The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Used Cordoba vs Kremona?

From online reviews/videos I think I'd really like the Cordoba C10 for my first classical. BUT, I cant find any stores near me that have one to try (tried HaightAshbury, GC and GuitarShowcase (SF+)).

I did find a nice Kremona Fiesta FC in the same wood combination that seemed good.

The big question: there are 2 used ones that could work for~$600 which is my preferred budget. Should I go with the used version of the one I thought was fine or chance the slightly cheaper Cordoba!?!?!

https://reverb.com/item/2937943-cord...-free-humicase

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/msg/5791567325.html
Lowden S-50W
Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 PM

You've played that Kremona? Played any Cordobas? 'Slightly cheaper' says that money is not the issue here. If the Cordoba gets you juiced, even if it's just the idea of it, then I'd push for that.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Played any Cordobas?
I can't find any in stock in the bay area.

I don't want to think they're better just because they're so much more prevalent. Hoping someone has a side by side comparison.
Lowden S-50W
Old 10-18-2016, 11:27 PM

You are looking at two models that are pretty much equivalent in terms of overall quality. They are by different makers with different histories and means of production, and some different specs. I've played both, owned the Fiesta because I liked it better.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 PM

Ps - you should call guitar solo in SF and see what guitars they have in your price range and/or if they have the c10. I don't think they put all of the guitars they have in stock on ther website.

I have no affiliation with the store or its owners.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip. I went to G.S. but they didn't have any Cordobas and what I did like was fancy and in the 2k+ range!

As I'm ready to start learning asap I went ahead and pulled the plug on a refurbished C10... now I just have to wait impatiently for it to be shipped to me, ha ha!
Lowden S-50W
Old 10-25-2016, 05:18 PM

I have a Cordoba Fusion 12 in maple. Love it. Should have bought one years ago. Before I did I went out to try as many as I could in my price range, (about the same as yours). This took about two months of trial. I am fortunate to have lots of stores near me to choose from. I found in that price range the Cordoba had the nicest fit and finish and tone. I did have to file a few rough frets, nothing a 15 dollar tool from Stewmac couldn't fix, but that was about it. Ask GC to get one in the store for you. If you dont like it they will just put it up on the wall.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I have a Cordoba Fusion 12 in maple. Love it. Should have bought one years ago. Before I did I went out to try as many as I could in my price range, (about the same as yours). This took about two months of trial. I am fortunate to have lots of stores near me to choose from. I found in that price range the Cordoba had the nicest fit and finish and tone. I did have to file a few rough frets, nothing a 15 dollar tool from Stewmac couldn't fix, but that was about it. Ask GC to get one in the store for you. If you dont like it they will just put it up on the wall.

Doesn't surprise me at all. That's why I've owned ten Cordobas and toot my horn about them to anyone who'll listen. I've never played a Kremona admittedly. But the fact that I keep coming back to Cordoba over and over when looking for another instrument pretty much says it all. I've played and owned many different sub-$2K classicals from many makers (Kremona notwithstanding) and have yet to play one that impresses me as much as my Cordobas have. Which is why I've been so loyal to them. Most of the ones that I've had were not flawless... but I wouldn't expect a factory-produced guitar to be flawless. A few however have been pretty flawless. And even with the ones that weren't, they were still very satisfying guitars to own and play.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoto View Post
Thanks for the tip. I went to G.S. but they didn't have any Cordobas and what I did like was fancy and in the 2k+ range!

As I'm ready to start learning asap I went ahead and pulled the plug on a refurbished C10... now I just have to wait impatiently for it to be shipped to me, ha ha!

Yep, GS has quite a number of $$$ guitars that are nice. I experienced the same phenomenon when I went there as you while on a serious hunt. Walked out of there with more of an education but no guitar.

How are you liking your C10?
Old 10-27-2016, 07:25 AM

I really like my C10 crossover, but it is collecting dust these days.. My GK Pro Negra is in constant use.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 10-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I really like my C10 crossover, but it is collecting dust these days.. My GK Pro Negra is in constant use.
Yeah, my GK Pros (both blancas) are my favorite nylon strung guitars that I've ever owned... out of a couple dozen nylons. The reason I bought the second one is that I stupidly sold the first one. Didn't want to, but I had stopped playing acoustic for a while and was selling off my "herd" of four Cordobas. I wanted to keep just one of them, in case I got back into the acoustic and I wanted it to be the GK Pro. A guy came to look at my herd and of course, he fell in love with the GK Pro (he also later bought the GK Studio). He finally made me an offer that I couldn't refuse and I ended-up keeping just my FCWE instead. Fast-forward to this year... I'd collected another herd of Cordobas and was just culling it a bit. I sold my FCWE and bought another GK Pro blanca. It was every bit as good as the first. I won't be selling this one. In fact, I may go ahead and pick up a negra to try at some point. I'm more about snappy, raspy flamenco tone than classical mellowness these days, but I suspect that I'd still love the negra.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabeceabe View Post
How are you liking your C10?
So far so good, it sounds great!
I start private lessons tomorrow!
Lowden S-50W
Old 11-03-2016, 07:42 AM

Glad to hear you are liking it! Have fun with the lessons 😄
Old 11-03-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMoto View Post

Hi JMoto, You made the right choice. The C10 is an excellent guitar. I have one
and am very happy with it. The Kremona is also good but the Cordoba has the
advantage of a truss rod that comes in handy when setting the proper releif
during set-up. Enjoy it
Regards
Norman2
PS: Also the Cordoba C10 has an ebony fingerboard and Kremona a Rosewood Fingerboard

Last edited by Norman2; 11-03-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 02-29-2024, 11:12 AM

Have had the C10 for 3 weeks. Pleasant sound, wish I could play to bring the best of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical