The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2024, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Default The Martin SC-10E Sapele is awesome

Somewhat on a whim, I scooped up a Martin SC-10E Sapele. When the SC-13E came out a few years ago, I got one right away to see this new idea from Martin in the flesh. It was cool, but didn’t sound that great to me and I didn’t end up keeping it, though I kept sorta thinking about where it fits in the landscape of acoustic guitars...at least in my specific world.

Last year, when they released the stripped down sapele-topped 10 model, I thought I might wanna give it another try. I could start to see where it fits into my world - I don’t really like Taylors, but have always had one around as an idiot-proof plug-and-play guitar, especially for church. It fits that bill perfectly. I don’t love ES-2 nor the modern happy tone of Taylor’s, even though it’s well suited for church and no one makes more consistent instruments.

I have to say, I am super duper impressed with everything about this guitar. I like the fact that it's not precious and has some unique, but highly durable materials to complement the solid sapele top - that is a win functionally as I live in the frozen tundra and even the little bits of time in the car or walking into gigs or church it is good peace of mind, so long as it doesn't totally hamper the tone.

Regarding the tone - it is incredibly sweet. The same sweetness I tend to love about Martin guitars and all hog types. It's not real loud, so it will be lost if you tried to play it in a bluegrass jam, but playing alone, solo gigs or practice, it sounds amazing.

Plugged in is where it really blew me away. I have had so many guitars with factory-installed pickups and some really good, some trash...most trash, really. This one, whatever it is about it or the combo of the guitar and the pickup system, sounds unbelievable. I am so impressed. No harsh highs, no noisiness, no plinky thin tone - it's round, warm and super balanced. I haven't had to EQ it at all in my testing to get good tone, just using the interior dial is all.

I LOVE the gig bag - super light and super sturdy and safe.

I think it's the perfect gigging instrument for my desires and likings. I've also had dozens of Martins and this one was set up nicer than any I've ever had right from the factory (Ive had Little Martins - custom shop stuff). It's obviously designed to be a live performance instrument and it nails it in my mind.

The only thing I will be changing on it is the tuners...they aren't very sturdy. The internal tuner isn't super accurate, but close enough in a pinch, though I always have good headstock or pedal tuners that I trust more and would use in a gig anyway, certainly when playing with others to ensure accuracy.

Don't sleep on these things, they are awesome and great values.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Is it all solid sapele?

I love the gig bag that came with my 16 Special. I use it no matter which guitar I'm taking out.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Is it all solid sapele?

I love the gig bag that came with my 16 Special. I use it no matter which guitar I'm taking out.
The formal Martin specs says doesn't call out the top, back and sides as solid or laminate - just Sapele in all 3 categories, but given the model designation/series, I'm understanding it to be laminate back and sides and a solid top.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:49 AM

No lie, I just opened the forum on my phone and was about to post about the SC series because I started reading about them the other day and they sound right up my alley. I'm going to go play a couple tomorrow and I was planning on getting the exact same model you got. I was going to ask if there was any reason to look at the SC-13s instead. The only real difference I can find is the finish that's on them.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
No lie, I just opened the forum on my phone and was about to post about the SC series because I started reading about them the other day and they sound right up my alley. I'm going to go play a couple tomorrow and I was planning on getting the exact same model you got. I was going to ask if there was any reason to look at the SC-13s instead. The only real difference I can find is the finish that's on them.
Finish, veneer type and the 13s have black tuners i think...figure all embellishments that add to the price by probably not the tone in any meaningful way. The big question would be sapele top vs spruce in a 10 and i really can't say enough about the pleasant tone of this thing. Im really happy.

Also, I have to say - this is not the same satin finish a my 15 series or 16 series martins, it's smoother and more glossy. The overall fit, finish and build quality of this guitar is completely flawless...i've looked for anything that isn't perfect on it and i can't find it. It's flawless.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:51 PM

Yeah, that other stuff doesn't matter enough to me to justify sending more. I was looking more at the sapele top because I like the looks of that more but I'll wait and see what they sound like before I decide for sure.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on Sc10-sapele GR81dorne! I love mine and you're so right about it being a perfect gigging guitar. It really is a sweet sounding guitar acoustically too. I've been using Martin Monels on mine. You must've gotten lucky with your Fishman pickup, mine sounded terrible and I switched it out for a Baggs Element and it's much better for my needs.
Congrats again!

PS here's a pic of mine- https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...n+sc10e+sapele

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 02-18-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
The formal Martin specs says doesn't call out the top, back and sides as solid or laminate - just Sapele in all 3 categories, but given the model designation/series, I'm understanding it to be laminate back and sides and a solid top.
You know, Martin doesn't consider the other SC's laminate. It's a fine veneer over sapele. I'll guess that this is all sole spell leaving out the veneer.

I have to go find one to play one of these days.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Congrats on Sc10-sapele GR81dorne! I love mine and you're so right about it being a perfect gigging guitar. It really is a sweet sounding guitar acoustically too. I've been using Martin Monels on mine. You must've gotten lucky with your Fishman pickup, mine sounded terrible and I switched it out for a Baggs Element and it's much better for my needs.
Congrats again!

PS here's a pic of mine- https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...n+sc10e+sapele
If I don't like the pickup, would you recommend the Baggs Element? Is it an easy install or should I have someone do it?
Old 02-18-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
If I don't like the pickup, would you recommend the Baggs Element? Is it an easy install or should I have someone do it?
I;ve never played a Baggs Element that I thought sounded good. Honky, brash, too shrill. I hate them always.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know, Martin doesn't consider the other SC's laminate. It's a fine veneer over sapele. I'll guess that this is all sole spell leaving out the veneer.

I have to go find one to play one of these days.
Yeah, I guess I figure price point and manufacturing location would indicate laminate body. I will say it looks exactly the same all the way around and with no binding, you couldn't really pull it off without seeing the guts of the plywood.

That all said, Martin Released that D-15E last year and it;'s all solid sapele and made in Mexico, though $300 more expensive at MAP, so this could definitely be solid back and sides and because of the bolt on neck, but much quicker and cheaper to manufacture, making up the difference in price.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
... idiot-proof plug-and-play ... church ... modern happy tone ... well suited for church
Undoubted non-intentional but thanks, I needed a laugh!

Quote:
It's a fine veneer over sapele.
3-ply sapele *could* be sold a "solid" I guess...

IIRC sapele is even stiffer than "normal" mahogany so the top is probably (real) solid wood if the instrument has a good acoustic voice. Should be easy to see with the grain pattern (using a mirror to see if a particular landmark on the outside is visible from the inside to).

Now I'm getting curious if a sapele top has a noticeably different sound character than a "normal" mahogany top!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-18-2024, 06:12 PM

Sapele definitely sounds more fundamental and brighter sound than mahagony solely because it's way stiffer. In addition, it has an inherent strong fundamental characteristic more so than hog. It makes for good sides but I'd prefer a hog top
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 02-18-2024, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
Sapele definitely sounds more fundamental and brighter sound than mahagony solely because it's way stiffer. [...] It makes for good sides but I'd prefer a hog top
I listened to the few demos I could find and while they're not comparisons with hog tops I do tend to agree. Definitely didn't sound bright to my ears, and even in the recordings I got the impression they were rather quiet instruments. Then again stiff wood like this must take a while to break in and open up and these were evidently very green instruments.

And yes, I've also been getting the impression that sapele B&S sound a bit richer (if not more interesting) than mahogany B&S.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 02-18-2024, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I played one at a music store and was very impressed by it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion