The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-02-2022, 06:22 AM

Default Anyone use a Taylor T5 for performing?

I’ve said in several previous threads how bad my hands are getting…arthritis and trigger finger taking its toll. So much that playing my “traditional” Martin 6 strings is all but impossible.

Does anyone use a Taylor T5 for live performance? I’m a classic “singer/songwriter” kind of guy. Some strumming, fingerpicking. Play a lot of Buffett, JT, Eagles, folky kind of stuff.

Are these easier to play? How about sound….is it fairly close to a real acoustic in a live setting? How do they hold up to different styles of playing.

I just retired and not ready to hang up playing out….
Old 09-02-2022, 06:34 AM

I don't own one. But my duo partner does. I think it sounds great and he says it's very easy to play. He is a retired minister and he used to play it during his Church services and says the guitar is very versatile.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I started on a T5. Super-easy to play compared to an acoustic, more like an electric. But despite what I saw on YouTube videos, it sounds nothing like an acoustic in reality. I tried everything to get a 'real acoustic sound' out of it - modeling pedals, dual amps (electric and acoustic), you name it, I tried it.

But in the end the first time I strummed a Martin 000-28EC (the guitar I eventually traded it in for) it was an instant, "Ahhh - THERE'S the sound I'm looking for!" moment (as in an actual acoustic sound, not necessarily the Martin acoustic sound). I was just never able to replicate what demo videos online did.

All that said, if it means the difference in playing longer or stopping, it's certainly worth a try as they are definitely easier playing on the hands and fingers, no doubt. My experience was also over a decade ago and there have been many improvements in amplification and modeling so who knows?
Old 09-02-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I had one. The great sounds you hear in some of the YouTube vids is a product of lots of effect pedals. I only ever found one decent sound out of mine and it was not an acoustic sound. I found most people sold theirs for the same reason I did, no usable tones.

Arthritis? The T5’s have very skinny necks, I can’t play guitars like that anymore due to arthritis in my fretting knuckles.

I think you might find the Fender Acoustasonic more useful and the Player version is reasonably priced, especially right now with Fender Labor Day sale.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I had one and never once for anything other of it that sounded even remotely decent. It was very easy to play however.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:00 AM

Perhaps try a few different necks on Martins. The MLO neck (on most Standards) is fairly low. The Modern Deluxe has an even smaller profile. Some even like to get larger or V necks to accommodate grip issues.

I tried a T5 some years back, and agree that it's difficult to get a natural acoustic sound out of it. But it is easy to play.

Another option just occurred to me: PRS Hollowbody II with a piezo. I heard someone playing one a couple years back, and its acoustic sound was passable.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 09-02-2022, 02:28 PM

Didn't Joe Ely tour with one about 10 years ago. I remember watching him on BBC's Songwriters Circle series, playing with Lyle Lovett & John Hiatt. He played a Black one there.
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10CEQ.
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
2021 Martin OOO-15M.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:44 PM

I have the plain, ovangkol one....the neck is incredible--slim, fast, really easy to play. The sound isn't bad...it doesn't match my 814ce or my 000-28, but through an acoustic amp it's reasonable. I have a pretty light touch, but my brother in law used it for a few gigs--he plays pretty aggressively and loved it.

If you decide you want one, message me...I'm not playing out, so don't have much use for it anymore and I'll give you a good price on it.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:47 PM

The Martin sc13e might be worth looking into.
Old 09-02-2022, 02:54 PM

Yes, I owned a T5z and performed with it for a few years, running it through a Fishman Loudbox Mini. Really easy to play but you will likely not get an "acoustic guitar" sound, although a couple of the five-position switch settings were useful.

I doubt that it will give you the physical benefit that you're looking for. The folks who've suggested a thicker neck are on to something.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 09-02-2022, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

I've owned two diff T5z's though not at the same time; a maple topped "Pro" and all mahogany Classic Deluxe. I've perform with the all mahogany in a 3-piece acoustic/vocal group. IMHO mahogany topped T5/T5z's produce a "better" acoustic tone than maple topped. It makes sense -to me- since mahogany topped acoustics can sound quite nice, maple topped not so much...there's a reason. I sold the (beautiful) maple topped because I couldn't dial in an acoustic tone that satisfied me. I was more successful with mahoany topper. As Taylor says the "best" acoustic tone is position 1 where the body sensor and the hidden neck humbucker are engaged. I played through a Fishman Loudbox Artist, passing first thru a TC Electronic BodyRez Acoustic Pickup Enhancer pedal, which helps get tone closer to a true acoustic. No, it's not a pristine acoustic tone I'd want in a recording or maybe not while playing solo in a "quieter" venue where people are talking less and listening more; but in a noisier venue setting and with multiple players I felt it worked well. The added pluses are it's very light weight, feedback resistant, and its small size really helps out on cramped stages/places.

Last edited by gmel555; 09-03-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:00 AM

There's a local guy here who plays a black one regularly at bars and restaurants. It honestly sounds just fine in that setting. Not amazing but in no way bad. He plays it through a smaller Fender acoustic amp. I've heard plenty of plugged in acoustics sound worse.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

as others have noted, there is a challenge to replicating the great sounds you hear in the marketing videos. At a Taylor event I saw Wayne Johnson get amazing tones out of a T5. So the key here seems to be, first, be Wayne Johnson...
Old 09-05-2022, 08:43 AM

That was the goal when I had one. I ended up using it more for the electric tones. My Zendrive pedal and Carr Rambler made it sing. Ended up not being in a band and traded it for an acoustic since I didn't really need something that did both when I wasn't in a band. I still have 2 Taylor T3s.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:10 AM

Yes. When I played in an instrumental surf music band there were several songs that required an acoustic guitar: Endless Summer, Tequila, Sleep Walk, Latina and others. I used my T5 for them. It is very easy to play but did take a little adjustment of settings to dial it in. I usually got a few positive comments on how sweet it sounded.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion