 1 or 2 passes of the intro (see chart below)

The on that video the song is in G major --Verses have 3 different chord progression sections
Here it is

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-03-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:52 AM

How nerdy do you want to get here? Did I hear "very?" COOL!

It's called a strophic form. Very common in folk music. This one has an ABC inner structure, or really an AABC inner structure, with the A sections being the first two lines of the verse, then the "setup," is the B and then the C is the "tag line," which stays the same in each verse.

I think of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" as a prime example (in that one the A inner form has two different endings, also common)

Great tune.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-03-2024, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Thank you everyone. Mr Beaumont, you nailed it!

It really is great song, and a fun song to do with a group.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:04 PM

Quote:

There are songs whose chorus words change with every verse ("My Oklahoma Home" comes to mind). When you get to the chorus part, it just sounds like it's going to be a chorus, even though the words are different. It's a natural break where another singer would join in.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write