The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-01-2021, 09:19 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
You can choose to believe what you like, but doing so doesn't change the facts.

The fact is that Gibson's fit and finish quality has always been somewhat variable. That you haven't experienced it, doesn't alter that.
With all due respect, until I switched to Taylor recently I've used Gibson acoustic since the early 1970s. Additionally, many of my friends and co-conspirators have used Gibson in bands I've played in, and other circumstances. Through the years I have real-world intimate experience with probably 30 Gibson acoustics. Every single one of them was well-built and solid, with no "QC problems" or finish/build issues. The AGF has a longstanding bent against Gibson that is legendary, undeserved and unnecessary except to bait Gibson users.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 04-01-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
With all due respect, until I switched to Taylor recently I've used Gibson acoustic since the early 1970s. Additionally, many of my friends and co-conspirators have used Gibson in bands I've played in, and other circumstances. Through the years I have real-world intimate experience with probably 30 Gibson acoustics. Every single one of them was well-built and solid, with no "QC problems" or finish/build issues. The AGF has a longstanding bent against Gibson that is legendary, undeserved and unnecessary except to bait Gibson users.
Well put and agree as well.
Between the AGF and TGP, there is a long standing prejudice of Gibson guitars.

My suggestion for both the TGP and AGF is set up a separate Forum category and call it “Gibson haters”. This way all of us that play, enjoy and appreciate our Gibson guitars can ignore the mostly misguided rhetoric

Another suggestion is to avoid both forums as well.

So...I will gladly follow my advice and shut up and play my guitar.

See ya.....
Old 04-01-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
I don't have vast experience with Gibson but I am more than pleased with 2020 J-50 I bought. I would rate the guitar A+ on fit, finish and of course the tone. Absolutely no complaints.

I take it you have little kids around the house.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
The AGF has a longstanding bent against Gibson that is legendary, undeserved and unnecessary except to bait Gibson users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
Well put and agree as well.
Between the AGF and TGP, there is a long standing prejudice of Gibson guitars.

My suggestion for both the TGP and AGF is set up a separate Forum category and call it “Gibson haters”. This way all of us that play, enjoy and appreciate our Gibson guitars can ignore the mostly misguided rhetoric.
There are the "usual suspects" in these threads time and again. My recomendation is to use the "ignore list" to your advantage like I do.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I’m giving up the discussion about Gibson and their QC.
I choose not to believe most of these drastic comments. I have played and seen a ton of Gibsons and I too have not personally witnessed any of this horrific stuff...ever.
I have heard a lot of stories about Martin binding issues tho’ and neck resets out the wazoo.
Somehow that doesn’t seem to generate the same kind of highly negative commentary about their QC.
Whatever, folks.
I quoted myself on purpose.
Incidentally, someone else’s “facts” don’t seem to align with a lot of other folks’ facts. Maybe let’s not impose unproven negativity and limited personal experiences as facts in general... fair enough?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-01-2021, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson on wall hangers.

"I take it you have little kids around the house."

yes I do. All of the guitars are on wall hangers out of the reach of small hands. I guess I could always case them, but I find I play/practice more if they are readily accessible.
Old 04-01-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Incidentally, someone else’s “facts” don’t seem to align with a lot of other folks’ facts.
We live in a time where "facts" and "opinions" have become synonymous, with the distinction between the two largely lost.

Quote:
Maybe let’s not impose unproven negativity and limited personal experiences as facts in general... fair enough?
How does one "prove" one's negativity so that it is valid to impose it? It's a serious question.

I've seen, and repaired thousands of Gibson guitars over the last four decades. Is that enough "personal experience"? In my youth, I thought they were the bee's knees.

I get that many people like the brand name, the history, the culture, the sound, the aesthetics and playability of Gibson guitars. That's great. I get that many people feel the same way about Martin guitars, who has similar brand-recognition, history, culture... That's great too. Many are willing to overlook shortcomings in order to partake in that. I try not to go into the specifics of that on either brand so as not to be seen as being a "insert-brand-here hater", that is, one who finds objective issues with aspects of their products.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
One thing about Taylor...like or dislike them, you’ll hardly ever find one with anything but a perfect build.
True, but I have owned and seen many Taylors with clouded and/or delamination of the finish itself. In my case, since I was not the original owner, Taylor did offer to refinish the body of the guitar at their factory, but the cost including the shipping costs would be on me, as I expected it would be.

I still own a Taylor 555 12 String (Hog/Sitka) from the mid 90's with no finish issues and consider it to be the best 12 string I have ever owned.

Tommy
Old 04-01-2021, 01:48 PM

I once owned a beautiful looking and sounding J-185. Probably the best guitar I'd possessed in my lifetime. However, knowing the reputation that Gibson has online for poor quality, I decided not to trust my eyes and ears and sold the guitar.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:16 PM

After just over 5 months of ownership I can honestly say the 'orange peel' Gibson SJ-200 I waited 50 years to buy and 8 months to be delivered sounds absolutely amazing.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
After just over 5 months of ownership I can honestly say the 'orange peel' Gibson SJ-200 I waited 50 years to buy and 8 months to be delivered sounds absolutely amazing.

That sure is a beautiful guitar Bruce. Something to behold! And I bet t sounds amazing. What do you have planned for the next 50 year anniversary?
Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcstokes59 View Post
"I take it you have little kids around the house."

yes I do. All of the guitars are on wall hangers out of the reach of small hands. I guess I could always case them, but I find I play/practice more if they are readily accessible.
Oh, it had nothing to do with the wall hangers:

Old 04-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

I love it every time you post pics of this beauty, Bruce. Such a sweet guitar. I can practically hear it.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I love it every time you post pics of this beauty, Bruce. Such a sweet guitar. I can practically hear it.
Thanks Rev Roy, I play it every day and I swear I can feel it getting more responsive every time I play it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 04-01-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:23 PM

My 2020 Southern Jumbo Original looks amazing and sounds just wonderful. Sound and beauty are very subjective. I can see why there is such a large difference of opinions.
Bose L1 Model 2 W/Two B1's
Bose S1 Pro
TC Helicon Play Acoustic
TC Electronic Ditto X2 Looper
TC Electronic Spark Mini Booster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion