The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 01:10 PM

Strings that need time to mature

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2
That describes just about every string I've ever tried. They all settle in after a couple hours of play time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Strings that need time to mature

+1, but sometimes days instead of hours.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post

+2

That's the biggest reason I don't like Elixirs, they sound new(awful) for months.
Actually, I was referring to Elixirs. Takes a few days to get rid of the 'newness' and stretch out properly. Then I play them for a long time. Been playing for nigh on 60 years and they are my current string of choice for all my guitars. I use Elixir PB HD Lights (.013 - .053) on most of my 6 string guitars.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks, which may count a lot for my liking of Elixirs. They just sound great to my ears when I play them. I don't have acid hands, Elixirs are not slippery (good callus?), and Elixirs do not fray in my employ.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 09-06-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Do you folks often find that some strings sound better after they have matured for a few days or weeks?
I feel that way about phosphor bronze but all strings need to settle in a bit.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:27 PM

I am evidently in the minority here, but to me nothing sounds as good as a fresh set of strings. As soon as they have seated and stretched properly, total bliss!

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 09-06-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
I am evidently in the minority here, but to me nothing sounds as good as a fresh set of strings. As soon as they have seated and stretched properly, total bliss!
I'm in total agreement. New strings sound the best. I like the "clangy" sound of new strings. I try not to change strings too often but three weeks is plenty on a set if I'm playing the guitar a lot. Older strings don't sound bad but to my ears, new strings sound better.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:03 PM

My SJ-200 rejects old strings - comes alive and gut punches you with fresh strings.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-06-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I seem to be good with strings.

Strings never seem to go "dead" on me but I tend to change them every three months.

I don't dislike the sound of brand new strings (I'm very old and have hearing loss - trebles) but they do sound better after a few days.

Perhaps strings are like people - when young noisy and jarring, then as they age, they become smoother and mature, then after a variable time they grow dull - like me!
Old 09-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Count me in with Andy, I’m old and dull like a good set of played in EJ17”s.

I usually get about a month out of a set with a couple hours of daily play time. I could go longer but I enjoy taking a cup of tea to my basement guitar bench where I change the strings, check relief and action, give it a polish or maybe the 6 month fretboard treatment with Lizard Spit fretboard potion.

Once strung with the string du jour I put that guitar in its case and play one of my others until the next day. 24 hours after stringing it goes back into the rotation. I guess I just don’t like that perfectly fresh string sound. I think of it like letting a wine breath, albeit for a bit longer.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:23 PM

Yes, once they are stretched out and settled in, I like new strings. My strings usually start sounding off/worn out to me after a couple of months of daily playing.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:27 PM

Funny but about when most people start changing their strings
I think their at their best on my little monster ( Colby Horton 12 fret )

strange, don't know why - hard to take off ( dont want to )
Old 09-06-2022, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Geez I’ve got a fresh set of elixirs on my d-18 and can’t stand the metallic new string sound , but I know they’ll sound good eventually and they weren’t cheap. I’m at the point where I use silk and steel on almost everything because they sound like a nice warm broken in string from day one.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:13 AM

I'm ok with new strings, but i prefer ut after a couple of weeks...mostly in My all mahogany Guitar Martin om15
Old 09-07-2022, 05:46 AM

Tried 80/20s for the first time a month or so ago. I found then too bright almost harsh sounding. After they’ve been on the guitar for this amount of time they’ve grown on me. I believe they sound less bright and/or harsh but it’s hard to know if it’s my perception or if the strings have changed.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:42 AM

thanks for your thoughts, folks.

Generally I like the sound of new strings. But I've found that often the strings that sound the best when new will "die" a quick death and will need to be replaced. I even went to a long jam and I put on a set of new strings and after about two hours of playing I noticed they were already on death's door.

Then I have the opposite as I stated ... strings that don't sound good when new but sound better after a few days (or weeks) of inactivity.

And, sadly, I have had some sets that sounded pretty much lifeless when new and then got worse. Or I would get a set with one or two strings that were lifeless and the others were fine.

I'm just thinking I may want to try those Retros again and this time leave them on longer. Btw, I'm using my repaired Tonerite and I'm going through my guitars. I've done one and I'm half way through my second guitar (the Masterbilt AJ500MNS) and I've found, as others have stated in other posts, that the process prematurely ages the strings so I'm going to probably restring all of my guitars.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-07-2022, 10:45 AM

As an experiment, I tried D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings on my 6-string (sitka/rosewood), and it took at least a week before I started to hear adequate sustain. That was back in March, and they're still going strong. But yes, they needed time to mature.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:57 AM

Default Titaniums

The only strings I've liked from the moment they go on have been Titaniums. I've left them on my D-18 for over a year & they have sounded great throughout. I once left them on close to a year & a half just to see how long they could last for me. Even though they still sounded OK I decided then that they should be replaced around a year so they never get audibly dull to my ears.

On my CS 00-18 my favs are Pearse PB & Silk Lt. Med. strings. I recently put them on after using something else for a while & thought they were a bit harsh. Next day, though, I remembered why they are my favorites. Two days later I was back in heaven. :-)

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion