The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2019, 11:49 AM

Default Thoughts on a Wenge Collings CW

I had the opportunity to play a Wenge Collings D2HA some time back and was quite entranced with the sound. I was travelling for business, went back to the store a couple days later and it was sold. The guitar has been haunting me since that time.

The guitar was warmer overall and a bit more round in the treble than a typical standard Collings, and I think the adirondack top helped it to retain a good bit of punch. I believe this would be a good b&s set with a CW build.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on a Collings with wenge b&s, and /or specifically thoughts on pairing it with the CW build attributes. I have been strongly considering placing a custom order as a Christmas present to myself, but I would like to get some opinions from members of the forum.

Thanks to all
Old 10-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Can’t speak to Wenge but I once owned a CW Indian with Adi/EIR. It was like a race car that I never quite learned how to control, but admittedly also at a time well below my current level of flatpicking skill. Collings advertises these as made with a ‘stiff’ Adi top and Adi bracing for enhanced headroom. That also turned out to be my biggest gripe: it also played really stiff, despite two setups, and even the AO1 acoustic treatment by Frank Sanns in Pittsburgh. I sold it shortly thereafter.

The enlarged soundhole produces a more saturated midrange than their typical dreads. More clarity too. If you’re looking for greater warmth, I’d probably stick with the D2H over a CW design.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 10-18-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Excellent point

I had not considered that, especially the part about the large soundhole. What I was kind of shooting for was the typical Collings volume and brightness, coupled with a hint of warmth in the lower mids and bass. The guitar that I played exhibited those qualities. Perhaps I'll stick with a D2H with wenge b&s. Actually that would be what I had tried out and let slip through my fingers.

I did a search and there's one available online. If I pull the trigger it would be a win win. It happens to be less expensive than the CW with an upcharge for the wenge.

Thank you
Old 10-18-2019, 05:13 PM

I have a Collings OM3HA with Wenge back and sides. I love the sound but the Adirondack top on mine still needs some playing to open up. Feels a bit stiff now, but like I said, I love the sound. And it's quite nice looking as well.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I thought I wanted the enlarged sound hole too. I was wrong. I trust Brendan's assessment of the CW. Probably a fine guitar but not for me. I do have a rod rodded CS Collings D1 that I bought used that's amazing. Love to try a D2H in some form or another.
As far as Wenge goes I've never tried one and know nothing about that tone wood. But best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion