The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-21-2024, 10:58 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Strings good out of the box

Found a set:

Savarez Alliance Cantiga 510AR

After a two day stretch period these sound really good on my lattice braced Cordoba C12 (spruce/rosewood).

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-23-2024, 11:00 AM

I’m looking to buy some strings and a set of Diamond Bridge Beads for my C10 Crossover.

Being new to nylon strung guitars, the many choices of strings and tensions is mind boggling!

Maybe I’ll try a set of the Savarez Alliance Cantiga 510 AR you posted above.

I assume these are “regular” tension as opposed to the “high tension” strings that come on the Cordoba?

Is there much difference between the two tensions tonally, or, simply easier on the fingers?

I don’t seem to have any physical issues with the HT.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I’m looking to buy some strings and a set of Diamond Bridge Beads for my C10 Crossover.

Being new to nylon strung guitars, the many choices of strings and tensions is mind boggling!

Maybe I’ll try a set of the Savarez Alliance Cantiga 510 AR you posted above.

I assume these are “regular” tension as opposed to the “high tension” strings that come on the Cordoba?

Is there much difference between the two tensions tonally, or, simply easier on the fingers?

I don’t seem to have any physical issues with the HT.
Just be aware that moving from high tension nylon trebles, as the Savarez 500CJ was shipped with and thus intonated for, to mid tension carbon trebles as the Cantina 510AR mentioned might lead to intonation issues.

I am deep down that string testing rabbit hole myself, so I am not saying you shouldn't, just something to keep in mind.

Also, I'd recommend against those diamond beads. It's easier to just tie, once you learn how to do it properly. Just IME/IMO.

Martin OM-28V
Yamaha FSX3
Godin Arena Pro CW Bourbon Burst
Manuel Rodriguez Magistral D-C
EBS Stanley Clarke Sig. Acoustic Pre
Alto TX210 powered speaker
Old 03-23-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-string View Post
Just be aware that moving from high tension nylon trebles, as the Savarez 500CJ was shipped with and thus intonated for, to mid tension carbon trebles as the Cantina 510AR mentioned might lead to intonation issues.

I am deep down that string testing rabbit hole myself, so I am not saying you shouldn't, just something to keep in mind.

Also, I'd recommend against those diamond beads. It's easier to just tie, once you learn how to do it properly. Just IME/IMO.

Thank you for the heads up!
Old 03-23-2024, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

In my opinion the Diamond ties are worth trying. They aren't expensive, and I have less problems with the E1 slipping - especially true of the carbon trebles which are very slippery. Also should be break a string at the bridge, less chance of the recoil putting a dent in the top which I have had happen. Finally, less damage to the bridge by the string knot digging into it.

I've tried the Savarez Alliance Cantiga, and have found I like the Knobloch Actives CX carbon better, for a little "woodeir" tone. Available in 3 tensions to suit preference.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
In my opinion the Diamond ties are worth trying. They aren't expensive, and I have less problems with the E1 slipping - especially true of the carbon trebles which are very slippery. Also should be break a string at the bridge, less chance of the recoil putting a dent in the top which I have had happen. Finally, less damage to the bridge by the string knot digging into it.

I've tried the Savarez Alliance Cantiga, and have found I like the Knobloch Actives CX carbon better, for a little "woodeir" tone. Available in 3 tensions to suit preference.

Thank you for your suggestions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical