The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I like Gibsons, always have. Some of the best bursts in the business, and beautiful designs. Have purchased a few in person and enjoyed them quite a bit. Some were better than others like all guitars. In looking at them over the years yeah, there have been fit and finish quibbles I haven’t seen on other guitars. Of the ones I’ve owned, one had no finish on the top of the headstock, another the center seam and the neck didn’t quite line up. Both really good sounding guitars though and neither issue had any bearing on my enjoyment of them. I’ve seen a lot of similar stuff playing them in local shops. Never a deal-breaker, just kid of odd.

I don’t find the comments drastic. I can see why they get the rep they do here, so many folks buy remotely and fit and finish seems to take on disproportionate importance. But I’ve played and owned enough of them and spoken to enough dealers about them that it’s quite obvious they don’t have QC at the level of other companies. Not sure why anyone would take that personally, it’s not a big deal. No one else makes guitars that sound quite like em and the vibe is fantastic. They are what they are. And the QC isn’t so egregious that someone could own several and never see an issue, so it’s kind of illogical to refute the QC issue by saying “I’ve never seen it so I don’t believe the reports”. Fine if someone has never had an issue and you should say so. But denial of other people’s experiences seems...well...a bit irrational to me.

I’ll happily own another Gibby at some point, I’m sure. Or maybe a Kopp. But at the prices they’re asking, it’s going to have to be a monster. But again, I could say that about Santa Cruz and a couple other companies as well. They’re out there for sure. Hoping stores open and inventory comes back soon, for all of us!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Now that's funny I don't care who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Oh, it had nothing to do with the wall hangers:

I never noticed. Good eye.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:03 AM

Bought four Gibson acoustics last year and all off them are made very well and beautifully. Especially the finish is fantastic.
I sold one Gibson acoustic this year that was my live guitar for 15 years or so. Great as well. So if one like the - very special - sound of a Gibson, he will most likely be happy with getting one.
All in all I had 5 acoustics and 2 electrics from Gibson, all good. I must be a very lucky guy if I read all those complaints.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 04-02-2021, 04:45 AM

Location: I live in Northern Michigan, I grew up in Flushing Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
"I take it you have little kids around the house."

yes I do. All of the guitars are on wall hangers out of the reach of small hands. I guess I could always case them, but I find I play/practice more if they are readily accessible.
That is an Awsome J50! Love that hog grain too.
1961 Martin O uke (Sweetpea)- My wife's nickname - born also 1961)
Old 04-02-2021, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I must come back to this thread and report from my time at my favorite local music store yesterday...and from having the pleasure of trying several new Gibson guitars. I played a J45 Historic, a Hummingbird & a guitar that absolutely stole my heart...a Custom Shop 1934 Jumbo with a deep body, the thinnest nitrocellulose finish, & the most surprisingly wonderful, but MASSIVE modified-V shaped neck I’ve ever come across. I’m not a dreadnought guy...but if I’d had the funds, this one would have come home with me. Just amazing, huge tone!

All in all...though there were some small imperfections, the build quality of all three Gibsons I played, as well as two more I “handled”...was very nice indeed. There were absolutely none of the glaring defects (as far as I’m concerned) that I found on the ones I’d inspected in the past.

So...I must tip my hat to Gibson, as they have changed my opinion about their acoustic offerings, at least as far as physical build quality.

I’d gladly own any I saw & played. They were all wonderful.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:54 AM

What is irrational and irritating is when some folks fashion a generalization about a guitar company based on personal experiences from a long time ago and/or hearsay and then applying those experiences to use a “negative label.” today.
The OP was inquiring about the current state of QC at Gibson was he not? I believe he used the words “these days”, not the seventies or back when somebody worked on thousands of Gibsons over a 40 year time period. Maybe “these days” means in the 20th century to some. I would think “over the last few years” would be a little more accurate.
He was quite aware about the past issues... that’s why he was asking. Yet some responders still chose to go way back in time. Why?
For me that comes across as “personal”, as in having a bias.
Finally, If there is one thing I have learned in any industry it’s not to place an enormous amount of credence in heresay. It tends to get blown out of proportion, becomes mythical and may have little to do with the present.
Seems to me the preponderance of replies about recent experiences with Gibson Quality were very positive.
It’s completely fair to relay experiences good and bad. In fairness to the person asking the question, maybe just do it in the context of that specific question. I would consider that “rational”.

To the OP:
My 2017 J45 and my 2018 J15 are both excellent builds and I find them to be of high quality.
BTW, neither one has binding issues like my D18.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 12-13-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:57 AM

As Gibson descended into bankruptcy in 2018, there was a noticeable decline in their QC from 2015-2018. The new management has made a significant effort to improve this. This is not to say that you could not get a great guitar during that time period. I owned a 335 made in 2017 that was fantastic. But it took 3 guitars to find one without a hump in the fretboard where the neck attached to the body. The guitars I have seen since the new management has taken over have been great.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
Beautiful J-50! Love the grain in the top and the fiddleback mahogany on the backside. Bet it sounds and plays great too.

As far as Gibson in general, my sample size is exactly one so I will form no opinions about general quality of the brand based on that. However, my 2018 J-35 demonstrates excellent quality fit and finish and tone. The only quibble I have is minor - I don't care for the tuners. They are not very precise. I could see upgrading these in the future.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:16 AM

Default 2021 Songwriter

Just bought a 2021 Songwriter EC with a Fishman Prefix Plus-T pickup. The acoustic sound on this instrument is exceptional. I love it. But, I took it back in for 2 issues. The frets needed to be finished. No fret sprout, just rough edges. I have guitars at 1/3 the cost with very smooth fret ends, so someone is not taking the time to finish these guitars. The second issue is reduced response of the pickup on the middle 2 strings. This may be a simple fix. I don't know yet, but if I'm paying $3000 for a guitar, it better work. I'll follow up once I find out what's going on.

UPDATE: The tech at the shop where I bought it fixed both issues. The fret edges are like butter now. The reduced response was due to something under the saddle. Everything is fixed and it plays beautifully now. I am ecstatic to have this baby back. The sound is amazing.

Last edited by ibike2work; 12-12-2021 at 11:22 PM. Reason: update on 12-12-2021
Old 12-10-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike2work View Post
Just bought a 2021 Songwriter EC with a Fishman Prefix Plus-T pickup. The acoustic sound on this instrument is exceptional. I love it. But, I took it back in for 2 issues. The frets needed to be finished. No fret sprout, just rough edges. I have guitars at 1/3 the cost with very smooth fret ends, so someone is not taking the time to finish these guitars. The second issue is reduced response of the pickup on the middle 2 strings. This may be a simple fix. I don't know yet, but if I'm paying $3000 for a guitar, it better work. I'll follow up once I find out what's going on.
Those are two minor issues that are easily remedied by a good tech or luthier. If you like the guitar I'd get it fixed under warranty instead of returning it. They don't all sound the same so the next one may not be as exceptional.

EDIT: After re-reading it sounds like you are getting the guitar fixed, not returning.
Old 12-10-2021, 02:29 PM

j-45s that I looked at all seemed to have cosmetic imperfections that should not be there on a 2800 dollar instrument.

they sound awesome, but attention to detail needs some work.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:05 PM

I took a chance on buying both my Gibsons online and while both have little things. My 2013 Hummingbird True Vintage had a scratch in the bridge that a luthier friend sanded out easily, there’s a small finish issue near the soundhole of my 2021 J-45 50s Original that I noticed when I first bought it, shrugged, and haven’t considered (apart from this post) since.

To the original question (and this is based on a data point of 1): I bought my J-45 thinking I might not bond with it since my other acoustics seemed a little bit up the food chain from this one (the True Vintage Hummingbird coming from the Gibson, my Authentic and Golden Era Martins, and my Waterloo).

This J-45 has pulled me back to the Gibson side of things after a few years of not being especially into them and that’s something I can say that didn’t happen for me with the other J-45s I tried from about 2015-2019.
Old 12-13-2021, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Just picked up my first Gibson...a J45 Standard. Very nice guitar, great tone...and clean fit/finish.

Last edited by TDavis; 12-13-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:14 AM

My 2021 Southern Jumbo is everything I’ve ever wanted in a J45. Cosmetically and sonically perfect to me.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:22 AM

Not an acoustic, but I went Les Paul shopping recently looking for a nice Standard. Sadly every one I looked at in the store had a rosewood fretboard like a ploughed field; rough, gritty and unpleasant to play, and felt as if they hadn't bothered with final sanding before fretting. Such a pity that the most important part of the instrument was left in such a state, especially as the fit and finish was otherwise excellent. This was the same with four or five Les Paul models I looked at and played.
When Gibson gets it right the results can be spectacular. Unfortunately their quality control seems to be very much a matter of luck of the draw these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion