The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 12:57 AM

Default Buzz on lower strings of Taylor 514CE

I have an older 1997 Taylor 514CE which I love, and would not think of selling or trading away.

Lately, I notice a definite buzz when playing the 2nd fret of the two lower strings with any strength. At higher frets the buzz goes away. It is not present on the upper 4 strings.

I am a fingerplayer, so the buzz is very annoying and distracting. When I press on the bridge, or on the top around the bridge area, the sound disappears. I have replaced the strings, and thoroughly checked the wires of the Fishman, and ensured no touching strings, pegs seated properly, etc.

What could be the problem, and can this be fixed easily, and should I go to a Taylor dealer, or to the factory?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 AM

I would call Taylor Customer Service and ask them about the buzzing problem when they return from their year-end vacation next week. You do not seem to be referring to fret buzz and if that is the case, any necessary repairs are likely to be covered by Taylor's warranty if you are the original owner of the guitar.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Unfortunately, I am the second owner. Still, it's worth the cost to get it thoroughly fixed.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Have you eliminated the following causes:

1.) Fret buzzing from low humidity guitar (bridge sinks down a bit, could be uneven)? You could check on Taylor's website for Tech Sheets "Symptoms of a Dry Guitar".

2.) Necessary truss rod adjustment? Again, Taylor's websit offers help with that. I've just done it recently on a newly purchased R Taylor Style 2 and it helped a lot. 1/4 turn counterclockwise was enough. It's easy, and there isn't much you can do wrong.

3.) Excessive fret wear could be uneven and only apply to those 2 strings?

I have recently traded my 1998 514ce for a 2008 model, but I ended up undoing the trade, cause the new guitar had a slightly warped neck. When I got my old 514ce back, the dealer had put on new frets (for which I paid), and it sounded like a charm afterwards. You may want to get your frets checked for uneven wear.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_w0kgfTpI

2016 Taylor 712ce 12-Fret - Lutz Spruce/ Rosewood
2013 Bourgeois BK Slope D Sitka/Hog
2008 R Taylor Style 2 Cedar/Hog - SOLD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion