The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2022, 08:36 PM

Default Did my ANNUAL String Changes! Now I'm Tired...

I use Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Lights on all of my acoustics.

The amazing thing about Elixir's is that they last forever. I play my guitars regularly, and I generally only change the strings about once per year!

Anyway, I just spent a very long time changing the strings on 4 acoustics, an Epiphone J-200, Gibson G-45, Taylor 814ce and a Martin X1-DE.

Do you like Elixir's? It's the only acoustic strings I've used over the last 15 years or so.

Also, now I'm very tired! I've never changed 4 different guitars' strings in a row like that. Exhausting!
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 03-07-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I use Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Lights on all of my acoustics. The amazing thing about Elixir's is that they last forever.
Then why change 'em?
Quote:
I play my guitars regularly, and I generally only change the strings about once per year!
That will certainly keep costs down.
Quote:
Anyway, I just spent a very long time changing the strings on 4 acoustics... now I'm very tired! I've never changed 4 different guitars' strings in a row like that. Exhausting!
In the future, you could restring one guitar at the beginning of every quarter, rather than all at once. Jan 1, April 1, July 1, October 1! It would take less energy, and you'd always have a guitar with new(ish) strings.

Good luck, get plenty of rest.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:41 PM

I think it is best to restring one guitar at a time. Not all at once. It shouldn't become a chore just the right thing to do at any given time. If you have a #1 start there. But then spend time with each guitar when you are in the mood. One at a given time means you can pay attention to it and as you strip the old strings and spend some time cleaning her up you may become just a little more intimate with her and remember why she is in your stable. You love them and they are not a chore to have around!
Old 03-08-2022, 04:08 AM

I tend to try not to do them all at one time for just that reason, but sometimes I just get on a roll ;-)

Various stringed instruments
Old 03-08-2022, 05:08 AM

I've never changed them all at once but typically they all get changed within a month or two.

I use D'Addario XS these days

Last a very long time without the annoying shredding that I have happen with Elixir strings

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-08-2022, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Then why change 'em?

In the future, you could restring one guitar at the beginning of every quarter, rather than all at once. Jan 1, April 1, July 1, October 1! It would take less energy, and you'd always have a guitar with new(ish) strings.

Good luck, get plenty of rest.
Post of the Month!!!

Seriously, I've used lots Elixirs over the years, better than other coated strings for me. But they don't last forever in my dreads. I just switched a couple over to XS strings, prefer the Elixirs. I also use Sunbeams, Silk n Steel, Lifespan, etc depending on the guitar. But don't go by my opinion, after 45 years I'm still looking for the holy grail of strings.

Last edited by brancher; 03-08-2022 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:25 AM

Is it a part of your Spring Cleaning routine?
Old 03-08-2022, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Elixir Nanoweb lights for me too. At one time I went off looking for the best string a while but decided the Elixirs were doing the job fine.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-08-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
I use Elixir Phosphor Bronze Nanoweb Lights on all of my acoustics.

The amazing thing about Elixir's is that they last forever. I play my guitars regularly, and I generally only change the strings about once per year!

Anyway, I just spent a very long time changing the strings on 4 acoustics, an Epiphone J-200, Gibson G-45, Taylor 814ce and a Martin X1-DE.

Do you like Elixir's? It's the only acoustic strings I've used over the last 15 years or so.

Also, now I'm very tired! I've never changed 4 different guitars' strings in a row like that. Exhausting!
No strings last forever. A year is too long even for Elixirs so, for part of the year, your guitars are sounding less than stellar. If a guitar doesn't sound great, I'm less inclined to pick it up and play. Your method would be discouraging to me.

You've been using the same strings on all your guitars for 15 years. You've never bothered experimenting with different string sets to see which make your guitar sound best? I go through a lot of sets with every new acoustic to determine what sounds best. Each guitar is different and there's no single set of strings that is going to be the best choice for every guitar once you own more than a few.

Elixirs have never been a favorite of mine. They do last a longer than other strings but tonally they have never won out over other sets I've used. There was a time I'd use them as practice strings because of their longevity and then put on the strings I think sound best on the guitar when playing out or recording. I've stopped doing even that. I'd rather change strings more often and have a guitar with a tone that inspires me.

You're not alone in this personal philosophy of spending a lot of money on guitars but cheaping out on strings. It's not for me but to each their own.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-08-2022, 08:04 AM

Did my ANNUAL String Changes! Now I'm Tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
I think it is best to restring one guitar at a time. Not all at once. It shouldn't become a chore just the right thing to do at any given time.

Probably the best way. Relax and take some time with it. Unless it's your job, it shouldn't be work. Listen to some of your favorite music playing in the background.

And yes, I like Elixirs too, especially the PB HD Light gauge, .013 - .053 , which go on most of my six stringers. Been playing over 55 years, tried most brands, and settled on Elixirs. I fingerpick everything using my nails as picks.

Edit => Please see this other current thread ("how often do you change the strings?":

"https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641769"

That thread will provide a lot of ideas on what other people do for string changes. (I am poster #22 on that thread.)

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 03-08-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I use D'Addario XS these days

Last a very long time without the annoying shredding that I have happen with Elixir strings
I've had the same experience with D'Addario EXP strings, and more recently the XT strings. They last for months. I keep a record of when I change strings and which strings I am using. I try to change my strings regularly, but in some cases they have gone 10-12 months before changing... and still sounded good. I have a couple of sets of XS strings on deck and am anxious to install them, but the way the D'Addario strings last, it may be a while.

I often change strings on all of my guitars at the same time, or within a couple of days of each other. I find the string changes and periodic maintenance kind of therapeutic. I use string changes as an excuse to give my guitars, especially the fretboard, a good cleaning.
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 03-08-2022, 08:34 AM

Not a fan of coated strings. I don’t mind doing string changes.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

My cue for changing nanos is the spanish moss hanging over the soundhole.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 03-08-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
I've had the same experience with D'Addario EXP strings, and more recently the XT strings. They last for months. I keep a record of when I change strings and which strings I am using. I try to change my strings regularly, but in some cases they have gone 10-12 months before changing... and still sounded good. I have a couple of sets of XS strings on deck and am anxious to install them, but the way the D'Addario strings last, it may be a while.

I often change strings on all of my guitars at the same time, or within a couple of days of each other. I find the string changes and periodic maintenance kind of therapeutic. I use string changes as an excuse to give my guitars, especially the fretboard, a good cleaning.
I have a few acoustics, so not any single one is getting use every day,

I can easily get 4 or 5 months out of a set of XS strings, and my last change on my J200 those were only a few days shy of 6 months on. They still looked pretty good, and sounded fine. CRAZY!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-08-2022, 11:12 AM

I change strings when I realize I don’t play as well as someone my age should.
But, I still want to feel like I am involved……
But I AM getting better at changing strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion