The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2021, 07:52 PM

Default Gibson Quality These Days?

Hey, All —

Just wondering what people think of the Gibson acoustics being built lately. I’ve owned many Bozeman era Gibsons over the years — some great, some not so great — but have no experience with the company’s post-bankruptcy workmanship.

Thanks.

Alan

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-29-2021 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Fixed title typo for you
Old 03-29-2021, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Bought two, an SJ200 and J35, both of which arrived in perfect condition. I wouldn't trade either for my Taylor 717 or my Breedlove Oregon concerto.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:53 PM

I have a Historic 1957 SJ-200 that is just 5 months old.
The only thing I found disappointing was the truss rod cover - made of black plastic on white plastic - the black was poorly cut with very rough edges.

The dealer I bought the guitar from replaced it with a nice one, no problem.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-29-2021, 09:51 PM

Bought a 2019 J-45 standard. Perfect not really but it has that growl.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:53 PM

I bought a J-45 Studio Rosewood last year. Excellent fit and finish. The only thing I could complain about was a trace of polishing compound stuck to the top edge of the fretboard where it joins the body. It cleaned off easily enough. The important thing is the sound: absolutely gorgeous.
Alvarez-Yairi FYM66HD
Gibson J-45 50s
Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I swapped out the tuners on my 2016 J-45 and apparently just hand tightening the tuner posts was too much for the finish... Notice the finish bubbles near each tuner post except for the 2nd string. It plays and sounds great so no big deal, its not going anywhere.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Gibson 50's J-50 Original

I don't have vast experience with Gibson but I am more than pleased with 2020 J-50 I bought. I would rate the guitar A+ on fit, finish and of course the tone. Absolutely no complaints.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:19 PM

I have a J-45 that is a few years old. It sounds fantastic. No complaints.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I have a Historic 1957 SJ-200 that is just 5 months old.
The only thing I found disappointing was the truss rod cover

I find it interesting that you found the truss rod cover disappointing but the quality of the finish right next to it was not. The pebble-grained surface texture of the finish on the head next to the truss rod cover isn't what one expects as a "quality" high-gloss finish. As an example compare the surface texture on the head of your guitar with that of TBman's.

If it doesn't disappoint you, that's great. I just found it interesting.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 PM
Runaway Tomato

A little over a year ago I went to GC to buy a J-45 that was there. I've been a Gibsonholic for decades. Before I handed over the money, I decided to play a Martin D28 and a Taylor 814ce DLX in the room. I went home with the Taylor - and the competition wasn't even close. My impression of the newer Gibsons is meh. I was disappointed, especially after owning so many through the years.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 03-29-2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I find it interesting that you found the truss rod cover disappointing but the quality of the finish right next to it was not. The pebble-grained surface texture of the finish on the head next to the truss rod cover isn't what one expects as a "quality" high-gloss finish. As an example compare the surface texture on the head of your guitar with that of TBman's.

If it doesn't disappoint you, that's great. I just found it interesting.
Charles the 2020 Custom Shop Historic series doesn't come with a high-gloss finish - the whole guitar has that pebble-grained texture as a result of the 'thin finish Nitro - VOS' as listed in the specifications. https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMT3...ntage-Sunburst
I believe Gibson only give this series 4 coats of varnish compared to the usual 9.
I love the more common quality high gloss finish usually seen on SJ-200's (and TBman's J-45) but if this thin finish is one of the contributing factors to why this guitar sounds as incredible as it does .. I can live with it!

p.s. When this series was on display at NAMM 2020 a visitor was overheard commenting, "Where did Gibson find all these old guitars in such beautiful condition?"

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-30-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:43 AM

My experience with Gibson over the years has been 'interesting'. In terms of build quality some notable clunkers i owned were a much-anticipated SJ200 which arrived with a back strip offset diagonally by at least 1/4", and a deeply disappointing screen-printed pickguard which, in my opinion, cheapened an expensive guitar (the original pickguards were engraved), and whose floral design wore off within weeks.
A J35 sounded thin and underwhelming to me, and a CJ165 was really quite bland and characterless.
The outstanding gems were a sadly long-gone Advanced Jumbo which was the best guitar I ever heard, and a J185 Koa Custom which was very sweet.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:07 AM

I have a 2017 J45. It’s excellent in every aspect.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-30-2021, 06:17 AM

I bought a Historic Advanced Jumbo when they were first released. It’s custom shop level so it’s better quality from the standard line to begin with. However, I think it is the best Gibson acoustic I have played. I have wanted an AJ for a long time but the previous production ones just lacked a lot of what I was looking for. But the historic line is hands down amazing. The neck is chunky and a slight v, incredibly comfortable, the finish is very thin and being kind of matte it feels very smooth and not sticky (only playing it for a handful of months I’ve already burned through the finish near the pickguard from strumming which I personally love the look of), all hide glue construction, torrified top really gives that old Gibson sound, the distinct growl. Incredibly well balanced between bass, miss, and trebles, I really can’t think of a bad thing to say about it. It’s honestly the Gibson acoustic I’ve been searching for since I began playing.

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 03-30-2021, 07:02 AM

Default A thin disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Charles the 2020 Custom Shop Historic series doesn't come with a high-gloss finish - the whole guitar has that pebble-grained texture as a result of the 'thin finish Nitro - VOS' as listed in the specifications. https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/ACCMT3...ntage-Sunburst
I believe Gibson only give this series 4 coats of varnish compared to the usual 9.
If that finish works for you at it was their intent to do it that way to add to the "vintage vibe", that's great. I also have no opinion on Gibsons.

Nice guitar, replicates the look of one 50 years old. However, orange peel is orange peel. My Furch RedPlus also has a micro-thin finish and it is flawlessly smooth. Lacquer (not varnish) normally is applied with many coats, sanded in between, to create a final layer that is mirror smooth. My guess is that Gibson did not want to put in the work to prep that surface for the mere four coats of lacquer and were afraid of burning through the finish in doing the normal sanding and polishing to get to the right final surface.
Furch Gc-CR Red

ELECTRICS
Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 reissue sunburst
Carvin Bolt
Stratocaster custom build
Schecter Stiletto 5-string bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion