The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Same here with Elixirs. I just changed the strings on my Taylor 814 and was not pleased at first. A couple days later, it's getting much better and I'll play it out at a couple gigs this weekend.. The D'addario Phosphor Bronze set I just put on my 12 string seemed great right from the start though and this one gets played at a couple assisted living gigs tomorrow. On my mandolin, it seems to take a couple weeks before I really like the sound of the new strings. Fortunately I'm at that sweet spot with the mandolin-which will be played out four times this week, so it's nice that it's sounding good! YMMV
Old 09-07-2022, 12:31 PM

My Signature Line Says It All.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:23 PM

ALL strings sound better after a few days!
Old 09-07-2022, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Nearly all of the strings I play require a few (3-7) days to acclimate, break-in, whatever. And then, they're like a bell curve, where they get better for a time until they peak and begin to show a decline. For me, I usually change my strings every 3-4 months (I have a lot of guitars, so playing time is divided between them).

The only exception (that I play) are GHS Vintage Bronze. Those mellow out after only a couple of days, but still last a long time. I only play them on a couple of guitars, who benefit from being toned down a bit.

The OP mentioned EB Aluminum Bronze. Those strings always came on bright and took a long time to settle in, but they would get better. Also, Nickel strings tend to start off good, but lose their luster with me quickly.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I Took out my Collings DS1 ASB this morning to work out a playlist for an hour long set I'm booked for.

I'd put a set of the old type of Martin SPs MSN4200 on it - when they went on they sounded dull and i assumed it was because the strings were possibly two/three years old (albeit in original sealed pack.

They suomded and felt great today!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion