The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 11:09 PM

Default Using Finger-ease (or Not?)

Hello All, it's been while. I been using Finger-ease on my Martin DC16-GTE for a year & it really helps these old fingers move around a little easier on the Fretboard. But now, I just bought a Taylor AD22e and it has a Eucalyptus? Fretboard instead of Ebony which the Martin has. I'd like to continue using the Finger-ease but I don't know if it will damage the fretboard. Does anyone know anything about using Finger-ease on 'Different' Woods?

PS: It never hurt the Ebony Fretboard of the Martin.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

Can't say about different wood types.

Used to buy that stuff by the case.

Back in the 70's it was ether based.

I would spray till dripping off my neck. And spray still dripping off my hand.

Cloud of ether floating all around me on stage. It's a wonder my cigarettes never lit it.

Today it smells like lemon Pledge. Is way more greasy.

I've used on every guitar I've owned.

Never had a fretboard dissolve yet.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:04 PM

Default Thanks Ezy

That's what I was hoping to hear. It seems like it's friendly to fretboards so I'll just go ahead & keep using it.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

It's essentially naptha & iso-octane. Personally I would avoid, I've been exposed to more organic solvents in my many years in industry/research, so now I stick to organically sourced materials for maintenance & construction.

Ymmv :-)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I have very dry hands - not really a sweaty guy, but we all have some sort of body chemistry. I guess that's why we leave fingerprints when we break into the bank! (joke!)

I have been playing guitar since the mid '60s and at one time it was recommended that I use "Fast Fret" by a singer-songwriter that I highly respected.

I bought it I used it on my strings. it felt nasty.

I'm guessing that these products have some sort of silicone suspension.

I clean and polish my guitars with every string change (just done my D12-20 12 string!)

I use a product designed for antique furniture - so no silicone. I use it minimally with a cotton cloth that i barely damp with the stuff, and wipe off with a clean cotton cloth immediately.

Yes, sometimes there's a squeak when sliding on a string from, say second fret to 7th or some such, especially with new strings.
I'd suggest that you anticipate it and work out a way to minimise it by technique.

Personally I wouldn't use silicone on my guitars or my strings or on my hands.

YMMV etc.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:50 AM

I've never used the stuff, and I admit, wouldn't really want to put that stuff on my hands or my fretboard.

No idea what purpose it even has.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-08-2022, 01:46 PM

I like the smell of it. I never minded it touching the fretboard, but I usually isolated the strings with cloths when applying it. It didn't wipe off poly(urethane) tops easily.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion