The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 02:58 PM

Generally, I have "favourite" guitars for different things - my Avalon L32C generally for open tunings, but my Vintage Jamie Giltrap all mahogany specifically for C tunings. As an all-rounder in standard, it would probably be my Collings C10, but for 60s folkie stuff, it would be my Faith all mahogany slope. In the 12s my Guild F512 just edges out my Huss & Dalton. However, my hands down favourite-will-never-sell-prise-it-from-my-cold-dead-hands guitar would have to be my Stephen Kinnaird cedar/mahogany FS-12. I'd gone shopping for a strummer, but just 2 minutes in, I knew I'd found "the" guitar. Don't know if it's specifically the neck, the projection, the body shape, the 12 fret design or what, but it just feels right. The build quality is top notch and the woods are beautiful too and it can handle just about everything I want to do. It's the guitar which is always out on a stand and the first one I get out of a case if I've been away.
Old 09-07-2022, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

It is hard to pick a favorite of the ones I have had come and go, but I am seriously loving my Gibson G 45 as well as the Gibson J 45 studio walnut with natural top. It took me back to the early 90's when I was a paper boy and I had a customer that knew I had started playing guitar let me try his 2 older Gibson guitars, and I knew someday someway I would have a Gibson. Those 2 take me back to that simpler time just before the internet exploded all over etc.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:12 PM

Biggest surprise for me here is all the Guilds. Martins, sure you'd expect a lot of those. I'm taking a new interest in Guild.

Btw, anyone have thoughts on the value of a 1967 Guild D-40 in great shape? Not that I'm looking ... But there it is. I told myself I didn't need any more ..... Well, you know how it is.

Turtle
Old 09-07-2022, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

a 2016 00-18. Huge sound, responsive, lush, easy to play. I really only need this guitar. The rest in my collection are there just because I can. The GPC-15 is a close second though, that thing is amazing.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:18 PM

What's your favorite guitar that you've ever owned and why?

The one that I'm currently playing.

Because it's the one I'm currently playing.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 09-08-2022, 05:28 AM
Charter Member

I guess the favorite one I ever owned was a prototype G&L Comanche VI Interceptor body w/sickel headstock, Maple neck.

Was the most comfortable guitar I ever wore.

Traded to a jeweler for anniversary ring for Mrs. EZ.

Sure do miss them both.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:59 AM

Probably a Gibson CJ-165R that ordered brand new from Guitar Center in 2007. It was a compact jumbo that was visually gorgeous - sunburst with a black ebony board and parallelogram unlays - and a wonderful sound. The highs were sparkling, and it had plenty of punch in the mid range. It was short scale and a breeze to play.

I sold it because I though a Martin 000-42 must be better. That was probably my biggest guitar trading mistake ever!
Old 09-08-2022, 06:04 AM

My Gibson Hummingbird which I got new in 1970. It's been my musical companion for 52 years. It's given me the inspiration for countless original songs and my wife views it as a symbol of what attracted her to me more than 50 years ago. At this point it's more an appendage than an instrument to me.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-08-2022, 06:12 AM

Is it odd that my favorite guitar, at least the one that I like the best, is my first and least expensive and/or impressive guitar, my Yamaha FG-830. Yes, it’s laminated back and sides EIR, but I really don’t care. It sounds great! It’s probably because Yamaha took the time and effort to put a high quality solid Sitka Spruce top on it. No, it isn’t my best sounding guitar. As good as I think the FG-830 sounds my LL-16 ARE does sound better. So why do I like the FG-830 better? Frankly, I am only guessing at this, but I believe that it is just a bit easier to play. Possibly it’s the neck profile. It just feels more comfortable in my hand. The LL neck feels wider especially down past about the 7th fret or so. It just feels wider and not quite as thick. No, it doesn’t feel “bad”, it just feels different and that can be somewhat awkward.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I guess the favorite one I ever owned was a prototype G&L Comanche VI Interceptor body w/sickel headstock, Maple neck.

Was the most comfortable guitar I ever wore.

Traded to a jeweler for anniversary ring for Mrs. EZ.

Sure do miss them both.

Sounds like a song to me. Toss some chords in there, figure out a chorus ...... Viola!

Turtle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion