The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2013, 08:30 AM

I agree with what everyone else has said. Be persistent. They WILL deny your claim, no matter how obvious it is. This is standard practice. They know a certain percentage of people will just give up. It costs them nothing to keep saying no.

In my case, it was UPS and an iMac computer (the old CRT-based one). I double-boxed it, putting a layer of styrofoam peanut between the boxes. When they denied my claim, they said there wasn't adequate packing material between the two boxes. I told them there had been, but that most of it must have fallen out through the giant forklift shaped holes in the boxes! Yes, they drove a forklift through the boxes, leaving perfectly rectangular holes, crushing the computer. I told them I didn't own a forklift, so I assumed it was one of theirs that did the damage. Faced with that, they promptly paid up.

The only time I was involved in a claim that was immediately accecpted was when I shipped something (probably a computer, I don't remember), and the box was delivered full of water. The buyer told me that the delivery person actually reported the issue, so all I had to do was call up and reference the claim number. I got a check within days. I don't remember what delivery service I used that time. So it might be helpful to ask the delivery person if there's anything they can do to help expidite the claim.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Default USPS claim

In fact you CAN file the claim, as long as you have the tracking information. From the USPS site.

"What do you need to file a domestic claim?
1 - Label (or tracking) number found on your online label record, package label, Extra Service receipt, or sales slip.
Some article numbers are 22 alphanumeric characters beginning in a letter and ending in "US."
Example: 9205 5000 0000 0000 0000 00
If you don't see a number like that, look for a string of 20, 22, 26, 30, or 34 numbers.
2 - Proof of value, damage, replacement, or repair costs.
You’ll need to upload a .pdf or .jpeg of sales receipts or invoices.
If you received something damaged or items are missing from a package, please retain the contents you received and all the associated packing materials until your claim is settled. You may be asked to take them to your local Post Office™ for inspection later. Please do not reship the package.
3 -*Evidence of insurance and proof of purchase
If purchased online, use your Click-N-Ship® transaction number or the auction number (i.e., from eBay®).
If you shipped your package from a Post Office location, find your sales receipt or other proof to show the item was sent with insurance or Priority Mail Express™.
Start an Online Claim ›
How long does it take to get reimbursed?
When the necessary information and proof of value is provided online, claims are usually paid within 30 days.
How soon can you file a domestic claim?
For damaged or missing contents, we recommend filing a claim immediately, but you must file no later than 60 days from the date of mailing.
For lost articles, customers must file a claim within the time limits in the following chart…

See part two.
Martin HD-28, 2012-000CNylon
Taylor 310K
Taylor 214CE
Taylor 110
Larrivee D-05
FG-375S
FG-180 (5)
FG-300 (5)
FG-360
FG-350W
APX-10
FG160E
Woodsong K100,SW400
Paul Beard GRE
Many other Yamahas
(25 others- Garrison, Seagull, PRS, Squier 51, Dynamic)

BigMike sez:
I tried to be good, but there were just too many options.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 AM

I recently had to file a claim on a guitar shipped through USPS and the process was extremely smooth. (I was the buyer/ recipient of the instrument).

I wrote down everything and published it on my site this morning: http://cashmoneylife.com/how-to-file...aim-with-usps/

Basically, get a professional repair estimate from a certified repair shop (if it is totaled, get a letter stating the guitar is beyond repair). Upload that and a copy of your receipt, and submit those documents to USPS.

They will send you a letter stating that you will need to bring in the shipping container and all the packing material to a local Post Office. I also brought in the hard shell case and the guitar, but the USPS employees were only concerned with the outer box and the bubble wrap used to package the guitar (there were noticeable creases and dents in the outer shipping container; it looked like the guitar box was dropped on one corner). The USPS employees filled out some paperwork and it was done.

Overall, the process took a little less than a month, including time to schedule the estimate with the luthier, uploading and submitting documentation, and waiting for responses from the Post Office. They cut me a check for the repair costs and the cost of the shipping. I was honestly surprised at how well the process went. I hope it goes just as well for you.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_g View Post
I recently had to file a claim on a guitar shipped through USPS and the process was extremely smooth. (I was the buyer/ recipient of the instrument).

I wrote down everything and published it on my site this morning: http://cashmoneylife.com/how-to-file...aim-with-usps/

Basically, get a professional repair estimate from a certified repair shop (if it is totaled, get a letter stating the guitar is beyond repair). Upload that and a copy of your receipt, and submit those documents to USPS.

They will send you a letter stating that you will need to bring in the shipping container and all the packing material to a local Post Office. I also brought in the hard shell case and the guitar, but the USPS employees were only concerned with the outer box and the bubble wrap used to package the guitar (there were noticeable creases and dents in the outer shipping container; it looked like the guitar box was dropped on one corner). The USPS employees filled out some paperwork and it was done.

Overall, the process took a little less than a month, including time to schedule the estimate with the luthier, uploading and submitting documentation, and waiting for responses from the Post Office. They cut me a check for the repair costs and the cost of the shipping. I was honestly surprised at how well the process went. I hope it goes just as well for you.
That sounds good to me. I declared the value as $850 and paid the insurance
for that amount. So, I really don't see it as a big deal. I have detailed pics and I went to my local post office the day I got the guitar and showed them
the damage.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
That sounds good to me. I declared the value as $850 and paid the insurance
for that amount. So, I really don't see it as a big deal. I have detailed pics and I went to my local post office the day I got the guitar and showed them
the damage.
It sounds like you have done everything you can on your part. I hope your claim goes as smoothly as mine did. Even with all the documentation in order, I was honestly surprised at how easily it went through.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 AM

So, I wanted to update my USPS insurance claim experience. I filed my online claim on 10/1 and went through the steps of providing value info and payment info from my Pay pal statement. I was notified yesterday (by looking on the USPS site) that my claim was APPROVED!!!

Now, there were a couple road bumps in that 2+ months of waiting but all in all the process went relatively well.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The case also sustained damage and I have pictures of that as well. It was
definitely a case where someone at USPS had a bad day and just slammed something heavy on top of the guitar.

The Postal Service ships most packages on commercial airlines. Your guitar very well could have been damaged by a baggage handler, not a postal employee. I'm glad you got the issue resolved.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The Postal Service ships most packages on commercial airlines. Your guitar very well could have been damaged by a baggage handler, not a postal employee. I'm glad you got the issue resolved.
Hi,

Yeah, that's true. However, this guitar was sent Ground service so it never
reached the air
Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Legolas1971;3741550]Hi,

reached the air[/

Glad you got it refunded.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Airdale;3741565]
Quote:
Hi,

reached the air[/

Glad you got it refunded.
Yeah, I worked for UPS for 5 years when I was in High School and College. My mix up in terms. But I know that I paid for the lowest shipping method and the gtr was only coming from Ohio (I'm in MA) so I believe it was on a truck the whole way. It certainly took the maximum amount of time.

But either way; the guitar was damaged in transit (ground or air) and that's why I paid for the insurance for cases just like this....
Old 12-20-2013, 01:07 PM

A very similar thing happened to me with a SG300 Epiphone. The guitar was in a hard case, and the neck was snapped right below the headstock. I could not figure out how that could have happened, with absolutely no damage to the box or the case. Well upon close examination of the eBay close up photos, and with enhancements, it showed a hairline fracture exactly where the neck was broken. The seller tried to pull a fast one. I got the money back, plus my shipping, and the seller told me to keep the guitar. Well with all my money back, I had the guitar professionally repaired, and added Gibson upgraded electronics. So I now have a very Nice Epiphone SG-300, that cost me $150.00. With all Gibson electronics. The neck repair, is TOTALLY undetectable. It was done by GC, Murrietta, Ca., they send their stuff to a place in North Hollywood ??

Dan
Old 12-20-2013, 02:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

The new USPS insurance claim process is 100% online behind a website that (surprise) doesn't work most of the time. I had a claim this year on an acoustic guitar broken top and back by the post office. I submitted their claim form and all documentation online. They sent me a letter saying to take it to the local PO. I took it to the local PO and they looked and it and didn't know what to do (because the process is now online). They gave me receipts showing that they had inspected the damage. I submitted the receipts and all paperwork to the post office online and my claim was simply denied on the ground that they did not receive the proper paperwork. ??? They wont tell you what you're missing and you can't talk to anyone about the claim. Please don't use the USPS for shipping guitars. It may go real bad for you and they probably wont help when it does - at least thats my experience.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:31 PM

Cool USPS Guitar Damage Claim

I had damage on a guitar I purchased from a private party online, but the outer container showed no damage. I filed a claim with FedEx and then got the runaround from them for a week. I was just trying to find out the status of my claim, and was finally told they had settled with the shipper!

Then I got pissed! I had already provided a sales receipt showing that I owned the guitar and that I paid the seller for the insurance, even though the insurance was purchased by the seller. I also provided photos of the container, the packing materials and the guitar with a broken neck. In spite of all my effort, they sent a check for $100 to the seller (without even talking with him), hoping he would cash the check. I contacted the seller about the damage, and told him I had already filed a claim. I told FedEx that they would have to settle with ME, and had no right to send out a check to the seller as he did not own the guitar. I then went to Guitar Center to get an estimate to repair a broken neck on a Martin D-41. They stated on the repair estimate that the guitar required a replacement neck at a cost of $1600 and a labor charge of $150. It took several weeks to finally settle the claim, and I had to threaten a lawsuit, but they finally paid my claim.

I then used a little Titebond, and a single clamp and fixed the guitar myself. The repair is barely visible, unless you're actually looking for it by running your fingers over the volute on the back of the neck, and the headstock is stronger now than before it snapped, so (basically) I got my Martin D-41 for FREE! I'm happy with the outcome!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Did the shipping box show any signs of damage? If not, then the claim you have is not as "clear" as you think it might be. I have had guitars damaged in shipment that were clearly mishandled along the way (one seemed to be used as a surfboard to surf down the loading ramp), yet the shipping box was fully intact so the claim was denied. The burden of proof is on you, so make sure to document EVERYTHING with pictures and take copious notes about EVERYTHING that transpires and with EVERY conversation you have with them dealing with this issue. You will have some recourse with the shipper, especially if it was a credit card or paypal transaction. USPS won't typically deal with the receiver of the damaged goods, since the shipper payed them to ship it, so you will likely have to work with the shipper on this. A good start would be to notify your cc company or paypal of the issue to stop payment until a resolution is reached, which will put pressure on the shipper to handle the issue if they want to get paid for the transaction.
Just a comment on this. I always look for damage on the packaging while the truckie is still there. If there was any I would ask him to sign a suitable statement on my delivery docket. These days I might ask if he would have his photo taken with the damaged package.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:21 PM

I had a $500 USPS claim that they honored in a reasonable amount of time and way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion