The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2022, 02:09 PM

It’s been 5 days with the new Boucher. I’ve been playing it a lot and banging on it pretty good. [emoji12]

The bass has opened up seeing as it was new in the case when I got it. The trebles are still fat. I think the audition is over and it’s gonna stay. It’s knocked the Marquis out of its first chair spot. And I think it’s a solid replacement for the Authentic. While the Boucher tone is not that of an “authentic” D-28, I’m not sure I care anymore. It’s a great tone. And Martin & Co. and their goofy necks have had enough of my money for a while.

I’m hoping to keep my GAS in check and let this one keep me company for a while. It suits me.

History says that as soon as I hit enter in this post Martin will release a new Authentic model with a new and improved neck shape for $1000 more than paid the last time. [emoji23]
Old 09-05-2022, 03:29 PM

Although I have yet to own one, Boucher are my favourite acoustic brand currently. I must have tried a hundred Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Collings etc. guitars, but once I tried a Boucher, it was over. I have yet to play one that I wouldn't buy and that's saying a lot as I have played some absolute duds from other companies. JP Cormier is a big Boucher user and they are popping up quite a bit now. The only downside is that prices are going up as a result.

I will own a Boucher in the near future, I am just trying to decide on which one. They offer quite a few back and side options and ones that I don't see from other companies like Bubinga. The Studio Goose line is my favourite though.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Although I have yet to own one, Boucher are my favourite acoustic brand currently. I must have tried a hundred Gibson, Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Collings etc. guitars, but once I tried a Boucher, it was over. I have yet to play one that I wouldn't buy and that's saying a lot as I have played some absolute duds from other companies. JP Cormier is a big Boucher user and they are popping up quite a bit now. The only downside is that prices are going up as a result.

I will own a Boucher in the near future, I am just trying to decide on which one. They offer quite a few back and side options and ones that I don't see from other companies like Bubinga. The Studio Goose line is my favourite though.

Thanks for sharing this! Good luck with your choice!
Old 09-05-2022, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It’s been 5 days with the new Boucher. I’ve been playing it a lot and banging on it pretty good. [emoji12]

The bass has opened up seeing as it was new in the case when I got it. The trebles are still fat. I think the audition is over and it’s gonna stay. It’s knocked the Marquis out of its first chair spot. And I think it’s a solid replacement for the Authentic. While the Boucher tone is not that of an “authentic” D-28, I’m not sure I care anymore. It’s a great tone. And Martin & Co. and their goofy necks have had enough of my money for a while.

I’m hoping to keep my GAS in check and let this one keep me company for a while. It suits me.

History says that as soon as I hit enter in this post Martin will release a new Authentic model with a new and improved neck shape for $1000 more than paid the last time. [emoji23]
Glad it's checking all the boxes Dave. If Martin does release another Authentic my guess is they will stay withy they're tried and true neck profile. Not to either of our liking but it's not likely to change? Enjoy the Boucher and play the 28 Marquis if you need a "Martin fix"!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-05-2022, 06:14 PM

Default Boucher SG-52 MV Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Glad it's checking all the boxes Dave. If Martin does release another Authentic my guess is they will stay withy they're tried and true neck profile. Not to either of our liking but it's not likely to change? Enjoy the Boucher and play the 28 Marquis if you need a "Martin fix"!

Thanks Jim! I appreciate all the off forum help to with the decision. It will be good to hear from more Boucher players as time goes on. Incidentally, I did try the new D’Addario XS PB strings. The coating is very thin. It even feels like they might coat the plain strings. Acoustically, I would agree with their claim that the coating is transparent. They don’t sound like Elixir “nanoweb” to me. Much more harmonic content and mid frequencies. It’s as if they are using the “Optiweb” coating that Elixir reserves for electric guitar strings. I have a set in the Boucher and the D-28 to do comparisons. The lighter tension is a bit of a relief. I’ll probably go back to Martin MA550T for bluegrass jams and song circles for that tiny bit of extra volume.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:08 PM

I’ve decided to send the Boucher back. The narrower string spacing at the nut, 12th fret and the bridge is difficult for me to get used to. The experience was a lot of fun. I enjoyed trying something new. While it didn’t work out for me, I suspect others will enjoy their handmade Boucher guitars now and in the future. C’est la vie!
Old 09-06-2022, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I’ve decided to send the Boucher back. The narrower string spacing at the nut, 12th fret and the bridge is difficult for me to get used to. The experience was a lot of fun. I enjoyed trying something new. While it didn’t work out for me, I suspect others will enjoy their handmade Boucher guitars now and in the future. C’est la vie!
I wasn't aware that the Studio Goose series had a narrow nut width?
Old 09-06-2022, 06:53 PM

It has a 1-3/4” nut but the E to e spacing at the nut is pretty narrow compared to a Martin. A good bit less than 4cm.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It has a 1-3/4” nut but the E to e spacing at the nut is pretty narrow compared to a Martin. A good bit less than 4cm.
Hmm, interesting. Honestly haven't noticed that. I know Martin went to a 1-3/4" nut width on a lot of their models, but one reason why I disliked Martin dreads in the past was when they had the much narrower 1-11/16" width.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hmm, interesting. Honestly haven't noticed that. I know Martin went to a 1-3/4" nut width on a lot of their models, but one reason why I disliked Martin dreads in the past was when they had the much narrower 1-11/16" width.

The spacing at the nut and the bridge is like the Bourgeois guitars except that the nut and neck on the Boucher are 1-3/4” whereas the nut and neck are 1-23/32” on the Bourgeois. Same spacing and width at the 12th fret either way. I learned this week I prefer a slightly wider option.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Typically but not always, there is a 0.25” difference between nut width and E-to-e spacing. So a guitar with 1 3/4 nut will have 1.5” E to e, while a 1 11/16 nut guitar will have 1.4375” E to e. Some makers, like Santa Cruz, will narrow that gap on some models…like my old 1934D, which had a 1 3/4 nut and 1.5625” E to e. That guitar felt like it “played wider” because of that extra 0.0625” E to e spacing and my fingers were able to perceive that difference.

Sorry to hear about the Boucher but playability is paramount!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-06-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Typically but not always, there is a 0.25” difference between nut width and E-to-e spacing. So a guitar with 1 3/4 nut will have 1.5” E to e, while a 1 11/16 nut guitar will have 1.4375” E to e. Some makers, like Santa Cruz, will narrow that gap on some models…like my old 1934D, which had a 1 3/4 nut and 1.5625” E to e. That guitar felt like it “played wider” because of that extra 0.0625” E to e spacing and my fingers were able to perceive that difference.

Sorry to hear about the Boucher but playability is paramount!

Yes I kept buzzing adjacent strings unintentionally. It was very easy to play, but perhaps my usual Travis picking technique is sloppier than I thought?
Old 09-06-2022, 08:15 PM

Pity the Boucher didn't suit you, but you do seem to be wedded to that Martin authentic vibe sans the idiosyncratic neck on the D-28 models. I think you might find issues with any non-Martin you play over a period of time once you've experienced the Martin authentics.

But you'll probably have to be patient for them to bring out a D-28 model with the neck you like and until then stick with the Marquis, unless you want to keep giving Martin, or other makers your money. Me, I struck gold on a 000-28 Custom Authentic Aged, which has a more 'normal', mod V neck profile. Luck, and patience; for until they brought out the 000-28 CAA, my only option for an 'affordable' and desirable rosewood 000 was a Pre*War, which would have involved years of waiting anyway.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
Pity the Boucher didn't suit you, but you do seem to be wedded to that Martin authentic vibe sans the idiosyncratic neck on the D-28 models. I think you might find issues with any non-Martin you play over a period of time once you've experienced the Martin authentics.

But you'll probably have to be patient for them to bring out a D-28 model with the neck you like and until then stick with the Marquis, unless you want to keep giving Martin, or other makers your money. Me, I struck gold on a 000-28 Custom Authentic Aged, which has a more 'normal', mod V neck profile. Luck, and patience; for until they brought out the 000-28 CAA, my only option for an 'affordable' and desirable rosewood 000 was a Pre*War, which would have involved years of waiting anyway.

Yes you make an excellent point. It’s the sound in my head. I really enjoyed that CAA 000-28. I played a few and the neck was great. Shame the won’t put that neck on the dreads. And yes, a Pre*War D-28 has crossed my mind but Brazilian rosewood is crazy expensive. In the meantime the Marquis suits me well.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:04 PM

Quote:
And yes, a Pre*War D-28 has crossed my mind but Brazilian rosewood is crazy expensive.
True, but I think the Pre*War EIR models would be up there with the Martin CAA models. I haven't played any, but those on the UMGF who have tend to think the Pre*Wars have a drier, less lush sound which brings them a bit closer to the real 1930s Martins. For the money they are the best bang for your buck if you're prepared to wait 2+ years. Even the up-charge for Brazilian is worth the money IMHO relative to other boutique makers who use BRW.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion