The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 AM

Default Gibson J-45 Questions

I need some advice here guys, 2 questions. I found a real sweet late 60's Gibson J-45 at a pawn shop. The problem is, I think it is priced too high. Searching on ebay shows some similar guitars but the price range varies from a lot lower than what this pawn shop is asking to within a couple hundred dollars of it. I know price discussions aren't allowed here, but could anyone who could give me a more of an idea of a fair price PM me about the situation?

My second question concerns the condition of the guitar. Their is a crack that runs from the bridge to the back of the top of the guitar. How much of an issue is a crack like this. Are these usually repairable? I know this is probably a harder question without seeing it, but any advice is appreciated.

This guitar is really just overwhelming. Its cherry red with an orange burst and just sounds better than any guitar I've ever played. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 AM

Default Pawn Shop

My opinion is if it's a pawn shop they probably have it priced a little high and would expect you to dicker. In the old days you could pick up deals but today I think they do their research online just like we do. Cracks in tops are usually repairable.
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar
Old 07-27-2009, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilyoungfan View Post
I need some advice......

This guitar is really just overwhelming. Its cherry red with an orange burst and just sounds better than any guitar I've ever played. Thanks a lot guys.
Sounds like you already made up your mind.....just look online at J45 pricing. Check out the guitar stores that sell vintage J45's. If you really, really, like this guitar and can afford it, you should buy it.

I have never met a J45 I didn't like....some were beyond description. I have been saving for a used 40's-early 50's for some time now.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

I'm with the c70man, nobody likes to overpay but if it's within your budget and you think it's that great sounding you don't want to overthink it. As yourself which of these two outcomes you woudl have have:

1) Let this guy soak your for a couple hundred extra bucks but you end up playing that J-45 every day for the next 20 years.

2) Keep that money in your pocket and hope to find another guitar you like that well one of these day.

Some people honestly would pick #2 because they can't stand the thought of someone getting "too much" money from them. But unless he's talking a total ripoff price most of us would be happier in situation #1, wouldn't we?
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 07-27-2009, 09:33 AM

Alot depends on the year of the J-45. Because of its association with Norlin and design changes like the square shoulders and long scale, a 1969 J-45 will be worth quite a bit less than a 1968.

If the guitar just has a cracked top, the repair is not a big deal. Since it is an older guitar, I would also check for bellying. While a bit of bellying down below the board and bellying up behind the bridge is normal and not necessarily a bad thing (the only old acoustics that do not exhibit this are probably really overbuilt) check and make sure it is not too extensive as this could also indicate repairs are needed to the bridge, blackplate, braces and what have you.

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Knowing the year would help. 68 last year for sloped shoulder. Middle of the 60's went to narrow neck. Wider neck early 60's worth more.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-27-2009, 08:36 PM

It's true that the shape (round or square shoulder), year and certainly condition are going to effect the price. But if it's in generally good shape, and priced at least within reason, I say go for it if you like it.

It's getting harder to find old Gibbies that you can actually play first before you buy. Now, you usually have to buy off the 'bay, and hope for the best.

I have an old 1950 beater J-45, ugly as all get-out, but I love the daylights out of it. I'm sure you'll love yours too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion