The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2024, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

FYI, I just received an EV Everse 8 today. I updated the firmware, dialed it in a little at home and I think it sounds better than the Mackie Showbox. (acoustic guitar) Then I brought it to a gig tonight and used it as an extension speaker using the DI out from my Fishman Loudbox Artist. It is an excellent match. From memory, I like the tone of the Everse 8 better than the Showbox. I sent the Showbox back to Sweetwater within 24 hours. I just didn't like the eq'ing.

And the APP on the EV is infinitely easier and cleaner for my needs than the Showbox mixer. (Granted only 2 channels, but that's all I needed anyway) ...and the Battery power is a bonus.

I also think the Everse 8 has more clean headroom than my Bose S1 Pro Plus.

Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-19-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
FYI, I just received an EV Everse 8 today. I updated the firmware, dialed it in a little at home and I think it sounds better than the Mackie Showbox. (acoustic guitar) Then I brought it to a gig tonight and used it as an extension speaker using the DI out from my Fishman Loudbox Artist. It is an excellent match. From memory, I like the tone of the Everse 8 better than the Showbox. I sent the Showbox back to Sweetwater within 24 hours. I just didn't like the eq'ing.

And the APP on the EV is infinitely easier and cleaner for my needs than the Showbox mixer. (Granted only 2 channels, but that's all I needed anyway) ...and the Battery power is a bonus.

I also think the Everse 8 has more clean headroom than my Bose S1 Pro Plus.
Gary...you agree with most of us here that prefer the Everse 8 over the Mackie. I've been a Everse owner for a while and you'd be surprised at the size of the gigs it can cover. Plus it makes a great monitor / extension speaker / backup PA. Just can't beat it. I checked out the Mackie at a local music store last week and it didn't impress me much. The detachable mixer is something that really isn't needed. I use the app on my phone to set levels on my Everse and never touch them again. It's just extra clutter on my mic stand. Enjoy your new Everse!
Old 04-19-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the Everse is a great little speaker. It has covered numerous different types of gigs for me and I really love it.

Enjoy the new Everse Gary. BTW, nice set up

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-19-2024, 11:23 AM

In reality I love the concept of the Mackie but the build quality of the Mackies are bad when I’ve seen them. My everse is prettt scuffed up from sliding on stuff, even being accidentally pushed over. It feels well build. I don’t always put it in a case because im going from one gig to another quickly with a cart. I truly feel it’ll last.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
In reality I love the concept of the Mackie but the build quality of the Mackies are bad when I’ve seen them. My everse is prettt scuffed up from sliding on stuff, even being accidentally pushed over. It feels well build. I don’t always put it in a case because im going from one gig to another quickly with a cart. I truly feel it’ll last.
That detachable mixer looks very cheap to me. A couple drops and it's toast.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:52 PM

Default update, closing thoughts

Posted on behalf of Methos1979:

Hello AGF! No, I'm not 'back' per se, but I did encounter an issue with my Mackie ShowBox that I felt I should update on my original thread for the sake of continuity, since I was one of the early adopters/supporters of this system. So I've asked my good buddy, Earl (aka Earl 49), to post this on that thread for me. Basically, my ShowBox seemed to stop charging a week or so ago. When plugged in the charging light would not flash and the battery would not charge no matter how long I left it plugged in. I removed the battery to make sure the amp did fire up on AC alone which it did, so I knew it was getting power.

I contacted Sweetwater (where it was purchased from) and they sent me a replacement unit, as in a whole new ShowBox amp. Upon arrival I plugged in the new unit with my old cord and the charging light began to flash. I then swapped out the batteries and plugged in both units. This time the old unit with the new battery began to charge while the new unit with the old battery did not charge. So, the issue is obviously with the battery itself. I'm keeping the new battery and old unit so I don't lose my saved settings and firmware update and I'm returning the new unit with old battery to Sweetwater for which they were grateful.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this up here for any that are still following this thread or who might stumble upon it in the future. Other than the battery issue, the ShowBox continues to impress and is in fact an excellent system for our needs. We've used it several times playing live and always get a great tone for our mid-size venue shows. I love having that little mixer right at my fingertips! If anyone has any questions about this or other issues of which I am knowledgeable, you can email me direct at [email protected]. Thanks Earl for the assist!

Scott (aka Methos1979)

[end transmission]
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Where is Methos1979 ??

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old Today, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Where is Methos1979 ??
He made some kind of big announcement that he was leaving the forum...that he was "tired of it all"...whatever that means. I would give it a couple weeks and he'll be back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification