The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2022, 03:36 PM

Default Questions re: Yamaha FS3 and Atmosfeel system

Hi
I am contemplating getting a FS3 or FS5.
Has anyone here directly compared the two? Is the FS5 significantly better than the 3?
I am a big fan of the K&K Pure Mini pickup.
Can anyone comment on how the FSX Atmosfeel system compares to the K&K?
Thanks
Old 09-04-2022, 06:57 PM

I can speak to the Atmosfeel system. With a K&K, you'll probably need a preamp. A good one. With Atmosfeel, you can plug into virtually anything that makes sound and play with knobs either way and it's really difficult to dial up an offensive sound. Set all the dials at 12 o'clock and fine tune. Atmosfeel is nearly as good as Cole Clark pickups. Not even a hint of piezo quack. The piezo undersaddle pickup is always "on" and is responsible for the lower frequencies. The body sensor transducer pickup is also always on and picks up the mid and high frequencies. The mic, which is built into/onto the circuit board can be blended in to taste and picks up the higher frequencies and creates a more organic nature to the plugged in tone.

The 5 has a "wood" pickguard that annoyingly picks up noises if your hand brushes across it. I removed it from my FGX5. I own many Yamaha guitars. Some MIJ and most MIC. The Japanese made ones are better quality. Noticeably so. That said, the Chinese ones are no slouch and most non-musicians would be hard pressed to hear and/or see a difference.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:33 AM

Thanks, v helpful.
I do use a good preamp with my K&Ks - a Sansamp Para Driver.
There was a lot of buzz when these guitars came out but little mention of them in the forum recently.
I wonder if the initial shine has worn off?
Old 09-06-2022, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Although not an FS model, I have a new Yamaha FGX5 and love the Atmosfeel system and the guitar. My Review Yamaha FGX5
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-06-2022, 08:44 AM

I would go with the FS3. Save your self the money. I had one for a while and it was a great guitar. I really dont like the pick guard on the 5 series. If you played a 5 series and a 3 series side by side and were blindfolded I would be interested to see if any one could tell the difference. If you dont like the gig bag Sweetwater sells a case for it. And you still saved some money. I have the k&k pure mini in all my guitars, so Im a big fan too. When I first bought the FSX3 I decided I liked the pick up system well enough not to put the k&k mini in it. It was nice having the pre amp in the guitar. If you got one and decided you didnt like the atmosfeel system you could always put a k&k mini in it. With the money you saved buying the FS3.

Last edited by baw3; 09-06-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:53 AM

It's a great system. But, why would you depend on stranger's opinions? Just try them and listen for yourself.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I can speak to the Atmosfeel system.
I read your post here and thought it very interesting.

I ootoobed to see if there were any recordings that could give me a sense of it. I couldn't find anything. They were all either confusing or misleading.

Are you aware of recordings that has the Atmosfeel straight into a recorder demonstrating the controls? I can listen critically with headphones.

I too have an enthusiasm for the brand. My first quality guitar was an SC1200 for which I had a beastly F100-212.

Sweetwater has four FSX3 on their website today. Which would you choose?
Old 09-06-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I read your post here and thought it very interesting.

I ootoobed to see if there were any recordings that could give me a sense of it. I couldn't find anything. They were all either confusing or misleading.

Are you aware of recordings that has the Atmosfeel straight into a recorder demonstrating the controls? I can listen critically with headphones.

I too have an enthusiasm for the brand. My first quality guitar was an SC1200 for which I had a beastly F100-212.

Sweetwater has four FSX3 on their website today. Which would you choose?
I have a YouTube video where I run through a recording and various settings with my FGX5.
https://youtu.be/Mx3zozjEn4M

I'd pick the heaviest one...283 s/n. Looks the best as far as runout is concerned too. Some people are picky about that. I like the darker looking mahogany.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
It's a great system. But, why would you depend on stranger's opinions? Just try them and listen for yourself.
Sadly this is not possible where I live (N.Ireland). I would be buying online.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have a YouTube video where I run through a recording and various settings with my FGX5.
https://youtu.be/Mx3zozjEn4M

I'd pick the heaviest one...283 s/n. Looks the best as far as runout is concerned too. Some people are picky about that. I like the darker looking mahogany.
Thanks YamahaGuy. Useful audio.

Idk what runout is. Or why heavy is desirable.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
Thanks YamahaGuy. Useful audio.

Idk what runout is. Or why heavy is desirable.
Runout, to my understanding, is when the top [front] of the guitar has easily noticeable differences in appearance from one side to the next. It's clear there are two pieces of wood glued together. ((There almost always are, but some manufacturers do a good job of hiding it)) My FGX5 is light relative to my other guitars. The weight wasn't so much why I'd choose that one it was more of the looks.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
If you played a 5 series and a 3 series side by side and were blindfolded I would be interested to see if any one could tell the difference.
I could (FG3 vs. FG5) - the FG5 had a noticeably sweeter tone. In the end, I bought an FGX3 that was also at the shop - the FG3 seemed a bit unbalanced and a tad boomier than the FG5 while the feel of the FG5 was smoother than the FG3. For me, the FGX3 fit right between the two - good balance and sweet tone, plus the Atmosfeel system for less money.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 09-08-2022, 05:12 PM

I can't speak to 3 vs 5, but I have to say I really am impressed by the atmosfeel system. Thus far my experience with it is limited to nylon string guitar, but I like it so much that that might change at some point.

I have had K&Ks in the past also, and to my ear there's no comparison. The atmosfeel sounds much more natural.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion