The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Do you generally purchase new or used and why?

The short-
Do you tend to buy new or used and why?

The long -
I've owned a lot of guitars over the years and almost always purchased used. I tended to change things up over time and I generally didn't take much of a hit when it came time to move one in or out. I gig them so I don't mind if there's already a cosmetic issue when buying.

However I'm at the point now where I know what I like and am considering a new guitar for the 1st time in decades because of that. I've had my electric lineup widdled down for years now (those 3 were all purchased used). But I'm doing more acoustic stuff now than ever, and would like to "finalize" that lineup now that I know what works for me.

The tightwad in me says wait for it to pop up used (they always do eventually), however the old geezer in me says I've earned it. It's a luxury as I already have tools that get the job done.

If I had someone with an interest to pass it along to, I'd jump in a second.

At 56, I don't know how much longer the new kids on the block and the venues they play at will let me hang with them. And when that time comes, I'm pretty certain I won't play nearly as much. Hard to say if I'll care what I've got in the stable at that point.

Decisions decisions...

So, why do YOU buy used or new?
Old 09-02-2022, 03:49 PM

All of my guitars (13) have been purchased New, except for two of them. The two that were used were both electric guitars.

I don't have anything against purchasing a Used guitar. However, I like the feeling of just knowing it's a brand new guitar that hasn't been played by someone else.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-02-2022, 03:50 PM

I suffer from fear of missing out so I buy everything new. I just missed my chance at the electric guitar I wanted. Gone forever. Even my backup option sold. I'm left with my $200 cheapo I bought to see if I like using a trem bar.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:53 PM

Depends on availability. Plus, many "new" guitars have been on a hanger in a music store and been banged on for countless hours.

I believe I've bought as many used guitars as I've bought new ones. Also, I bet some "used" guitars I've bought were in better shape and less played than some "new" ones.
Old 09-02-2022, 03:55 PM

I’ve bought both over the years, but in past 5 years only new. All my instruments I own now are all new (7 acoustics, 2 electrics and a mandolin).
Now when it comes to cars…lightly used.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:04 PM

I have no qualms buying used, but the one 'educated' purchase I've ever made for an acoustic guitar was new and I'll admit that I do experience pleasure derived from knowing that the instrument is incontrovertibly 100% mine. I know exactly where it's been, how it's been treated, and all the minutia about its overall condition. When you buy a used instrument, some of those details will always be a mystery, but those details certainly aren't mandatory to know either. A thorough inspection of a used instrument's condition is almost as good.

If I ever decide to step up to a $2,000-5,000+ guitar, there's a very good chance I'll buy used because I know I'd be able to score a like-new guitar that originally retailed in the $3,000-10,000 range if I were patient and judicious.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:10 PM

It's been a mix of both. My beloved Martin D35 was used (2015), a guitar I searched for 6 months to find, playing everything I could find around here, new and used. The only thing I found in all that time that I liked better was a 1930's Martin D-28. It had a few issues, the most prominent was the price at $18,000.

Lately, I've been buying new. It's nice to get fresh frets that someone else hasn't already worked over and I like the feeling of knowing that the more you play it, the faster it's going to open up and age. If it's solid tone wood and you like it new ...... you're going to love it after it's aged a few years.

Also, in favor of new, I think Martin is making some really great guitars these days. I played a 1970's Martin D35 that was a real dog, mine eclipses that one by a long margin. And, they're pre-aging their tops now, on some high end models. I would love to hear one of those! Could be sort of the best of both worlds, new but sounds 100 years old.

Turtle
Old 09-02-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I like new stuff. I mean, not knowing the history of a used guitar, how many people have had it and what they did to it while they had it, that's something I think about. I like having the new guitar warranty. But bottom line I just like new stuff.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-02-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

New most of the time. Seems like used guitar prices are too close to new prices, at least it seems that way for everything I want.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

If its a used guitar in new condition, heck yea I’ll buy used.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Most of the time I buy new, but this year I bought used from a member here. The guitar was in mint condition so it might count as sort of new,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-02-2022, 04:44 PM

I have purchased 15 guitars and not one of them was new, I find that you get a much better deal in the used market. If I have the opportunity to view the guitar in person I will go over it quite thoroughly and if I'm not able to see it in person I request a 72 hour approval time and that starts when I receive the guitar. If this is not expectable I won't process with the purchase.
Old 09-02-2022, 04:48 PM

Almost always used.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:54 PM

I prefer new. That said, 2 of my 4 flat top acoustic guitar were purchased used. 5 out of my 6 electric guitars were purchased used.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 09-02-2022, 06:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I buy new most of the time. However, one of my last was an eighty-year-old lap steel! Why do I often buy new? When I was younger, all I could afford was used guitars, pedals, and amplifiers. Not vintage, used. Somewhere along the line I wanted to see what new felt like. I'm not against used, but I enjoy a new guitar. There are no vintage dealers in the immediate vicinity so I don't get exposed to them often, either.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion