The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2022, 06:05 PM

Used pretty much always.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Used guitars fit me better, and I go that way 60-70% of the time, even more so lately. All three of my current instruments are used. I let someone else take the initial depreciation. I also like some upfront, honest play wear, so I can worry less about inflicting the first bumps and bruises.
Old 09-06-2022, 03:30 PM

Usually new, and with a warranty. I have no trepidation buying a used electric. I'm comfortable assessing an electric for damage, and can adjust if necessary.
Unfortunately, I found out that some guitar magnates won't stand behind their work, (Gibson)....So I would gravitate towards a used Gibson instead of a new one.
With acoustics used, there are many things that can go wrong and may not be revealed during the sale. Also, I like to break the guitar in myself.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:11 PM

I'd always advise buying used: cheaper and played in. If you are buying a luthier-made guitar, you jump the wait list too. I'd even advise against commissioning a guitar as you never know if it will turn out as expected - buying used is a safer bet.

Jonny
Old 09-06-2022, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Nearly all of my guitar purchases have been made online. I just checked, and of my 15 current guitars, 10 are new and 5 are used. My daughter has three guitars (2 new, 1 used; same proportions!).

My reason for buying new is b/c I often have better selection to choose the one that sounds best to my dealer, looks best to me, or has some other distinguishing characteristic. Also, sometimes the guitar I'm looking for isn't available to buy used, so new is the only option. I have two new guitars on pre-order for later this year.

Also, there can be reasons why someone is selling their guitar. Some are simply looking for something new or funding some other purchase, so the guitar may be fine. But for others, they may be selling it b/c they don't care for the sound, and I worry that I may feel the same, if I can't play it before I buy it.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:30 PM

buy it used in very good condition -better bang for the buck .
why give a dealer top dollar when you can buy it used
for about half - and sell it latter on for what you paid for it .( or more )

Old 09-06-2022, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

Default used..

Used....because I'm smart....lol
Old 09-06-2022, 07:46 PM

Do you generally purchase new or used and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
The short-
Do you tend to buy new or used and why?

The long -
I've owned a lot of guitars over the years and almost always purchased used. I tended to change things up over time and I generally didn't take much of a hit when it came time to move one in or out. I gig them so I don't mind if there's already a cosmetic issue when buying.

However I'm at the point now where I know what I like and am considering a new guitar for the 1st time in decades because of that. I've had my electric lineup widdled down for years now (those 3 were all purchased used). But I'm doing more acoustic stuff now than ever, and would like to "finalize" that lineup now that I know what works for me.

The tightwad in me says wait for it to pop up used (they always do eventually), however the old geezer in me says I've earned it. It's a luxury as I already have tools that get the job done.

If I had someone with an interest to pass it along to, I'd jump in a second.

At 56, I don't know how much longer the new kids on the block and the venues they play at will let me hang with them. And when that time comes, I'm pretty certain I won't play nearly as much. Hard to say if I'll care what I've got in the stable at that point.

Decisions decisions...

So, why do YOU buy used or new?

Well bigbang,

Turns out that looking things over, my current signature is half bought used and half bought new. I try not to buy stuff I don't like, so I don't sell much stuff either. So it's 50 - 50 right now. It's also my total acoustic list if I add in two more, one new and one used. They haven't made the signature since I have run out of room to put them in there.
(A used sunburst Sigma J-200 Jumbo clone and a new natural Guild 2512 12 string Jumbo are not on the signature list.)

With one exception all were bought live and in person with plenty of time to extensively examine and test them for quality in both construction and sound. And they had to feel good in my hands. The one exception was a 'blind' (and 'silent') purchase from a member, which turned out 'exceptionally' well. ('Looking' at you, RP.)

My basic puchase criteria for new and used was about the same, with a attention paid to condition of the guitar after it passed the feel, build, and sound tests. For new, was it abused or excessively worn? That's not new in my book. For used it is about the same, with a little more allowance for being an experienced instrument. And can be more easily solved with an equatable price adjustment than a 'new' one can. I do not want to acquire an instrument that doesn't appear cared for, if for no other reason than there may be hidden damage that I cannot initially detect.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks. I not only play them, but I also take care of them as best I can. At the very least, I do not treat them carelessly.

So the answer to "So, why do YOU buy used or new" is kind of self evident to me. I simply buy guitars that both please me and that I want to buy, without regard for new or used. And since I've retired, cost also figures into the acqusition possibility equation quite a bit more than previously.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 09-06-2022 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:44 PM

I buy new if I can because of the warranty. I’ve already had to take my Martin 00-18 in to the factory because of binding issues. To their credit, Martin made everything right and I got my guitar back in about a week (during the pandemic!)
Old 09-07-2022, 12:09 AM

If I get to play it before I buy it, I don't care, but buying it used means if I don't bond with it, I can sell it down the road, and not lose money. Because I'm fairly good at guitar repair and maintenance, I can usually spot any problems a used guitar may have fairly quickly.

Online I mostly buy used from people that offer at least a 48 hour inspection period.

But I love new frets so there's that I bought my Martin HD28 new, and also my Gibson 50's J45. Most of my other acoustics I bought used, in excellent to mint condition, like this one, a 2001 Nick Lucas in MINT condition, although in the few months that I've owned it, with about 80 gigs on it, it's starting to get a bit of fret wear. I don't even know it Gibson even builds these anymore as it was a limited run, so I'm glad I found one used!

Old 09-07-2022, 09:16 AM

used always.

unless I make it myself!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:49 PM

I have always bought guitars that were precisely what I wanted. I'm fortunate to have found two mint used guitars on consignment that I'd previously considered custom ordering, have picked up one new guitar from a shop that convinced me it was just what I was looking for, and I've six acoustics that I've custom ordered.

This means that I do prefer to buy new guitars. I understand that if I resell I will take a hit: I did with a Collings D2 I consigned a few years ago, though I got a great two years of playing with it. But I'm pretty careful about what I'm looking for, and have played similar models in advance of purchasing, so I rely upon the fact that I'm really not very fickle, and I'm sure to give any guitar I pick up a year or two or three before I'm willing to pass it along.

Last edited by jrb715; 09-07-2022 at 12:59 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion