The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Default right now, if all of us selling a Collings could get on the same page, we could take

over a full page in the classifieds-lol

really though. there is an amazing amount of various Collings available all of a sudden and its almost daily for the last week or two that another one or three is added. a lot of variation also in model, finish, color.

i've seen this sort of thing happen time and again with instruments over the years. all of a sudden there is a downpour of (insert your brand). see it with mandolins (high and low end), banjos, guitars.

i've also noticed that if there is a lot of talk regarding a certain brand, model, etc, all of a sudden two or three will appear in the classifieds(seen this especiall with mandolins and even more so with some very expensive hard to find mandos).

amazing time to be alive and playing instruments, anything you want you can find within a day usually. there's a very specific banjo i've been thinking about and its been sold out for 2 years, reaching out a little i have uncovered two of them, new, and with a reasonable cost. internet is amazing.

d
Old 09-08-2022, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
over a full page in the classifieds-lol

really though. there is an amazing amount of various Collings available all of a sudden and its almost daily for the last week or two that another one or three is added. a lot of variation also in model, finish, color.

i've seen this sort of thing happen time and again with instruments over the years. all of a sudden there is a downpour of (insert your brand). see it with mandolins (high and low end), banjos, guitars.

i've also noticed that if there is a lot of talk regarding a certain brand, model, etc, all of a sudden two or three will appear in the classifieds(seen this especiall with mandolins and even more so with some very expensive hard to find mandos).

amazing time to be alive and playing instruments, anything you want you can find within a day usually. there's a very specific banjo i've been thinking about and its been sold out for 2 years, reaching out a little i have uncovered two of them, new, and with a reasonable cost. internet is amazing.

d
There's both a D1-ATS and D2H-ATS listed that look like monster guitars. Nice to see the market a little more sane these days. Happy Collings hunting!
Old 09-08-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I think there is a lull right now, Daryl. Come October/November things will get tighter in terms of inventories.

I sold two mandolins a few weeks back and neither lasted a week. Both sold for over what I had in them too.

But, I will say this, the banjo market has slowed.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

As a Collings dealer, we totally agree about the "Great Magnet" effect that is surrounding that brand these days. Like the OP said, there will be waves of everyone looking to buy one or sell one at the same time!

More often than that, multiple people descend on the same instrument at the same time. Happens most often with Collings!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 09-08-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I recall putting my '46 j45 in the classifieds and within 4 days there were 2 more '46 j45s in the classifieds.

There have been a few "why is everyone selling their -------" threads over the years. Sometimes they just land in bunches.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 09-08-2022, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I recall putting my '46 j45 in the classifieds and within 4 days there were 2 more '46 j45s in the classifieds.

There have been a few "why is everyone selling their -------" threads over the years. Sometimes they just land in bunches.
Yes, and poof, they are all gone. It’s consumer buying behavior. The power of suggestion.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I think people see something and think, I can get THAT much for my guitar? Heck, I haven't played it in months.

I agree, things come in bunches, and a reasonable price will make them disappear from the listings. The supply trickle helps too. When your dealer hasn't had a D 1A the last few times you've been in, you are more likely to buy used.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-08-2022, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Mr Paul… you had a 46 J45?

I SO wonder what it sounded like…
Old 09-08-2022, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

…all I know is that the sweet custom sunburst 00 JL that resided very briefly in the classifieds a few days ago generated desire….
Old 09-08-2022, 07:32 PM
Charter Member

I hope to have one of those Collings in my little stable one of these days....
Old 09-08-2022, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

I’ve noticed many a time that I started up a piece of lawn equipment or chain saw on a relatively quiet morning or afternoon and the next thing I know is the neighborhood is literally abuzz with mowing, trimming, pruning and what have you.

Power of suggestion, indeed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion