The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 08:47 PM

Default Classical guitar for 14 YO girl

Looking for suggestions, since it's been many years since I looked into classical models at all, let alone budget items. A coworker's daughter will be taking guitar at her school and has been told she needs a "nylon string" instrument. Her parents are freaking a bit because there are too many other items to purchase for other classes, and want to keep the cost as low as possible. I did suggest that they ask family/friends if a usable guitar is available for her to borrow. But if purchase IS required, I think THEY were hoping $100 or so...I've hinted that at least $200+ would likely be needed; maybe they'd go as high as $300 but just not sure.

I know the options in the steel string acoustic realm, but what brand(s) are even out there in classical that aren't a total joke quality or tone-wise? I've volunteered to go with her mom to Guitar Center or Sam Ash sometime this week, but it would be good to have a short list before we head out.

BTW, I think we're talking standard size instruments. Haven't met the girl, but her mother indicates her hands aren't super small, so a smaller scale won't be needed, which would surely make the search that much harder.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Dirk
Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Cordoba makes excellent entry-level classicals, including a 7/8 size if the girl is petite. Yamaha as well.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Cordoba makes excellent entry-level classicals...Yamaha as well.
One of my students had this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...assical-guitar

A bit more expensive, but it's always been one of my favorites if she just needs "nylon-string" and not strictly "classical":

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/flame...lamenco-guitar
Old 08-31-2015, 09:43 PM

Personally I own the Yamaha cg172 sf listed above. Honestly it has become my go to guitar around the house. I have it hanging above the recliner and just grab it whenever I sit down.

I have played nylon string guitars that cost from $50-10,000, for the money, my opinion is that the Yamaha line does extremely well for what it is. A very nice guitar that once your playing ability exceeds the guitar you will know what you want next. The Yamaha will not be a guitar that holds back progress.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the input so far. Looks like the expected names are, in fact, the contenders in the low-price nylon string arena. Yamaha is kind of obvious, I admit, and I did already know about Cordoba (but was unaware of their lowest priced models).

Think I'll also call the smaller shops to see if they have any decent used models that might offer a bit more quality relative to the admittedly tiny budget.

Other input also welcome, by the way...

Dirk
Old 09-01-2015, 07:16 AM

Stop in at your local Guitar Center. I was looking the other day, and they have several low priced nylon string guitars. Don't remember the brand, but there were several for less than $200. Also check out craigslist. Occasionally excellent deals come up.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

And remember used is often as good as new for half off

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion