The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM

Default "Cue stick newb"

Been playing for about 40 years...and just bought my first acoustic...have owned a slew of LP's, Strats, PRS's, etc....and generally play blues, rock through a Marshall combo...strictly a "sit on the couch" player now...

Around 1968 or so my Mom got me an acoustic and i took about 3 lessons and figured i didn't really care how to play "Mary had a little lamb" so i put the guitar away...never to see that acoustic again...I'd heard that years later an uncle ran over it in the driveway...lol....not sure how it ended up in the driveway though....so i'm not really counting that guitar...

Been wanting to learn different playing styles...primarily finger picking so ive been scouring this forum for advice on a decent, inexpensive guitar...I'm 53 years old so maybe i'm beginning to mellow a bit....I ended up getting a Yamaha FG730S...just got it today in fact...

First impressions are, these strings hurt"!!!! I believe Yamaha puts 012-052 and they are a bit different than the .09's on my Strats...

Guitar is pretty nice out of the box...capo at the first and depressing the 14th measures .008 at the 7th fret...string height at the 12'th is approx. 2.5cm....intonation seems ok and no buzzing except for when my finger tips are being shredded!

Great forum and i've found quite a bit of info....now it's just gonna take a bit of time to get my fingertips in condition....what an uphill struggle this is gonna be but it's gonna be a fun one!

BTW, my buddies and I have been calling acoustics "cue sticks" for years...go figure...

Thanks and take care!

Last edited by rlouie; 02-26-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: no swearing in this forum
Old 02-26-2013, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Welcome Bnormal. I'm a veteran from the electric days, but I did play acoustic first, back in the "folk scare."

I'm willing to bet that your fingers toughen pretty quickly. I don't think of playing guitar as being that different when you switch from the axe to the cue stick.

However, you're gonna love the fact that the stuff you lug from place to place will be feather weight. Side bar: driveways are dangerous places for guitars. Ask any tech--you'll hear about many cases of crushed instruments. Reverse is a dangerous gear.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion