The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 01:30 PM

Default In praise of the Faith Naked Venus acoustic

I bought one of these a while ago online, sight unseen. Mainly because of all the ones I played at my my local UK shop kept selling out and they all played consistently well. All solid wood. Ebony fretboard, Engelmann spruce top, solid Mahogany back and sides.
They're very lightly built but the action and intonation on these Faith guitars is off the scale. I didn't care so much for the more expensive gloss versions but the plain satin finished ones have an amazing clear crystalline tone to my ears. A total fingerpickers delight.
I sometimes think I should own a more expensive guitar and play the odd posh parlour at the shop, but nothing has come close yet in terms of playability and tone. Anyone else rocking a Faith Naked Series guitar which they like?
Old 11-12-2021, 05:22 PM

No Naked Faiths...yet! Agree on all counts on the craftsmanship and tone on Faith guitars, which is why I own three. I've got my eye out for a Venus 12-string when one comes available at a time I can get another guitar past the domestic bank manager.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I have both an FRSB45 and an FRMG, and I would imagine the naked series guitars are of equivalent impressive quality. I own several much much pricier and fancier schmancier guitars, but I truly feel that my Faiths can hold their own against any of them. As I think about it, I grab that 12 fret dread perhaps more than any other. These are a bit under the radar, but my perspective is that they are equivalent to the best U.S. factory guitars, of which I've owned dozens (and dozens).
Old 11-12-2021, 11:46 PM

Cool

I own the Faith Venus blood moon since March 2018. I think it’s one of Faith’s best selling guitars. Faith guitars are the best kept secret here in AGF but not among members who are from the UK, where Faith guitars are more readily available.

Enjoy your Faith naked venus! Happy playing & bonding!
Old 11-13-2021, 02:42 AM

I have the FRMG Mars (now discontinued), and the Naked Neptune. Both really fine instruments. The Neptune sounds like a loud, resonant and projecting OM on steroids and responds well to both fingerpicking and flatpicking. The Mars is more restrained, well-balanced and I'm sure would record well. I also owned the Mercury 'Classic Burst' parlour, but ultimately found the scale length too short for me. Great guitar otherwise.
Barnes and Mullins, Faith's distributor, also stock very nice Macassar ebony pickguards for the various Faith models. I got one for my Mars and it looks great, breaking up the considerable mahogany acreage. Not cheap though at £40.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-13-2021 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:09 AM

I have a Naked Mercury. It's amazingly loud for its size with a lovely clear tone if a little boxy. The only thing I'm not so keen on is the 43mm nut. I recently tried the Mercury Classic Burst which is the only model in the range with a 45mm nut along with an Alvarez parlour. I fully expected to walk out of the shop with one of them, but the tone on both compared to my Naked was very soft and muted. It probably had something to do with old strings, but new strings wouldn't have made enough difference so my Naked still sits in the corner.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:43 PM

What no picture?
Old 11-16-2021, 04:34 AM

I have Venus Hi Gloss from 11 years ago, and is still my main acoustic.

It does need abit of a setup now after all this time, but has been an incredibly well built and playing instrument.

Definately worth the money and more
Old 11-16-2021, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

I have a good frind who has the Faith Classic Burst FRESB45 Mars Slope Dreadnought Sunburst All Solid Electro Acoustic Guitar & Case

I had to copy that from a retailer, as the Faith website doesn't seem to work at present. (on Firefox or edge!)

This is a 12 fret jumbo style with a very pleasant burst on a cedar top.

They seen to be offering more basic stuff with a vastly reduced set of options. Sad.

I met Pat Eggle when they were making Eggles in the UK and later added the Asian made Faiths which seemed so good and at a far lesser price band so due to this and other issues, he stopped building acoustics and simply imported the Faiths.

I'm saddened to see that they seem to have reduced their build to the little Mercurys now.

Perhaps it is linked to the bigger issues with importing into the UK presently.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have a good frind who has the Faith Classic Burst FRESB45 Mars Slope Dreadnought Sunburst All Solid Electro Acoustic Guitar & Case

I had to copy that from a retailer, as the Faith website doesn't seem to work at present. (on Firefox or edge!)

This is a 12 fret jumbo style with a very pleasant burst on a cedar top.

They seen to be offering more basic stuff with a vastly reduced set of options. Sad.

I met Pat Eggle when they were making Eggles in the UK and later added the Asian made Faiths which seemed so good and at a far lesser price band so due to this and other issues, he stopped building acoustics and simply imported the Faiths.

I'm saddened to see that they seem to have reduced their build to the little Mercurys now.

Perhaps it is linked to the bigger issues with importing into the UK presently.
I don't know which site you're referencing Andy, but Faith are still offering many models, also with new variations...https://www.faithguitars.com/
PJE is also still practically involved with Faith..https://www.faithguitars.com/guitars...imited-edition

Last edited by AndrewG; 11-16-2021 at 07:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion