The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Would These Make a Good Pair?

I have mentioned I am looking for a good wood acoustic.
I am down to a few guitars.
- Martin 000-15M - sounds good, plays great, feels good, good for folk type music, good for almost anything really.

- Taylor DN3 - sounds good but a different good, plays great, feels good, seems like it would be good for bluegrass as I have seen some bluegrass guys using them.

Would these make a good pair to own one of each and then basically have almost all bases covered?

I may as well not kid myself, I don't see myself owning only 1 acoustic guitar, not now.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM

In my opinion Yes, this would be two good voicings, each nice in it's own way. You may also want to consider a smaller body guitar... 12-fret parlors (generally) have a sweetness for fingerstyle that my ears prefer... match that with a Dreadnaught for bluegrass... just another idea.

Suggestion... buy only one guitar to start with. Play it for 3 or 4 months, make sure you like it and will stay committed to practicing and learning. Get a 2nd guitar as a "Reward" to yourself for staying with it... by that time, you will also know much more than you do now, and you will better equipped to select an instrument. Either guitar you listed will work well for any kind of music.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-16-2013, 05:39 PM

The Taylor DN3 is really what I feel is a sleeper for Taylor. The DN3 will hold it's wait in Bluegrass jams and can when wanted to, be played loud to be heard over the Banjo's. I play in weekly Bluegrass jam sessions and the DN3 has competed against various other guitar brands and sounded as well if not better. The guitar holds it's wait. The DN3 can be played softly and adds a nice warmth. A Taylor DN3 is an all around great Dread that can play all types of music and hold it's own in a Bluegrass Jam. Not to mention flatpicking is truly fun on it and fingerpicking comfortable. The DN3 is alot of Dread/instrument for the money
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

I love both the guitars you mentioned.

One more for you to look at that is fairly inexpensive - the Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R (Rosewood). This is a remarkable guitar, no matter its price point. You should be able to get one for $500 also.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:56 PM

Sure. Only question is whether you want the 00-15 vs the 000-15.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
Sure. Only question is whether you want the 00-15 vs the 000-15.

JD
What is the difference between the 00 and 000?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion