The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Default 914ce

I'm thinking of the 914CE. If it won't take too much of your time, I'm wondering

1. Any good with percussive fingerstyle?
2. I'm looking for warm and colorful (more on the sweet romance feel)
3. Is the ES still unreliable? (I wasn't very pleased with some I tested a while back)
4. Is it worth the money?

I am in love with its cosmetics though. Beautiful!

Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM

I have an 814ce which I love. Best electronics out there if you ask me. You get acutal acoustic tone without modding the sound. Mine is warm, sweet and bright all at once. After Taylor went to 9v years ago they didn't have any more electronics issues.

and way too many picks...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnglory View Post
I'm thinking of the 914CE. If it won't take too much of your time, I'm wondering

1. Any good with percussive fingerstyle?
2. I'm looking for warm and colorful (more on the sweet romance feel)
3. Is the ES still unreliable? (I wasn't very pleased with some I tested a while back)
4. Is it worth the money?

I am in love with its cosmetics though. Beautiful!

Thanks
If you are looking for warm and sweet I would go with a cedar top or redwood for the top.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM

well I am a big Taylor fan. I have owned a few( read too many) over the years and have played about every model available including LTDs. Great to have a top 10 in the nation Taylor dealer only 60 miles away that always have a HUGE stock of models on hand.

For some reason I just never bonded with the 900 series. Every time I play say a 814CE vs a 914CE I like the 814CE better. the 900s always seem stiff or a bit more sterile.

a good friend of mine just this past summer bought a 514CE. He is into fingerstyle alot. Blue fingerstyle-- pecussive etc. IMO you can beat that model for this and they also strum well. We both played 714CE against these and always came away liking the 514CE better. the cedar with rosewood just always seems too soft or muddy. the Hog and cedar are sweet!. The cedar has a warmer softer tone and the hog lets it be heard. the rosewood just makes it warmer and softer yet. something IMO cedar does not need.

as for the New ES. I love it. no issues and sounds better now than any previous version. they have a new board now too in them . I like them
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM

You guys had me all excited and I temporarily forgot about having to find one and test one out before making an order. Mr. Ink especially that's the exact tone I've always looked for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkedTaylor View Post
I have an 814ce which I love. Best electronics out there if you ask me. You get acutal acoustic tone without modding the sound. Mine is warm, sweet and bright all at once. After Taylor went to 9v years ago they didn't have any more electronics issues.
That's good to hear it was one thing that kept me away from Taylors and acoustics at that time. Thanks mate. Hmm I remember seeing a post of either an 814ce or a 914ce with TI strings on them and had a soundcloud link. Was that you? That was an enchanting sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarkoa599 View Post
If you are looking for warm and sweet I would go with a cedar top or redwood for the top.
I love adi! My last 2 were adis I was looking on the 914ce link though. I don't see an option for adi still browsing at the moment.

On a side note : Have you tried any Adi + Hawaiian Koa combo?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion