The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2022, 07:57 AM

Default Boucher SG-52 MV Experience

I took delivery of a new Boucher guitar purchased from SoundPure studios in N.C. I have only played one Boucher guitar, a Bluegrass Goose mahogany guitar and it was about 8 years ago. It was brief and I can only remember being impressed with the tone. Since most of you will likely not have any experience with Boucher I will offer a few comparisons.

Tone:

The tone is very good. Big volume. It’s a loud guitar. The notes on the top three strings jump out of this guitar. I would say it’s very similar to my experience with Huss and Dalton T-DR guitars in this regard. Collings Traditional models also come to mind. The bottom three strings are also “Huss” like. I hear a little more bass than a Collings Traditional. The bass is powerful but not muddy. The guitar flat picks and finger picks equally well. I suspect that the tone would be satisfying to other Martin guitar players.

Style:

This guitar really reminds me of a Bourgeois. Frankly, if you told me it was a Bourgeois I would believe you. The fit and finish, design choices, binding and abalone all scream Dana Bourgeois to me. Of note is that the Boucher dreadnought better matches the larger body shape of pre war Martins. The width is a hair over 16” and the depth is 5”. Martin recently introduced similar dimensions with their latest Authentic. I suspect the slightly bigger box is contributing to the volume.

Neck:

The design and finish of the neck seems like a facsimile of a Santa Cruz. SCGC makes my favorite neck and their finish is unique. Boucher took a page from their book. Soft satin neck feel that is perfectly smooth. Very satisfying. In terms of shape, Boucher follows the trend of very playable modern necks, but seems to stop short of Taylor or Martin in shrinking the depth. The 1-3/4” nut is comfy. The spacing at the 12th is 2-1/8” which is the modern standard. I prefer a little wider but I’m not complaining. The saddle spacing is 2.2”. Normally I prefer at least 2.25” but I’d be lying if I said I could feel the difference.

Overall:

I think Boucher is making a boutique quality guitar at a very reasonable price. When you consider that Robin Boucher is the source for Adirondack spruce tops for much of the industry, and he keeps the best ones for his guitars, it’s clear that they have a good recipe for building quality guitars. I’m happy to have taken the leap to try this one.

There is a little trepidation of settling on a guitar that is to be my primary day to day Dreadnought that doesn’t have Martin on the headstock. But, Martin has chosen to put a very odd neck on their best sounding Authentic guitars. I simply can’t keep going back to that well expecting different water. It’s too expensive and frustrating. And, while my D-28 Marquis is an excellent guitar, it suffers from marginally thin top 3 strings that are overpowered by the huge bass response. That said, I still love my D-28 and will play it frequently.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-02-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Dave, Enjoy Your Boucher For Many Years To Come! I'm looking forward to your photos.

I've been lusting after a Boucher dreadnought for a couple of months and may make an appointment to audition it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-02-2022, 08:57 AM

Congrats, enjoy it forever.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
There is a little trepidation of settling on a guitar that is to be my primary day to day Dreadnought that doesnÂ’t have Martin on the headstock. But, Martin has chosen to put a very odd neck on their best sounding Authentic guitars. I simply canÂ’t keep going back to that well expecting different water. ItÂ’s too expensive and frustrating. And, while my D-28 Marquis is an excellent guitar, it suffers from marginally thin top 3 strings that are overpowered by the huge bass response. I still love my D-28 and will play it frequently.
Congrats on the Boucher. I noticed your sig was missing the D-28CAA and wondered what happened. Now I have the answer — the neck got to you…again. Sorry about that. I also used to own a first year (2005) D-28 Marquis and completely agree with you about the "marginally thin sounding top 3 strings getting overpowered by the huge bass." The D-28CAA is worlds better balanced in that regard, but if the neck doesn't work no use in fighting it.

Enjoy!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I took delivery of a new Boucher guitar purchased from SoundPure studios in N.C. I have only played one Boucher guitar, a Bluegrass Goose mahogany guitar and it was about 8 years ago. It was brief and I can only remember being impressed with the tone. Since most of you will likely not have any experience with Boucher I will offer a few comparisons.

Tone:

The tone is very good. Big volume. It’s a loud guitar. The notes on the top three strings jump out of this guitar. I would say it’s very similar to my experience with Huss and Dalton T-DR guitars in this regard. Collings Traditional models also come to
Mind. The bottom three strings are also “Huss” like. I hear a little more bass than Collings Traditionals. The bass is powerful but not muddy. The guitar flat picks and finger picks equally well. I suspect that the tone would be satisfying to other Martin guitar players.

Style:

This guitar really reminds me of a Bourgeois. Frankly, if you told me it was a Bourgeois I would believe you. The fit and finish, design choices, binding and abalone all scream Dana Bourgeois to me. Of note is that the Boucher dreadnought better matches the larger body shape of pre war Martins. The width is a hair over 16” and the depth is 5”. Martin recently introduced similar dimensions with their latest Authentic. I suspect the slightly bigger box is contributing to the volume.

Neck:

The design and finish of the neck seems like a facsimile of a Santa Cruz. SCGC makes my favorite neck and their finish is unique. Boucher took a page from their book. Soft satin neck feel that is perfectly smooth. Very satisfying. In terms of shape, Boucher follows the trend of very playable modern necks, but seems to stop short of Taylor or Martin in shrinking the depth. The 1-3/4” nut is comfy. The spacing at the 12th is 2-1/8” which is the modern standard. I prefer a little wider but I’m not complaining. The saddle spacing is 2.2”. Normally I prefer at least 2.25” but I’d be lying if I said I could feel the difference.

Overall:

I think Boucher is making a boutique quality guitar at a very reasonable price. When you consider that Robin Boucher is the source for Adirondack spruce tops for much of the industry, and he keeps the best ones for his guitars, it’s clear that they have a good recipe for building quality guitars. I’m happy to have taken the leap to try this one.

There is a little trepidation of settling on a guitar that is to be my primary day to day Dreadnought that doesn’t have Martin on the headstock. But, Martin has chosen to put a very odd neck on their best sounding Authentic guitars. I simply can’t keep going back to that well expecting different water. It’s too expensive and frustrating. And, while my D-28 Marquis is an excellent guitar, it suffers from marginally thin top 3 strings that are overpowered by the huge bass response. I still love my D-28 and will play it frequently.

Pictures to follow.

Nice looking Boucher, Dave--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-02-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Congrats on the Boucher. I noticed your sig was missing the D-28CAA and wondered what happened. Now I have the answer — the neck got to you…again. Sorry about that. I also used to own a first year (2005) D-28 Marquis and completely agree with you about the "marginally thin sounding top 3 strings getting overpowered by the huge bass." The D-28CAA is worlds better balanced in that regard, but if the neck doesn't work no use in fighting it.

Enjoy!
Indeed. The neck on the "aged" authentic was better in that sense, but I found myself getting increasingly frustrated when I would make mistakes on songs I know by heart. I wasn't making the same mistakes with my other guitars, just the Authentic. Then it messed with my head and confidence when I was performing. However, that model has tone for days.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry that Martin D-28CAA didn't work out for you. The Boucher dread looks like a very good alternative! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 09-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Big congrats on the Boucher Dave...I was hoping it would all work out to your advantage and I believe it has. Enjoy my friend!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-02-2022, 02:48 PM

I’ve loved every Boucher I have played, although I don’t own one. Congratulations and I am glad you like it so much. Play it in good health
Old 09-02-2022, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the well wishes. It’s a bit of a bummer about the Martin Authentic. It did sound really tremendous. But I’ve been through that before with the neck. Someone who likes the neck will get a good deal and a fantastic guitar. And, hey, thanks for not rubbing my nose in it AGF folks! [emoji12]

As to the Boucher, I can see these getting more popular with American buyers. I suspect if they can keep up with production, more dealers will want to carry them. So far, I see no downside.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:08 PM

That is a smoking guitar, enjoy it!
Old 09-03-2022, 04:09 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Dave. Great looking guitar!
Old 09-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes. It’s a bit of a bummer about the Martin Authentic. It did sound really tremendous. But I’ve been through that before with the neck. Someone who likes the neck will get a good deal and a fantastic guitar. And, hey, thanks for not rubbing my nose in it AGF folks! [emoji12]

As to the Boucher, I can see these getting more popular with American buyers. I suspect if they can keep up with production, more dealers will want to carry them. So far, I see no downside.
Dave, cachet-wise, and we're all vulnerable to it, I see Boucher as the new Bourgeoise, the new Huss & Dalton, the new Santa Cruz, the new you name it brand. Boucher and all the above-mentioned guitar brands are all excellent but any well-made, boutique-type brand that newly emerges creates BUZZ and becomes the new IT!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-03-2022, 08:38 PM

Default Boucher SG-52 MV Experience

I did an open mic tonight with a large group that knows me well. I did my fist song which I though went rather well. Folks stopped me for questions. “What kind of guitar is that? It sounds amazing!” I explained it’s a new Boucher. “Kinda like my Martins but easier for me to play.”

I think this Boucher might have staying power. I can tell you my confidence to play the harder stuff is much higher than with the Authentics. [emoji12]
Old 09-04-2022, 03:13 AM

Quote:
I did an open mic tonight with a large group that knows me well. I did my fist song which I though went rather well. Folks stopped me for questions. “What kind of guitar is that? It sounds amazing!” I explained it’s a new Boucher. “Kinda like my Martins but easier for me to play.”

I think this Boucher might have staying power. I can tell you my confidence to play the harder stuff is much higher than with the Authentics. [emoji12]
That’s fantastic, it’s always rewarding to get that kind of feed back. I completely feel the same way about the neck of my old Larrivee L01. It’s the largest guitar I own, I prefer small bodied ones. But it plays as easy as my 00 12 fret, the neck contour just works well for me.

Continue to enjoy that new beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion