The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2024, 06:38 PM

Default Wireless "cables"

There are several choices in this arena around the $100 mark, give or take. Is there a clear choice, and what do you give up when you ditch the cable?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 03-28-2024, 08:10 PM

1) you're way less likely to step on the "cable" and unplug it
2) reliability, that is, drop outs and interference from cell/RF devices are a true phenomenon
3) dead batteries

For the hassle and the assured feeling of having as few issues as possible, I buy Amphenol connectors, Mogami cable, and make my own cables. I run a loop through my strap -- which has straplocks on it -- and I don't go farther than my "leash" lets me. If I wanted to be like the showmen who dance across the stage, then I'd get a Lekato system and take my chances.

Sadly, I had an X-Vive unit (XLR condenser) die on me and never came back to life. The internal battery would not take a charge. My X-vive guitar unit was a tick over $100 and it works well enough, but the battery life is about 2 hours or less.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:42 PM

Similarly, I've had digital systems drop out during performances due to local/environmental interference. That's just not acceptable. I went back to cable-connected devices and now I can perform without concern about my "electronics" letting me down. If I were to try that again, it sure wouldn't be with $100 products. When they failed previously they were top-tier and still failed.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 03-28-2024 at 08:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification