The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2022, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Do you generally purchase new or used and why?

I am ah about 50/50. I do like buying used guitars from reputable dealers. Two of the best guitars I own were bought used from Chicago Music Exchange and Acoustic Music Works. You get the opportunity to buy a guitar off of what it would retail, but the peace of mind of a purchase that comes with a seal of approval from a trusted dealer.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Generally speaking, I MUCH prefer to buy used for the better deal and the ability to sell off at no loss when I feel it's time to move on to the next adventure. Early on for the first 25-30 guitars it was always used as I tried to figure out what I liked. Now I know what I like and more importantly what I need in a gigging guitar. So as of late I've been buying new mostly just because I know what I want and I don't want to wait to run into a used one 'in the wild'.

Currently, I own two carbon fiber RainSong's which I bought both new. Not so much on purpose as these presented themselves to me as something I knew would work for me. It also helped to know that unlike a new wood guitar, a new CF guitar will hold up better over time to the rigorous environmental challenges of gigging. Three other guitars bought new were also carbon fiber (Emeralds) due mostly to the fact that they were custom orders.

There was also a Martin custom I bought new as well as two of the three Cole Clarks I owned. Oh, and a Journey OF660 (another carbon fiber) which I bought new as well as the used prices were not much of a savings anyway. But there have been a whole lot more used ones that have come and gone.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:35 AM

I've had a few used but definitely mostly new, and that's because where I live there is a very small market for used stuff simply due to small population. If I'm after something specific, chances are I'll never find one used in my province.

Last edited by Wellington; 09-03-2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:02 AM

It depends. What is the purpose of the guitar?

If it's intended to be a forever guitar, could be new or used. It just has to speak to me.

If it's intended to be a project guitar for modding or refurbishment, clearly used. Buy 'em cheap and have some fun with mods and upgrades. I might keep it, I might decide to sell/trade it. Either way, I haven't invested a whole lot into it.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 09-03-2022, 08:05 AM

Almost all purchases are new instruments

the only 2 exceptions are a 2002 Les Paul that I traded a Custom Shop strat from the store I bought it from a few years prior.

and a 1978 Alvarez Yari I came upon in the late 90s.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I generally purchase new since the selection is much better, and I've found that with a little negotiation the price difference becomes negligible. The other factor is that new guitars are much easier to return although that's something I rarely do...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-03-2022, 12:17 PM

Growing up somewhat poor, used was the only choice for the first decade+ of my guitar journey.

My first new purchase was a Larrivee in 1980 or so. They were just beginning their push into US, and were pretty exotic and hard to find.

I didn't buy another new guitar until 2020, and that was a custom luthier project.

I have no fear of purchasing used, and enjoy the savings.

If a guitar is a commodity from a factory, I see no reason to pay new prices.

If it is one-of-a-kind or rare, then if I want it I will pay for new.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 09-03-2022, 12:27 PM

Neither. Availability, price, condition and trust in the vendor are what matters most.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Almost always used.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohen View Post
Always buy new and never sell. Too many land mines in the used guitar market.
Well, I would say the reverse of that! But that's because where I live new guitars are more prone to move, compared to older instruments where the wood is a bit more stable.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

I prefer used, and as old as I can get them. Along with aged wood comes a lot of play time, both of which I like. I've bought cheap guitars in need of work, Not so cheap that already have had the work, used that aren't old enough to need work, and brand new. I've bought one guitar I haven't held in my hands. I have only bought one guitar sort of actively looking, my 65 Texan, and even then I was looking for a J 45.

I once wrote down what I wanted in my next guitar, the only time I ever did that. Found out Martin didn't make a 12 fret 00 15. Two months later there it was in Gryphon, a Custom order someone backed out of. Only new guitar I've bought.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

I usually buy new and only buy a used, excellent condition guitar when I can see, hold, and audition the guitar. The only used guitar I currently own is a mint-condition 2010 Guild F-212XL STD that was sold on consignment in my favorite local guitar shop by Willie, a craftsman at Ovation/Guild/Hamer in New Hartford, Connecticut. The store's owner and Willie are friends going back to the store owner's foray into guitar making with his American Acoustech brand. The owner used to buy his tonewoods from Ovation, thus the connection.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-03-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:38 PM

I own mostly used guitar.
Only my first guitars were purchased new.

Once you have a bit of experience with guitars (like modifying it, setting it up and understanding if the used guitar has nothing wrong), you will find almost only positive points in buying used guitars.

First, you can buy, try, and re-sell for virtually no cost.

But you gain a lot of experience with knowing which type of guitar you like or not (trying few minutes in a shop never provided me with confidence I was buying the proper guitar for me, I need time to adapt to the guitar).

You can also satisfy GAS without problems.

I also must say I buy only "good" guitars from reputable brands. Because, they are much more affordable used, easier to resell (the opposite of new "cheap" guitar), and because they are made to last much more than I might ever need.

I had plenty of guitars by doing so and settled with the one I liked.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Lots of interesting takes and stories. Glad I asked. Still undecided on this current acquisition though lol
Old 09-03-2022, 03:13 PM

I buy everything used including guitars. Buying new seems completely stupid unless you just like to waste money.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
The short-
Do you tend to buy new or used and why?
I buy both but my preference is definitely used for one huge reason. It’s cheaper . As I work through guitars to learn what I like, I have bought used from reputable shops, friends and on the AGF. Without exception they were good transactions for good guitars. And with only one minor repair cost for a lifting bridge in 20 years of buying used, I am way in front financially compared to new purchases, even without any warranties on all those used guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
...My practice is play-before-pay, so I rarely ever purchased from a place where I had not played the instrument...
Could not agree more. Tone and playability are best understood when that guitar is in your hands and close to your ears.

Having gained a better appreciation for what I want in a (solo fingerstlye) guitar my main guitars now are a few new ones that have been custom builds, based on trying that builder’s guitars then working through the build process with the builder to get close to what I want. But my most recent purchase was a used guitar I played at a shop. Got it for half its new price and it is in excellent condition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion