The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KESTLY View Post
Don't do it Wellington...it's a trap!!!
Lol! It just might be
Old 02-21-2022, 05:15 PM

I've just bought a Fender CC 60S mahogany version, reasonable price for a solid top. I really don't like buying guitars online but have no choice at the moment.

I have no real expectations so if it doesn't play well, it'll be returned.

It's arriving on Thursday so I'll let you know...
Old 02-21-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
I read this post with interest because I was recently thinking about this: with the nice lines of acoustic guitars that FMIC has owned in the past, namely Guild, Tacoma, and to a lesser degree, Ovation, you'd think that with all of that experience they could have jumped into the fray with an outstanding, or at least decent line of acoustic guitars. Yet their guitars seem to wallow in the world of cheap, entry level/beginner Chinese guitars. I'm sure that they serve the intended purpose, and probably sell quite a few of them through Costco.
The fenders they built in the Guild factory in New Hartford were good by most accounts. These were branded "Fender" but built by the same people who were building Guilds right alongside them. Did not sell a lot of them, though.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I’m thrilled to see Fender revisiting the Paramount line of acoustics again!
Sitka/Mahogany or all Mahogany with a beautifully updated
Rosette and Purfling design and delicate snowflake fret markers. The MOP headstock logo and hat pin remain with the bound headstock shape from the previous releases a few years ago. Also the high quality, heavy duty hard shell case is still included in the price. I can’t wait to play an OM model.

All that bling turns me right off. I would prefer that they put their time and money into things that would make for good sound.
Old 02-21-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I’m not going to gush about how wonderful, perfect or unique Fender’s acoustic guitars are, because honestly, they are not. But what they are they excel at. They are, at their lowest price point, budget instruments, relatively easy to play and sound acceptable to people that aren’t guitar snobs.

When you get out of the least expensive offerings and migrate to the price point where hundreds of models reside, their guitars are no better or worse than the competition. They are average instruments, very much playable and usable to the majority of the guitar playing population, especially beginners. They aren’t made for people that dissect every grain line in their guitar’s sound board, or measure the binding is the same width all over the back of the guitar, or stick cameras into sound holes to look at glue drips.

Stop picking this scab. If you don’t like Fender acoustic guitars that’s OK, but don’t poo poo every single one of them for the rest of the population. They do in fact make some terrific acoustics. They make acoustics with thin and fast necks the young and small handed kids can actually play. You know, the guitar you would have killed for when you first started, instead of the baseball bat with strings an inch off the deck. Sorry for the rant, but I truly believe this about Fender Acoustics.

I agree, and since you ranted it, I'll second the sentiment. My first Fender acoustic I received as a gift for Xmas, the 230CE seen here. I found the neck to be as playable as my electrics, the action was low out of the box, and I still rip on that thing 30+ years later. To this day, never did a set up on it, only ever replaced one of the tuners. Haters gonna hate, but Fender knows how to make acoustics, y'all just like to bash for the sake of bashing. I'd say those new Paramounts look alright, and would be a sweet first guitar.
1998 Guild F4ce
2005 Guild D55

Last edited by Boneman; 10-19-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:34 PM

I actually have been looking at a fender Tim Armstrong hellcat. For the money it is actually a fun guitar to play. Would make a very nice couch guitar. Solid mahogany top laminate back and sides and concert size.

Believe it or not, I ended up blowing up the budget and spending twice as much as what the fender would’ve cost me and bought a 1999 Martin Road Series DM instead. First Dreadnought for me. We will see how that goes and if it was the right decision and I get it in a week. I did sort of want to a Made in USA guitar.
Old 02-22-2022, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
I actually have been looking at a fender Tim Armstrong hellcat. For the money it is actually a fun guitar to play. Would make a very nice couch guitar. Solid mahogany top laminate back and sides and concert size.

Believe it or not, I ended up blowing up the budget and spending twice as much as what the fender would’ve cost me and bought a 1999 Martin Road Series DM instead. First Dreadnought for me. We will see how that goes and if it was the right decision and I get it in a week. I did sort of want to a Made in USA guitar.
Congrats! I'd love to hear your review of that Martin!
Old 02-23-2022, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
I have a 1996 DM, bought it used only last spring, but just love my DM, man what a great guitar. I think if yours is in good shape you’ll feel similar.
1998 Guild F4ce
2005 Guild D55
Old 02-23-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
Congrats! I'd love to hear your review of that Martin!
Thanks! Should be getting it on 3/1. Looking forward to it. I’ll let you once I have it for a day or two.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
I have a 1996 DM, bought it used only last spring, but just love my DM, man what a great guitar. I think if yours is in good shape you’ll feel similar.
I am told the guitar is in good shape, with a few nicks and dings. I would expect that from a 23-year-old guitar. Once I get it I will take it to my guitar guy and have him put some new strings on it, do a set up and give it a thorough once over. He is excellent and he will let me know of any flaws I should be aware of.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:21 AM

I bought the fender cd140sce.....trapped inside our current situation and unable to easily travel to Austin or San Anton, I bought a fender cd140sce from eusica, the biggest online store in mex. I was comparing it with a gretsch rancher. In mexico there's not much choice unless you want to pay 50% over retail for a Martin. The online reviews lead me to believe the fender was better than the rancher, acoustically speaking. I was disappointed, but it is what it is. Eusica advertises that it sets up every guitar it sells, and shows off it's taller/workshop online. But mine arrived with the high e out of the nutslot, and tuned...so well, they couldn't have set it up. I've got a replacement saddle to lower the action, but it played ok out of the case. Still looking for strings that might make a difference. Bought some martin retros but haven't strung them yet. The originals were too heavy, and the elixir replacements were poor off of amazon. Not even sure they aren't pirated strings to tell the truth. The guitar itself seems well made. the electronics work as required and I never use them unless I'm running it thru reguitar . It sounds good recorded thru reguitar. The guitars problem is ...it's not a strummer at all. My style is a combination of picking and strumming and I've got to lay way back. In fact less is more. It's kinda of teaching me how 'less is more', and that's a good thing. But if I lay into it, it turns to mud. No note distinction whatsoever. But it sounds nice when picked softly, with distinct notes, and that's just it's limitation. For $370 it is what it is....until I can travel back to texas and get a real acoustic that I play before I buy. It's definitely better than my old takamine f349, which is all laminated. I don't think I'm interested in anymore fender acoustics even though the new high enders look pretty. Maybe I might get a fg yamaha next ....they're relatively inexpensive here in mex...used. We'll see.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M, Enya X4pm
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 02-23-2022, 05:13 PM

I have a Fender CN-60S. I play mine a lot and enjoy owning it.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

I Love my Fender CD60 from late 80s. it is one of the best guitars i have owned in the last 30 years anyway. why? its a rock, nothing on it has ever budged a mm in that time, holds its tuning very well even with "cheap" machine heads. excellent action all the way up the neck. sounds fairly well for what it is, not spectacular and i have others with better sustain/tone/warmth, projection/etc etc etc, but i have had and sold a ton of gits in the time that ive had this guitar, and I highly doubt i will ever sell or part with this beast of an acoustic. Now whether that cause i got "lucky" doesnt matter, the opposite can be said for other guitars. I had a J-45 that i couldn't stand and parted with it immediately. just like food we all have different likes and cravings, this cd60 is my comfort food

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion