The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2022, 04:02 PM

Default More Armrest Questions....

I've installed a JP armrest on a Larrivee OM-05 15 years ago and it works very well. I recently bought an Eastman AC108CE-LTD GrandConcert with a matte finish and would like to add one to that. It's a shallow body and the sound is dramatically improved when the arm is off the top. I have a slimline size rest without the tape. I know JP sells the tape but there must be something I can buy locally. Few questions....

1. Is this always a FOAM double-face tape? It's been so long since I put one on the Larrivee I don't remember but shouldn't the color of the foam match the armrest so you don't see it looking down? Black for ebony, etc?

2. Does the tape have a different affect on a matte finish vs a high gloss?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2022, 07:08 PM

The color of the tape is the same regardless of what the armrest is made out of, kind of an off white color. It works equally well on matte and high gloss finishes.

whm
Old 08-20-2022, 07:15 PM

You can purchase 2 sided tape at a hardware store.
Just cut it slightly smaller than the guard and you should be fine.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:32 PM
Musical minimalist

I use 3M double sided adhesive - comes in small rolls. I cut 4 small pieces, just as wide as the "raised" part of the armrest (the rim the adhesive goes on) If you space them out it will work fine, and be easier to remove if you decide it's not for you (or the guitar)

I wouldn't use it on any nitro finished guitars though - just found that out the hard way!

Old 08-20-2022, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
I recently bought an Eastman AC108CE-LTD GrandConcert with a matte finish
I bought one new (#199 out of 200 built). Love it for fingerstyle but I believe the light weight build w/ the Adirondack top provides a balanced, open punch when strummed even without an armrest (for my personal style). I'm sure an armrest could even further enhance it's tone and volume (eliminating damping). I would be interested to know the armrest make and model you've chosen.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 08-20-2022 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Also check out the "Junior" model. (John Pearse) The Junior & Slimline both work well with smaller guitars, but sometimes one shape goes better with the guitar than the other. Also the color matters, & unfortunately the Junior only comes in rosewood, & the Slimline only comes in ebony. The woods have always determined which one I bought.
Steve
Old 08-20-2022, 08:14 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Also check out the "Junior" model. (John Pearse) The Junior & Slimline both work well with smaller guitars, but sometimes one shape goes better with the guitar than the other. Also the color matters, & unfortunately the Junior only comes in rosewood, & the Slimline only comes in ebony. The woods have always determined which one I bought.
Steve
Yes - the junior slimline is the one I use the most.

I have sanded them down to a more symmetrical shape and put exotic wood overlays on them I just like the slimmer look, without that thicker end.

One is Koa and the other is Cocobolo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rests.jpg (57.8 KB, 171 views)

Old 08-20-2022, 09:33 PM

JP armrests can often come pretty close to fitting the contour of your guitar if your lucky, but if your want the best, get yourself The ARC. They are super-high quality armrests individually handmade to exactly fit your guitar and playing position.

I love 'em. Decota's now made ARC's for six of my acoustics. They significantly improved the sound and comfort I experience with the whole pack.

Find ARC info here: https://my-arc.ca/
Old 08-20-2022, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

I can second the ARC recommendation. I have one on my Weber L00. Significantly improved the volume and sustain. Beautifully finished and fits perfectly because it was custom made for this specific guitar.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:46 AM

Actually, I've had a hard time finding JP armrests, especially the slimline. Other than Elderly ($30 + $10 shipping) I haven't found many places that stock them. Checked Amazon, Reverb and Ebay. Lots of $10 knock offs out out there, though. Tempting.....
Old 08-21-2022, 12:09 PM

I have made my own armrests several times. That way they are all custom made for each guitar. It is not hard to do but I enjoy fooling with wood anyway.
Old 08-21-2022, 12:43 PM

I actually traced my JP - and made it fit the contour of my Guild D-25
( used a scrap piece of Brazilian rosewood ) used 3m double face tape -same that JP uses
Old 08-21-2022, 03:39 PM

I like having a JP slim armrest on my acoustic guitars. My 0 size sea gull was too small for the JP eyebrow. I ended up ordering a $10 ebony one from violin-india on Ebay and it fits the small body perfectly. It did not come with any sort of adhesive and took weeks for delivery but turned out well for my purposes. I can't say if its real ebony but its black hard wood and looks great.
Old 08-23-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadzmad View Post
I like having a JP slim armrest on my acoustic guitars. My 0 size sea gull was too small for the JP eyebrow. I ended up ordering a $10 ebony one from violin-india on Ebay and it fits the small body perfectly. It did not come with any sort of adhesive and took weeks for delivery but turned out well for my purposes. I can't say if its real ebony but its black hard wood and looks great.

I got one of these on Amazon and it's actually very nice. Made of one solid piece of wood and perfectly shaped. I'd like to use the original John Pearse tape but it's hard to find anyone selling it. If Breezy Ridge had an actual online store it would make things easier. I guess I'll go with the 3m tape I used for securing wires for a recent pickup install but I'm not sure if it's too thick. What did you use for yours? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:38 AM

I ordered an ARC for both of my guitars shortly after I saw them on JP Cormier's show. I got a mahogany and an ebony for my 000-15M and E20OM, respectively. They fit perfectly and definitely add to the resonance of the tops. They're very comfortable and worth the investment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion